Software
Houzz Logo Print
js503312

Transplanting Crape Myrtles.

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Hi, I would like to transplant 2 Natchez Crape Myrtles to another area of my backyard, I'm in Zone 7A. They are 4' tall now. I want to move them where they would have more space to spread.

Is it safe to transplant them now before the end of June? and it gets too hot or should I wait until September-Fall to avoid any problems once transplanted? We get full sun in our backyard where they would be transplanted. Hope I gave enough details, if not let me know. Thanks!

Comments (8)

  • 10 years ago

    You should wait until after they drop all of their leaves in the winter/fall, absolutely.


    Js312 thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Fall (Oct-Nov) might be a more ideal time, but I have successfully transplanted them in June, and at a similar height. They did show some transplant shock, but bounced back. They're tough. If you do it, obviously try to do as little damage as possible to the roots, dig a big enough new hole before you dig up the Crape, and keep them well watered in their new spot--I do a thorough hose drip on them once or more a week until established (if no rain).

    Js312 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    you were spot on .. timing is imperative with moving trees.. shrubs.. and conifers ...


    you can not mutilate its root system.. days before the heat of summer .. and then wonder why they look ugly as heck all summer ... or die outright ...


    so the long cool days of fall .. or winter in warmer zones .. right into very early spring.. is usually best .. [cant do it in winter.. in ground freeze areas]


    in my MI.. i like to say ... april.. 6 to 8 weeks before the onslaught of summer heat ..


    all that said ... you do what you have to do.. when you have to do it ... if there were a construction project.. or some such.. go for it ... understanding the issues above ..


    ken

    Js312 thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for your advice I will wait to transplant them, they are healthy and thriving and I don't want to take any risks moving them now.

  • 10 years ago

    "Am I the only one who would say move them now?"

    Well, I would do it. And I would be successful.

    But I know how to water and devise shade if necessary, and how to look out for stress- I have great observational skills with regard to my plants. And I have all the time in the world to fool with them.

    But on a forum where you have no idea regarding the level of follow-up care someone will provide it can be dicey to recommend certain procedures. Most posters will err of the side of caution when handing out advise to someone they are not familiar with.


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    With crepes in zone 7a I think the risk of winter dieback after a fall transplant is even worse than some stress from a late spring transplant.

    For most hardy shrubs, yes, wait until fall. But not with crepes, especially when they are that small.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi. I transplanted a 6+' Natchez CM last year in late May (happened to be a very hot day) following above advice on hole size, roots, initial watering etc. It was a pretty hot summer, just kept it watered. It survived the winter including the 24" snow. It hasn't flowered yet but I don't expect it too until later this summer. My crepe transplant was from a certified nursery.