Software
Houzz Logo Print
michele_downey

Expanding deck to improve water view

10 years ago
I could use some exterior design assistance please!

This photo is the back of our house, which overlooks a street and then a gorgeous water view across that street. Because of the way it is situated, the back of the house is seen by many many more people than the front of the house.

I'm starting to plan a project to enlarge the deck and improve the views from both inside and outside the house. As part of the project, I plan to replace the deck railing with something that does not block the view. I'm currently considering either glass or steel cable.

I understand the pros and cons of both glass and cable. However, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, am I ruining the look of the house? I always considered the house to be a somewhat cottage style and I am about to get rid of a primary feature: the white deck railing. And replace it with something more contemporary.

Changing the style of house doesn't bother me, as the interior is more transitional. I'm concerned that the exterior elements will not be congruent and the exterior will look like a mish-mash of styles.

Any feedback on this concern? Any suggestions to think about as I plan the project? Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)