Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amylinjy

Is my succulent drying or rotting? How to save it?

Amy
7 years ago

I got my succulent
about 2 days ago. The seller had already planted the succulent in the pink pot.
I was very happy to receive my first succulent that I didn't notice how some
parts of it look very unhealthy :(

Today the leaves are
looking worse than before. I did some research and learned to not use a spray
bottle for watering (the spray bottle came with the succulent kit that I
bought).

Is my succulent
drying or rotting? How do I save it?

bathroom by the window (it doesn't get harsh light)

Photo 1

Day 1 - I broke off one piece so that I can grow
another succulent in the blue pot. For some reason I didn't notice the black
part.

Photo 2 - Day 1 of the succulent

Photo 3 - Day 3 (today) Bad looking leaves

Photo 4 - Day 3 Close up of the succulent

Comments (8)

• Amy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi socks! Thank you for the help!

Here is the additional information you have requested:

Does it have roots?

Yes.

Does the pot have a hole in the bottom?

Yes.

What soil are you using?

I am not sure :( The little baggie of soil that came with the kit says "Natural potting mix." Here is a picture of the soil from that little baggie.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    7 years ago

Hi, Amy, and welcome to our obsession!

Have you repotted the plant since you brought it home, or is this how it was situated in the pot at purchase? Did the roots look healthy? It is too low in the pot. The leaves shouldn't be pushed against the side of the pot. This will cause the plant to stretch for sun (etiolation) and prevent good air circulation.

Did the soil come with the kit? Do you happen to know what is in it? It looks like it has a lot of peat in it. This is not good for succulents. It holds too much water and can lead to rot. Even when the top feels dry, it can be wet underneath. I think your plant will do better with a grittier mix. You can add an equal amount of perlite to soil for better drainage.

When you water, flush the pot well until it runs out of the drainage hole. And do not water again until the soil it dry. You can check to see if it is dry by inserting a skewer. If it comes out damp, don't water.

Succulents like a lot of light and even full sun. I can't really judge by your bathroom window, but a south facing window is the best. I know - we don't all have south facing windows.

Amy thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • socks
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The seller planted it low in the pot like that and told you to spray it? In my opinion, these are not good ways to treat a succulent!

What are those white crumbles I see on top of the soil? It looks different from the picture above.

Does the package say exactly what is in the soil? It looks too moist for succulents. What you want is a soil with no peat. It could be that your succulent is rotting from soil too wet or from too much watering. They need a very fast draining soil and watering only when very dry. If you must use that soil, mix it with something like aquarium gravel 50/50 or perlite (from nursery). Cactus and succulent soil is available from nurseries, but it's recommended to mix it with perlite.

I wish I could be more help and hope someone else will add their opinion.

PS If this one doesn't make it (and I'm not saying it will die, ok??)--please don't let this discourage you from an interest in succulents. They are very fun and easy to grow, you just need a little information to do it correctly. Reading other threads here on the forum can be really helpful. Good luck.

Amy thanked socks
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    7 years ago

I agree with socks. And your plant may have been overwatered before you purchased it. There could be some mechanical damage - especially since it was potted too low, also called underpotting. It is good to let the plant rest, don't water, for a few days after repotting. That allows the roots to heal so any little breaks don't lead to rot.

Getting the potting right is half the battle. That's a cute little pot, so we just have to get the right mix in it! ; )

Amy thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • Amy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi @Crenda!

Thank you so much
    for the help!

Repotting - No, I
    didn't repot it (it was repotted from a different container to my pink pot by
    the seller before shipment though). It came overflew with the soil (please see
    the photo below, I took pictures of every little step because it is my first succulent/plant
    ^^). To "clean the mess", I went ahead and dump the overflew soil
    into my blue pot (arrgggg).

Roots - How do I
    tell if the roots look healthy? I took a picture of the root just now.
    Something terrible happened while trying to take a picture of the root :'( I
    was trying to get a good angle of the roots and dropped the succulent by
    accident… I went ahead and put in the overflew soil. Is it going to die for
    sure now? :'(

How it arrived (overflew)

Photo before purchase:

Day 3 (Today) Photo of the root:

Day 3 (Today) Photo after
    refilling:

Soil content - Yes,
    the soil came with the kit. Unfortunately all it says on the pocket is
    "natural potting mix". I did contact the seller after reading your
    message, so hopefully I will find out what is in there soon.

Window direction -
    oh goodness I am directionally challenged :x if my phone is accurate, it is
    facing north. I do have a facing south window that I might be able to use.

@socks,

Oh no. It is planted
    low due to my mistake. It came overflew with the soil (please see the photo
    below, I took pictures of every little step because it is my first
    succulent/plant). To "clean the mess", I went ahead and dump the
    overflew soil into my blue pot (arrgggg).

Spraying - the kit
    came with a little spray bottle, so I assumed I should use it :x

White crumbles - Not
    sure x.x I did contact the seller after reading the comments though, so
    hopefully I will find out soon. Yes, it looks like the pink pot has more
    content than the baggie of soil.

Thank you so much
    for being so kind, helpful, and encouraging! :)))

• socks
    7 years ago

OMG, I've never seen a plant potted up that way (as you received it!). I would not recommend buying from them again. No spraying, OK....?? lol....

Your repot looks much better. You could even have gone a tad higher. Looks like your soil has some perlite, and that's good. Should have more, though.

Find out which window gets the most sunlight and put your plant there. If it's super-bright or very hot there, move it in gradually little by little. Don't water until a stick comes out dry. Cannot give you a timeline on that.

Obviously I don't know where you live, but do you have a Home Depot, Lowes, any nursery or any place that sells succulents near you? They would be much better choices for shopping. If you know others who grow succulents, ask for cuttings and then ask here how to get them started.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    7 years ago

Ah - now that I know your plant was mailed to you, I do believe the damage to your plant is mechanical. It got bashed around, and apparently buried, in the mail. The roots do not look mushy or slimy, so that is good. No rot.

I agree that you could, and probably should use more perlite or grit in the mix. Even WalMart carries perlite, so you should be able to find some. 50/50 works well for most plants.

Here's a thought - If you really want a plant in your bathroom, and you have that nice blue pot, maybe you could make enough mix for both pots and get a plant that likes filtered light. Hoyas and peperomia would work and can usually be found in the houseplant section of Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart.

Fill the blue pot with sifted perlite (to remove the dust and fine particles. I'd rinse it, too) to the same level as the dirt in the pink pot. Mix them together well in a bucket or dish pan. Refill the pots and pot your plants in the new mix. Just a suggestion!

Here's what we would like for your mix to look like. Lots of perlite!

And after you buy a lot more plants, we will badger you to make up gritty mix for your plants! LOL