Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleg69

Kitchen reveal: navy island and white cabinets

kelleg69
7 years ago

Many of you have seen photos of this kitchen as we were remodeling it. Well, we are moved in now, and it is pretty much done. I am really happy. One of my posts concerned the kitchen sink. I wasn't sure it would be big enough. It is the Kohler Riverby. I wanted a single basin that was 9 inches deep. I didn't want farm style. I wanted a 30 inch, but it only came in 8 inches deep. So, long story, short, I got the Riverby in 25 inches. My granite installer thought I had made a mistake in what I told her and had me in a panic. I love it though. Plenty of room. I also agonized over the pendants and their size--love them now--the backsplash, the color of outlet on island... All worked out and I am happy with my choices. Here are some pics. Let me know if you want any details. All appliances are Thermador except microwave, which is Sharp Over the Counter R-1214 (?). Countertop is quartz--Polarstone is the brand, Olympia the color. I love it!

Little TV area is still a mess!

Comments (65)

• mom2sulu
    7 years ago

Beautiful job! You did it! :)

Love the backsplash--can you share your source?

kelleg69 thanked mom2sulu
  • rebunky
    7 years ago

Gorgeous!

kelleg69 thanked rebunky
  • kelleg69
    Original Author
    7 years ago

To answer a couple of questions, the fridge and freezer are Thermador columns. The tile is marble and they call the variety Sienna. Not Carrara. Bought at a local tile warehouse place. Thanks for all the nice words. I will take a few more pics and share later.

• barncatz
    7 years ago

Lovely. That blue is such a fab choice for your island!

Would you mind sharing the height of the paneled soffit between the tv area and the kitchen? We are thinking of doing something similar and, of course, I started fretting about making the space feel too small. Yours reassured me because I really like how it looks.

kelleg69 thanked barncatz
  • aries61
    7 years ago

Kitchen came out very nice. Curious, can you tell me the size of the island pendents? I'm assuming you have a 8' ceiling.

I had the same problem with choosing a sink. Kohler recently came out with a 27" Riverby that I ordered.

kelleg69 thanked aries61
  • Illhhi
    7 years ago

Can you post a pic of your oven cabinet?

kelleg69 thanked Illhhi
  • zmith
    7 years ago

Gorgeous, kitchen! Everything works so well together. The navy island is a stand out feature. Well done! I also couldn't help but notice the very nice trim work around the kitchen/den opening.

kelleg69 thanked zmith
  • millymoo zone6B
    7 years ago

That's a stunningly beautiful kitchen & I love the choice of navy for the island. I'm a navy girl too(color, that is). Wanting to paint a room or hallway in navy. If I may ask, what color & brand of paint did you use or was it a custom job?

kelleg69 thanked millymoo zone6B
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

Very nice--great colors, especially the island!

kelleg69 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • amck2
    7 years ago

Fresh and pretty kitchen!

kelleg69 thanked amck2
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Just beautiful!

What paint color is the navy ?

kelleg69 thanked nosoccermom
  • DrB477
    7 years ago

Looks great!

I'm struggling with whether or not to get the fridge dispenser in a similar Thermador setup. I'd like to get rid of my water pitcher in the fridge. Obviously it breaks the integrated cabinet look some, but in stainless I think it looks still looks sleek and good. Are you happy with that choice?

kelleg69 thanked DrB477
  • Xochitl
    7 years ago

More pix! Lovely!!

kelleg69 thanked Xochitl
  • Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

Beautiful! I love blue in kitchens.

kelleg69 thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • kelleg69
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi all. Thanks for the nice comments. I will answer a few questions and post a few more photos. The blue is Ben Moore Newburyport Blue. We have painted a few rooms in that same color and love it. The paneling around the opening to little sitting room is about 15" tall. It saved us a lot of money to have the beam be lower than the ceiling. We were worried about it feeling closed off, but it doesn't. I had built a house about 7 years ago and we did the same appliances in this kitchen, including the fridge/freezer. We love the dispenser. Our old Thermador dispenser wasn't stainless. I love this new look. We struggled with whether or not to do it both times, but we drink way more water this way. So much easier. Kids fill water bottles all day long. Ceilings are probably a bit lower than 8 feet b/c they weren't level, so that had to be fixed. Pendants are about 18 inches tall and about 1.5 inches more with the ring at the top. I was worried they were too big, but am so happy I went with them. Being really light and open helps. Here are some more photos.

Here is Newburyport Blue in a room.

• Karen Eagle
    7 years ago

Great job! I like your choices - enjoy!

kelleg69 thanked Karen Eagle
  • Meris
    7 years ago

Looks beautiful! Congrats on a job well done.

• Pennie Heath
    7 years ago

love it!

• cat_mom
    7 years ago

Very nice!

• User
    7 years ago

Stunning!

• caligirl8i8
    7 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous! I'm so glad you love all of the choices you agonized over. It gives me hope! I love your pendants. Would you mind sharing a link or the name and where you bought them. Thanks!

• jem0223
    7 years ago

This is STUNNING! Can you please share your floor stain? Is it on red oak?

Thanks in advance!

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jem, thank you so much for the comment. The floors are oak. Not sure if they are red or white oak. It is a combination of ebony and Jacobean (pretty sure). I think the combo was one part ebony and three of Jacobean.

• monafh
    7 years ago

Love the blue, as well. Everything looks so nice, great choices. Can I ask how big is your overhang on your island?

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    7 years ago

monafh, thank you. The overhang is 15 inches with the inch overhang of the quartz. If I could do it again, I would try for more like 18 inches. We weren't sure how tight the island would feel with our opening to our sitting area. I had done another kitchen 7 years ago and had more like 22 inches for overhang. That was awesome! I like to cross my legs at the island, and my foot hits the back of the island. Hope that helps!

• Kelly Lemay
    7 years ago

Beautiful job! The pendants are so cool!!!

• jem0223
    7 years ago

kellyg69- Thank you! Would also love some info on your backsplash. Brand/color/size etc. LOVE it. My counters go in this Friday....and I am having heart palpitations. I saw the slabs today and honestly didn't love them. I am hoping I can get a similar backsplash like yours to pull it all together:) Thanks in advance!

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jem, what kind of counters did you get? I talk about the tile above. I got it at a tile warehouse store in Kansas City. They called the marble Sienna, not Carrara. The Tile Shop may have something similar. There are a few warm streaks in it, but it looks a lot like Cararra. I would love to see pics of your kitchen. There is a ton of help on this board. I would start a post on it to get ideas.

• kitchenchemist
    7 years ago

Beautiful. I particularly love the pendants!

kelleg69 thanked kitchenchemist
  • jem0223
    7 years ago

@kelleg69- I am having Zodiac London Sky installed. If I can figure out how to post I will when they are in. Thanks for the tip on the tile:)

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jem, I like London Sky. I bet it will be great. I think my counter material is similar.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Well done!

kelleg69 thanked bossyvossy
  • jem0223
    7 years ago

@kelleyg69

Here are the counters installed. Now to pick a backsplash! Any thoughts?

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Jem, I think your counters are great! Kitchen looks really pretty. Check out Tile Shop for a marble like mine or I think a gray subway would be great. There is a kitchen on this board that has a beautiful artisan gray backsplash. Maybe Romy???? That is where I would start, personally--gray subway--but something like Fireclay--subtle and hand fired...

Ok, I found it. It is Romy718's: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2704151/silver-crackle-backsplash-done?n=97

• jem0223
    7 years ago

@kelleyg69- YES! I love both yours and Romy718. Both are looks I would be thrilled with! It's looking a little blah at the moment. Floors go in Tuesday and I have to pick a stain. LOVE yours and I "think" I am going with Jacobean over red oak. Floor guy is going to bring some samples I think or put some stain option on the floor for me to see. AHHH.....so scared I will make the wrong choice. Eeeeek!

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You won't make the wrong choice. Jacobean is great. Have him do a few samples. Ours is a mix of Jacobean and ebony. I think your kitchen looks awesome. Really pretty. Your kitchen looks like it has great bones. I do understand how your feel though. I second guess everything!!!!

• jem0223
    7 years ago

@kellyg69- we must be related:)

• feisty68
    7 years ago

Fabulous colour scheme and materials. Congrats!

kelleg69 thanked feisty68
  • Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

I don't know how I missed this! My favorite! I have white cabs, navy island and marble on the island. I LOVE your paneled fridge - I don't have that. Awesome job! Very beautiful!

kelleg69 thanked Debbi Branka
  • Clare B
    7 years ago

Kelleg69 - beautiful job! What color are your white perimeter cabinets? My Olympia is with the fabricator now and will be installed on Thursday. Still deciding on the right white for the cabinets. Thanks!

• nuppal
    6 years ago
    This is beautiful. I am doing the same color choices too. Did you go with white cabinets or off-white? I know there are a lot of whites Thank you!
  • Carolyn Bassin
    3 years ago

What are the pendants? They are adorable!

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn. They are from Shades of Light (catalog/website). I still like them almost four years later.

• M Khelp
    2 years ago

Is your microwave flush with your cabinets? Can you explain how deep your cabinets are and if you needed to leave open space for the door to open. i love the look!! And am trying to do the same thing. Sharp is not being helpful with answering my questions.

• Keshet Starr
    2 years ago

This is beautiful! Super random question--where are your dining chairs from? I love that style and have been looking!

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My chairs are from a local KC shop: Nell Hill's. Ballard Designs sells a similar chair for a lot more money. They aren't comfortable, though, unfortunately. I love the look, but no one likes to sit in them for very long. I am thinking of having pillows made to behind your back while sitting there.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just seeing the comment on the microwave above. It is not flush with the cabinets. We love this model of microwave and put it in this house and our Florida condo. Here is a photo. You can see how it juts out a bit ...probably a few inches. I can try to get a better photo later.

• Keshet Starr
    2 years ago

So good to know @kelleg69--I think I've seen similar ones at Ballard but was hesitant on the price!

• Terri Grover
    2 years ago

I'm working on a renovation now. Love this! What color is the blue in the island?

• Terri Grover
    2 years ago

Oops, I just saw, Newburyport blue. What about the white cabinets?