Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moogers

On to the Bedroom

moogers
7 years ago
Attached are pictures of our master. I have been trying for years to "get it right," but felt I never have. Recently put hardwood floors down. New headboard. Took everything off of walls. Bought a sisal rug. Trying to go more classy shabby, if that's a style. Drapes will go. I want sleeker Roman blind shades. Want to paint the dresser if feasible. Need a new chandelier Any inspirational thoughts? You guys were great when I was doing my shelves in the great room! How do I put a link to this dilemma on my book shelve page? Thanks, guys.

Comments (28)

• moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Houzz is being difficult right now, so I apologize if this is double posted. Here is the armoire as seen from the bed and some fabric I am contemplating for the blinds.
  • Elle
    7 years ago

I would start by removing the bench, plant stand, and small chair with hats, and the piece in front of the window to have less furniture overall. I would suggest getting a new comforter in a light color from the dust ruffle since the current one clashes a little with the headboard color, and adding some decorative pillows that include some cream and some pattern.

• moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Dust ruffle is going. That's a cedar chest in front of the window and is needed for dresser storage.
  • moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I guess the only things staying for now are the headboard, cedar chest, armoire, plaid chair and dresser. Drapes, pillows and dust ruffle are changing. The rest can go. I'll post a picture a little bit later.
  • moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is the post I'm going to keep. I see that I made several postings, as Houzz kept saying it couldn't post my dilemma. I hate it when that happens!
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    7 years ago

Is that a down comforter that you could get a duvet for. It looks like the fabric you have chosen for the shades is dark and that will definitely close your room in. IMO you should go with a lighter fabric for the shades and use the darker fabric that you have for a comforter.

• moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Better picture of fabric. Black background with reds, golds, tan and grey. It will be used for the Roman shades and perhaps as a trim on a solid light colored dust ruffle.
  • moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Good thought. The room is pretty tall with vaulted ceilings, though.
  • Bev
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Great choice of fabric! Looks like Art Nouveau, which I love. This will
    look great as Roman shades and trim for the bed. There are several
    colors in the
    fabric that you can use for paint color and accessories. I would choose
    gold, tan, or grey to paint your bedroom walls and red and black for pillows. If you want to paint your
    dresser,
    I would suggest black chalk paint. Chalk paint is what I'm going to use
    to
    paint all of my bedroom furniture!

• PRO
    Stair Solution, LLC
    7 years ago

We love the nice clean look of the room!

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Here are the colors Sherwin Williams (via my computer) "sees" in your fabric. That Icy Lemonade yellow would really brighten your room. How about flipping the bed and armoire? I believe that would put your bed opposite the entry door. Studies prove this location provides more restful and secure sleep. Angle the chair and footstool in front of the larger window, facing the smaller window which will be left of the bed for dual views. Add a floor lamp by it for reading. Paint the dresser and chest with chalk paint. Any colors from the fabric will work, and you can make your own DIY chalk paint adding plaster of Paris and water to regular latex paint. Place the chest at the foot of the bed with a cushion on top made from your fabric. The chest can stay in its current location.

• moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We flipped the bed and armoire when we put the furniture back in after the hardwood was installed. It didn't work. The armoire looked really lost being the only thing on that long wall and there was no where to put the checked chair. There are only two usable corners in the room. The other two are taken up by the entry into the bedroom and another for to the outside.
  • moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you so much, deco, for doing that for me. That really helps. I am currently using Annie Sloan on a glider for my first grand baby. :) I am familiar with chalk paint and love it, but I really was wondering what colors to use on the dresser in the bedroom. I really like those color! I need an opinion. I am having the blinds made. The seamstress suggested using my current black drapery poles to hang the blinds on instead of mounting them to a board. I'm thinking of lowering them to just above the window trim. Any thoughts on these curtain ideas?
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

I can't really see your ceiling well but get the impression it is vaulted and the same color as the walls. Looks like your windows have wide original trim. If the trim is nice I would mount the shades inside it to show off the woodwork. Can't recall ever seeing romans mounted with a rod. Do you have a photo of that to share?

• moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Deco, I have never seen it either. My ceiling is vaulted, and painted two graduated shade colors lighter than the walls. I originally wanted inside mounts, but we have wooden blinds installed which are necessary for privacy. The Roman shades have to be outside mount for that reason--no room to install them at the top inside of the windows. Just curious, what's your opinion of bringing the mount down to the top of the windows? I've always had side panels mounted higher and wanting a change, but not if it looks "off."
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

So the romans are faux for decorative look only over the wood blinds? I did find this photo with a functional roman inside mounted and a stationary type of cornice on a rod above it. I think this look could work with the faux roman and you could expose or cover your top trim. Cut out some paper and tape it up with painter's tape to see what looks best to you. Here the outer cornice extends past the frame on the sides, and they are exposing the decorative arch.You could expose the trim above it if you think it looks best, or you can cover it with the rod and cornice/roman. Tape and sissors are your best friend for deciding on the right look for your room.

Eclectic, Chinoiserie Elements, Kitchen and Family Room, Alpharetta GA · More Info

• Ann
    7 years ago

I have a window with a lot of wall above it in my dining room and I decided to trick the eye with my new roman shade and hang it from the ceiling. This is just a faux shade (or rather an actual short shade). Behind it is a functional pleated shade that is inside mounted.

My House · More Info

• moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ann, how far does your Roman blind hang below the top of your window?
  • moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm looking at one of the Windows and trying to decide if the blind should be hung where the panels are currently hung, or moved down to the top of the window trim. Any opinions? I'm thinking lower would open the room up more, or am I wrong? Will they look like postage stamps?
  • Ann
    7 years ago

I'd hang the shade where the rod currently is. The bottom of mine is about 6" below the top of the window right now. It lowers to about the middle of the window because I wanted it to look kind of real. It is actually real, but just short.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

To make a room look larger, hanging where you have the rod now is the key. Another part of the equation is hanging the panels so they just barely cover the side frames of the window. High and wide for drapery panels. Blinds are different, but you already have blinds. What you are looking to install is a faux roman shade or a fabric cornice. I would mount it half way to where you have the rod now.

Modern in a classic Bungalow · More Info

Traditional Dining Room · More Info

• Ann
    7 years ago

I would order yours as outside mount and about as wide as your current rod. Then hang the top of it right where your rod is. If you order an actual one like I did, you can order it in a length where the remaining sections will kind of fold nicely right at the spot you want it to land. So, I went to the "The Shade Store" and played with their sample ones to see just how many inches from the top the shade lowered to a nice, clean fold with enough at the bottom to make it look real. I wanted it to cover all of my wall part and just a tad of the top of the window. The cord is mounted so it just wraps behind the side of my shade and the shade never moves, but it would actually lower about another foot or two. As I mentioned, if I ever want privacy, I have an old inside mount pleated shade in the window. I don't really need that but I left it up just in case.

I really love my new shade so my daughter just got one for her window. For hers, she did outside mount but we hung hers at the top of her window frame. It looks nice and I haven't said anything, but I regret that we didn't hang hers at the ceiling. Hers is a regular length that goes to the bottom of her window, but I still wish we would have started it at the ceiling. I was worried hers would have too much bulk when lifted since it's longer, but I really prefer the way it looks when hung from the top of the wall rather than the top of the window frame.

I like Deco's Traditional Dining Room example too. That one is hung nice and high too, just below the ceiling trim.

• Ann
    7 years ago

Be prepared, these window treatments are expensive but you probably guessed that as I bet your drapes were also:)

• moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I think I agree with you guys. What has been annoying me is the wall space between the window and the rod, but the Roman shade hung high will cover that. I'm going to order the fabric tomorrow. Now what to do with a bedskirt? Have to have one, my husband is a pillow guy and has at least three hidden under there for use at bedtime? Bedskirt same as window fabric?
  • PRO
    HCD Group Corp
    7 years ago

You have done a great job with the room so far! But if you would like to change it up, I would definitely try to paint the furniture that you have to match the headboard that you have (if that is a color that you would like to keep) because the light colored furniture will open up the room, usually the dark furniture darkens the room making it seem smaller. I would also try to remove any extra furniture that you don't regularly use, for example if you don't use the bench, i would remove that and just keep the chair that you have on the side, that way it makes the room feel more open and inviting.

• moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Still working on my bedroom. My apologies for not updating sooner, but still waiting for my Roman blinds, shams and bedskirt to be delivered. Need help with the antique chest to the left. Is it too high? Does it look odd with the yellow chest to the right? I only paid $110 for it, and it does need some work if I decide to keep it there. Opinions about it, please?
  • moogers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Anybody?