Software
Houzz Logo Print
mont215

Budget Kitchen "refresh"

10 years ago
We currently have a lot of projects and lack the funds to completely overhaul the kitchen (as much as it needs it) the appliances will be replaced one at a time to eventually be matching stainless, the counter will be replaced with a new laminate, cabinets painted with new hardware , new door, crown moulding, the strange barn shaped arch will be squared off, looking at new and interesting light fixtures...major cleaning and organization (any advice on that is welcome too!) will also be a part of this project. My thought was to paint the cabinets slightly lighter than the walls (revere pewter) put beadboard horizontal and stained lighter as the backsplash-with so much paint I'm hoping the wood will bring some warmth. It's a small work area in a small ear in kitchen. This house has been in the family for over 30 years and is a waterfront ranch in NJ. I would like the outcome to be much less cluttered (so please overlook the mess of a counter) and have a comfortable homey feel. I know what we'd do if we were able to start fresh but what do we do with what we have? Oh, almost forgot the table is staying it's a family piece chairs can go! Thanks for any help, I've been at a loss!

Comments (31)

  • 10 years ago
    Here is a closer look at the table and a picture of the new curtains
  • 10 years ago

    Horizontal headboard seems like it would be even harder to keep clean than vertical headboard.

  • 10 years ago

    I wouldn't think of new paint or backsplash until you find a way to get more storage. Can you add cabinets between the uppers and the ceiling?

  • 10 years ago
    That is a good point, I was thinking of something that would look a little different. Currently there isn't a lot of cooking done in here, it hasn't been a room we enjoy being in.
  • 10 years ago
    Hi grover, I feel privelaged to have you stop by! I have thought about that but it's hard to imagine how. The cabinets are old (original) and would be difficult to match..also I wouldn't want too! I have thought about the ikea cabs with the hydraulic lift door but am afraid they're too modern for this place. Any ideas are very welcome!
  • 10 years ago
    your family table is cute. I would look for lighter appearing white chairs to go with it.
  • 10 years ago
    could I see a photo of the kitchen side of the arch opening wall?
  • 10 years ago

    Is there another eating area - like a dining room?

  • 10 years ago

    mont, the biggest problem here is lack of storage. I like the current colors of your cabinets, and you could paint your current chairs white to immediately brighten the room. But nothing will have much impact unless you can clear the counters and the cabinet tops. Is there someplace you could put a pantry? How about eliminating the pass-thru altogether and making that a pantry wall?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I like your cabinets actually. The most glaring issues I see is your lighting and clutter. I would change bulbs out first, add under cabinet lights, & take everything you don't use daily off the counters and above cabinets.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    A raspberry paint which would seem bright and informal, more so than current wood stain?

  • 10 years ago
    The lack of storage is definitely a big issue. The laundry room does have some cabinets that can be used. Before we do anything we want to empty the room and sort through things. The kitchen does get a lot of light during the day, I'll try and get a pic when the suns out (overcast day today). This is the only dining area, and I really do like the chairs but for the abuse they get I would prefer a wood seat. There is a small china cabinet for the table that could go in the living room and provide a little extra storage. The arch has to stay as it brings light into the living room.
  • 10 years ago
    I had thought of a cabinet similar to this idea for over the uppers. I feel like glass doors may blend better but the wood will hide my storage and be more practical. I'm just not sure it would look right.
  • 10 years ago
    and I forgot to attach...
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    What if you raised the existing cabinets and added a shelf below them for all the stuff that is on the counters.


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I really like the cabinets! I'd look into adding another row on top.

    Additionally, I'd remove EVERYTHING in your kitchen, then replace after ensuring each item is truely used and needed. Part of a fresh kitchen, imo, is looking at a kitchen with very little on the surfaces, usually just a few select pieces.


    I see things like the mixer- I know I use mine once or twice a week, but I'm able to keep it in the pantry. Would that be an option? The same for the little oven (can't think of the name). Find an undermount for your paper towels, and that will get those off the counter :). Do you have an office or other space you could use for all the office-like items? Or, if you do add more cabinets, could you make a "cabinet command center" (google it) for your office items?

  • 10 years ago
    I really do like the shelf idea! I'll look more into that. Might have to stand on a chair to get sone of the stuff on the top shelf but it looks to be fitting of the house. My fear is that they would become catch alls. I could move the mixer unfortunately the toaster oven has to stay.
  • 10 years ago
    A thought, if I were to get unfinished oak cabinets (bridge cabs that normally go over appliances) and stained them but painted the old cabs would that look strange? The door style is never going to match so I thought maybe this would be the best route to go??? It would give us the much needed storage and I think fit the cottage/bungalow beach house look. Given the space and little budget I know this isn't a big exciting reno but I truly appreciate the time everyone has taken to make suggestions. I do think with your help this could be a comfortable and functional kitchen, thank you all very much.
  • 10 years ago
    I think it could work..your current cabinets have a basic flat panel on doors. you could get them with a frosted or patterned glass for a more open look but still hide contents. I've used reeded glass before and it worked nicely. you could see color through it but not details
  • 10 years ago

    Often, it's not more storage we need but less stuff. Be very sure that you're holding on to things because you use them and not because they might come in handy if we ever decide to get in the wedding cake decorating business ( just an example)

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you Rubyroses. I like the idea of glass and the reeded glass might work while keeping a light feeling. It's not easy working with whats here!
  • 10 years ago

    When I redid my kitchen and needed to de-clutter, I took everything off the counters, off the top of the fridge, and everything magnetized to the fridge, and put it all in one box. I put the box in another room during the reno, and then slowly took things back out only as needed. It's been 8 months, and most of the stuff is still in the box in a spare room, and will be donated/sold over the summer.

    I can't tell what your backsplash is now, but I'd either paint it white, or replace it with white tiles. I really (REALLY) wanted beadboard for my backsplash, too, but wiser minds convinced me it would be a cleaning nightmare. There's a company that makes beadboard-look tile, but it's insanely expensive. I wound up using large white tiles with a linear texture to them. The tiles are 18" x 6", and the space between the counter and upper cabinets is 18", so I put them in vertically. It gave me the "feel" of what I originally wanted, but it so easy to keep clean.

    I like the idea of raising the cabinets to the ceiling, and putting a shelf below. I didn't wind up doing that in my kitchen only because mine's an odd shape and it wouldn't have looked right. Just beware that you may have to re-sheetrock the walls. Still, I think that's a great option for you.

    If you're going to replace the chairs anyway, put a storage bench under the opening, to also be used for sitting at the table. If you make the top a little longer than the storage part, you can keep the dog's bowls under the overhang.

  • 10 years ago
    leelee and orangecamera, decluttering (getting rid of stuff) is definitely in order! I have most of our kitchen things in storage -probably need an extra garbage can!! LOL! We share the house with my father, moved in after my mother suddenly passed away so we weren't ready to really go through things. I'm still not prepared for that undertaking, it's overwhelming! I do really like the shelf idea but in reality I know it would be a mess in no time.
  • 10 years ago

    I would get matching baskets and use those on top of the cabinets. I would put rarely used items in them, even non kitchen items from a closet, maybe even the laundry room you mentioned to help clear more space in the laundry room if it is more easily accessible then the top of a cabinet. I would put a square of fabric on top of each basket to keep the dust out. I would not put any decorative items up there, but put a small shelf on another wall for those. I have some of my frying pans on the wall and a small thing of baskets to help with a little storage:

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~47408852

    I have a pie safe which stores many of my groceries. It is in the kitchen, but it could work in another room, so your thought of a pretty cabinet placed in another room is a good idea. You can also leave the wall cabinets where they are but still add a small shelf underneath.


    It is very difficult to find space especially with a child - they need a cupboard all their own with the plastic bowls and sippy cups:)

    You might be able to fit a small corner cabinet in the area of the high chair.

    I have beadboard in my laundry room and in a bathroom. I do not find it hard to keep clean - in fact my backsplash area does not get that dirty. However, I would do it vertical - the traditional way - or just paint what you have, which looks like beadboard:)

  • 10 years ago
    I really like that shelf! It would be perfect to hold kids cups, napkins and still too small to get too messy! Getting baskets is a great and econmical idea, thanks
  • 10 years ago
    I've been working on some projects outside but am still trying to figure out this kitchen. Coveting a clean and comfortable space! My current thought is to add unfinished oak cabinets on the top of the larger stretch of cabinets-adding more storage and giving a new look while also using an oak sink base cabinet (the existing one could use replacing) and adding an upper and lower oak cab next to the stove. I would stain the oak and the existing cabinets would be painted. In my mind it could be interesting with the mix of wood and painted cabs my fear is that in reality it might look a little crazy!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    You mentioned having to reach the top, you know, but I keep my plastic items there, that are safe to snatch quickly.... I have a large serving tray, paper plates... what about bringing the cabinets up then/ with shelves underneath?

  • 10 years ago
    I have so much that rarely gets used and even more in storage that I think the second set of uppers would help..and would definitely put plastic items up there- especially the extra storage containers that are apparently precious! I do like the idea of a shelf for smaller things. I am curious as to thoughts about the different cabinet styles.
  • 10 years ago

    There are some home bloggers who have added cabinets to the top of their kitchen cabinets. Try a google search of "adding cabinets on top of existing cabinets" to see what they did. here is one:

    http://www.thriftydecorchick.com/2015/09/building-cabinets-up-to-ceiling.html

    If you like a country or primitive style you can make different cabinets work more easily. The thing is to get them to work like you meant it to look that way and not that you put random cabinets up with no rhyme or reason.

    I love this kitchen with different color cabinets:


    It can be part of an "unfitted" kitchen look - which is how old country kitchens often looked:



    I have been pulling together a kitchenette for my basement using reclaimed cabinets and shelves. It doesn't have the storage you need, but there is a lot you can do with shelves and cabinetry to make your kitchen pretty and functional.

    Here is a pick of the basket idea I mentioned earlier:


  • 10 years ago
    Thank you, I really do like the first picture. Budget was really the inspiration for this idea. The door styles wouldn't match and while country or rustic isn't necessarily the direction I'm going in, the house is a small beach(ish) waterfront home I thought the look could lend itself to a casual and imperfect but comfortable feel.... And I'd gain some extra storage! Thank you again it's nice to see this isn't such a crazy thought and might actually turn out nice!