Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggirl123

Should I hack a 5.5" cabinet for my leftover space?

Lisa
7 years ago

We have 5.5" left in between the space for our Dishwasher and the corner cabinet. I had thought it was going to be 4" so I was just planning on filler there, but it turns out it will be a little bigger than I thought.

If I cut down a 12" wide cabinet (Ikea) to 5.5" that will give me 4" of interior space. I think we could make a flat panel door from a cover panel we are not going to use. We have Shaker style doors, so the flat panel door won't look much different or better than filler, but at least the space would be usable.

That is assuming 4" of space is enough to be usable. I am thinking it might be a good place to hide my pizza peel and pizza stone. It may be easier to grab the stone from a lower spot than from the vertical storage over the oven.

Has anyone done anything similar?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'd buy the door with the cabinet, rip 'em both and glue the finished door edge back on. If you can't change your layout to eat up the 5 1/2", go for it.

Lisa thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Kim Ladin
    7 years ago

I agree, 4" could be great for those awkward large flat things.

Lisa thanked Kim Ladin
  • MizLizzie
    7 years ago

We had that little space, see pic. KD ordered a pullout dish towel holder but it didn't fit. Clever site supervisor cut me 3 little shelves (not shown) and it has become an amazingly useful nook for rolling pins, mandoline, long rolls of foil, etc. much more useful than a towel holder. We had a custom door front to go on it, so all he had to do was hinge it rather than drill it for the pullout, but they do make long baskets that hold like a load of Italian bread that we could have used. Getting the shelves in was hard, though, after the fact.

Lisa thanked MizLizzie
  • scrappy25
    7 years ago

I left my 5" space open with one shelf - store cutting boards on both levels. You can do something similar with or without a door, or get a rev a shelf pullout insert for between the cabinets.

Lisa thanked scrappy25
  • Xochitl
    7 years ago

I put a 3" RAS pullout next to my dishwasher. The only problem is the dishwasher gets what is in the shelf warm when it runs

, so for stuff like coffee filters, not a problem, but stuff like bitters or oils, not so good.

Lisa thanked Xochitl
  • salex
    7 years ago

Practigal just pointed me to this discussion that might help you figure out whether/how to make use of that narrow space:
    Pullout cabinet discussion

I currently have a 5.5" base cabinet, with no shelves, where I store platters and cutting boards. Initially I thought it was a silly size, but I've come to appreciate it and might even do two of them in my new kitchen. Good luck with your "hack"!

Lisa thanked salex
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone! Wow @xochitl, I did not realize you could do something with as little as 3". That is a good point about the dishwasher and making things warm.

• Xochitl
    7 years ago

Good luck!!

• suzanne_sl
    7 years ago

Very nice! I think you'll like this solution.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I can finally report on how we finished this cabinet and created the door.

I needed to use this stubby screwdriver to screw in the hinges. It barely fit.

I decided to create a shelf with the leftover piece of the bottom panel that I had chopped down when creating the cabinet. It was too long, but cutting off the part where the back panel fits in, made it just about perfect.

There was a little bit of chipping from cutting it down (on the left side), but it isn't really that obvious unless you are looking I will probably touch this up with paint at some point.

We cut the door to size, from a finished cover panel/filler we had ordered from Scherr's. I assume you could do this with an Ikea cover panel as well. We had a scrap that was long enough for the door and was finished on the top and the right side of the door. The bottom of and left side was cut mdf, so we covered that with some Veneer tape I got at Lowe's.

It was not a perfect fit, and if you look super close (below) you can see the edge, but it is not at all something you see when you are looking at the door. Mostly that edge is hidden on the hinge side and by the neighboring door.

To drill the main hinge holes we used this bit on a drill press. You could use a regular drill for this, but it will be a little bit harder to keep straight.

After that the hinges are installed as normal and a handle was added.

I'm using it to store pizza making tools. It was definitely worth the effort to create this. I wish the door could match the other doors and drawers with the Shaker stiles and rails, but this gap was just going to be a big filler piece anyway. This probably looks better than that would have, and now the space is useful.

• Katrina Tate
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Lisa Great hack! We are tweaking our Ikea design now and didn't even think about creating cubbies. I've spent a good part of today trying to deal with a blind corner without using the Ikea corner upper.

• Jolene Bessant
    5 years ago

This is a great hack. I might be using it to fill two 7" gaps on either side of my stove! Thanks for sharing.

• meagain1
    4 years ago

OMG thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! You have NO idea!