Software
Houzz Logo Print
ljsquishy

Question for trash pull-out lovers

10 years ago

I just have to ask --

How do you all open your trash pull-outs when you have raw meat hands?!

I briefly considered making room for one in our new kitchen but then it occurred to me that there is no foot lever or motion sensor to open the can when you are handling raw meat. It was a deal breaker for me, but so many people suggest them here on Houzz so I had to ask. :) I can't imagine washing my hands just to be able to open the trash bin to discard meat packages or excess fat, etc and then have to wash my hands again after throwing it away. Is that what you all do??

Comments (27)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I don't. Mine is electric. I just push it in slightly with my knee, arm, elbow and it comes out.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm doing an electric push out with Ikea. You push with your knee and the trash side pops out.

  • 10 years ago

    I make a mental note to pull the trash can out ahead of time before I get my hands dirty. This pullout business is new to me, so it's like learning how to walk again! :P

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Count me as another fan of the electric servo motor. For the first week it was in, I pretty much did nothing but stand in the kitchen and open the drawer with my knee.

  • 10 years ago

    We keep ours open during prep time.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    It's called the Blum Servodrive or the cheaper Ikea Utrusta. It's addictive- I find myself pushing my knees on the other cabinets and expecting them to open.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I can open mine by hooking my toe under the door ;), but I wash my hands a lot while I'm in the kitchen, and not just when I'm prepping meat--think bread dough, oil, etc. I can also open the door by hooking a finger behind the top. Maybe I'm just a messy cook, but I don't understand why washing one's hands before and after, or even wiping down the door hardware after, is such a chore.

  • 10 years ago

    Servo drive.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Typically I wash my hands immediately if I've touched raw meat. On the rare occasions I open my trash can and have messy things on my hands, I wipe down the knob (my pullout has a knob, not a handle) with a soapy Dobie pad.

  • 10 years ago

    There's also toe-kick levers you can put in.


    We've been testing our handles-to-be & one thing my wife complained about was that she could open the trash with a pinky finger when it was just a knob, but a handle, she couldn't...

  • 10 years ago

    I'd love to have a pull-out that can be opened hands-free, but I don't. Still, I'd rather have a pull-out than not have one, so I just deal with it. Touch it - clean the handle.

  • 10 years ago

    Our trash pullout has a fake drawer stack front; I can open with my foot using the bottom pull :-0

  • 10 years ago

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6XCcSl6elw If I had paid more attention I would have had my builder put in the rev a shelf system that comes with the servo drive. They put in the standard one with the soft close. We removed the soft close feature (it was too strong) and put in the Ikea Utrusta. I believe if you buy this it has both the motor and soft close. Just make sure an outlet is installed inside the cabinet. Good luck! the http://www.cabinetparts.com/p/revashelf-organizers-kitchen-organizers-RV4WCSD2150DM2?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp11744125&sc_intid=RV4WCSD2150DM2&gclid=CIGuxIutmc0CFZM6gQodhnYIPg

  • 10 years ago

    My cabinet maker is telling me I can go with a Blum product called Tip-On instead of Servo as it's cheaper and does the same thing.

    I tried them both out in a showroom on side by side drawers and couldn't tell the difference. With Tip On, you don't need power, it's mechanical.

    Any one have any experience with Tip On?

  • 10 years ago

    Well I guess it all makes sense now! I didn't realize there were electric mechanisms for them! It's too late for me to incorporate one now since our kitchen is all finished and we close on our house in a few weeks but I was curious. Now I know. :)

  • 10 years ago

    You can always install after the fact if you have a plug in the cabinet.

  • 10 years ago

    We got the push thing from Ikea but it is not installed yet, so I can't report on how great (or not great) it works. But I always washed my hands, then was able to open garbage, and dispose of the scraps, etc by scraping the knife back on the cutting board and going directly into the garbage. My hands did not get dirty again usually.

  • 10 years ago

    Same as Pal

  • 10 years ago

    OT, sorry Lisa G. Hi Palimpsest!!! How is your kitchen coming along?

  • 10 years ago

    Mine is manual, and I rarely don't have at least one uncontaminated finger to pull it out. And if I have to use a messy hand, I simply use a Clorox wipe to clean it.

    That issue would never stop me from getting a pull out.

    Being used to it, I pull out the cans before I get messy, most of the time. Again, it's really no big deal to sanitize.

  • 10 years ago

    Like Pal, I keep a paper towel ready to grab the handle.

  • 10 years ago

    Sometimes I plan ahead and have it open, or use a paper towel. I don't like to put raw meat products in the trash, as we only go to the dump about once a month. Even though I keep the trash in a remote shed, meat products really stink! I rinse the packaging a bit, and meat scraps and bones go in the freezer, either to make stock or to go to the dump. Vegetable matter goes to compost.

    The problem for me was handling raw meat to put it on the grill, and then try to enter the house, go to the sink and turn on the faucet with marinade dripping off of my hands. I bought a big pack of disposable restaurant gloves and solved that problem.

  • 10 years ago

    I also have a box of food service gloves. Really cheap.

  • 10 years ago

    I do the same as Javiwa . I open the trash while I'm prepping to scrape waste in.

  • 10 years ago

    I 1) usually remember to open it before working with raw meat, but if I forget I 2) use my bare foot, or if wearing shoes 3) ask someone to open it for me, and, finally, if all of the above fail I wash my hands. Sounds complicated, but I'm in category #1 95% of the time. Love my trash pullout!

  • 10 years ago

    We have a foot pedal/door opener (Hafele/Hilo?). I think we were hearing/reading about the servo drive, Tip-On systems after we'd finished our kitchen.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH