Software
Houzz Logo Print
bluelady

Question about crown molding and cables/lighting

10 years ago

I'm getting an external security camera installed and I need to have an ethernet cable run through my foyer and through the brick wall to the patio. Running it up the wall and across the ceiling is pretty expensive because it needs to run through multiple joists (drilling holes through each joist and cutting drywall holes across 10-12 feet of ceiling gets expensive, due to the labor. The installer suggested that they could just tack the cord up into the corners and I could cover it with crown molding. I don't have crown molding yet, and had considered getting it, but hadn't really thought too much about it. But if it makes the installation less expensive AND look more finished afterwards, then maybe that's the best solution.

So my question is: Does crown molding exist that has a hollow portion meant to tuck cables behind?

I know there's also an option to just install crown molding lower on the wall and put cables on top of it (I could also stick rope lighting up there at the same time), but that seems like a cleaning and painting nightmare. What would you do?

Comments (3)