Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_32412276

Need help arranging room

10 years ago
New home and new furniture. Need advice on how to lay the room out. Ignore table between two chairs (that is not staying!). Room doesn't feel 100% right. Is it the rug? Set up? I'm know we do not have any decor set up yet but I don't think that's it. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (24)

  • 10 years ago
    It's just off balance. Switch the sofa and the chairs. Add an end table to the love seat so it seems like it's the same length as the sofa opposite it. You always want to have at least the front legs of any seating on the rug.
    User thanked Nancy Ingram
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I wish you had come to houzz before you shopped for furniture. I, for one, do not advise buying a sofa and loveseat. The pair is just too hard to arrange. In your case, I would have suggested two love seats, as the sofa is too large for the room.

    The rug, also, is not the correct size. I would remove the rug, at least for now, until you get the room set up.

    Always place the largest piece first, so try putting the sofa where the two chairs are. The solid wall will help disguise the size by anchoring it.

    Now it is just trial and error. For the first attempt, leave the love seat as is and face the two chairs toward the fireplace.

    Then see how that looks, leaving the mirrored console where it is.

    What room is abutting? Could the rug go in there?

    User thanked JudyG Designs
  • 10 years ago

    Also, the walkway between the sofa and console table looks a tad tight. Does that console table need to stay in the room? I'm wondering how much walkway space there is (or will be after you tweak the arrangement) or if the console would work better on either side of the fireplace?

    User thanked avilla98
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Agree with Avilla. And others. I would also try moving sofa toward fireplace a foot or so. Then move the console to behind the sofa. This should give you more space and visual walkway for behind the sofa. Another option is as the other person suggested, move sofa to where chairs are currently. Not sure on size of console but it looks really interesting and you can't really appreciate it. So might try it with the chairs in front of window. As to the rug I like it, but as stated get furniture front legs on rug or get rug large enough to make that happen. I think if you try the suggestions, you will land on the arrangement you feel is best for you. Post pics so we can see results of your efforts!
    User thanked Flo Mangan
  • 10 years ago

    User thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    we are going to move the furniture around today and post a few photos of different sets up. Thank you for all the advice. Will post photos and see what everyone thinks. JudyG, the room you see in the photo that shows the back of the large couch and console table is the eat in kitchen/breakfast nook.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    So, no room there for the rug. Is there a dining room?


    Looking forward to pictures. Once the sofa goes on the solid wall, the rug may look better. Bet this is the best job for Father's Day!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    What happened? What did you decide? M
  • 10 years ago
    Updating. So we got new chairs. I brought all the furniture in more. Also, moved the rug to the dining room. Thoughts on set up now? Ignore the mess in the corners. In middle of rearranging and just have stuff all over. I'm still feeling like there is not a balance. We are planning to get a rug and I know that will help also, we still haven't found right coffee table/side tables. I want to get placement right first. Trying to also get an idea of what color pillows to use so that is why there is a hodgepodge right now.
  • 10 years ago

    Did anyone get a chance to see the new layout? Thoughts? I feel like I am overthinking it. Maybe it's because I am still missing rug, side tables, coffee table/ottoman. Thank you.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi! well, I hate to say it, but those tufted, overstuffed chairs are way to big for the space. I think the high ceilings are "tricking your eye" to think the floor space is bigger than it is. I also don't like the long sofa on the side wall, just doesn't fit. Back to the drawing boards. Look for chairs that are about 28" width and depth. The room just can't handle huge furniture. Sorry. Put the sofa across from fireplace, love seat on other wall. Pull them both toward the fireplace a bit. Rug can work I think if you do that. If you haven't done it already, save yourself a lot of trouble, and do a scale drawing of your space. Or at least measure the walls, fireplace and windows, etc. Then leave at least a 3' space between the wall across from fireplace wall and back of furniture for "walking" space. Now you will know what size furniture will fit. Take to the stores and measure furniture you like and put cut-outs of the size on to your scale drawing. Many stores now have "template" boards with furniture sizes so you can see what fits. Saves a LOT of time, delivery, returns, etc.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm afraid I agree that new chairs are too big for space. Your original chairs were better size. Really does appear that there is no room for any tables or lamps. I might suggest that you get rid of Loveseat, put back the table opposite FP or move the chairs and sofa into room more and put accent table behind sofa with lamps and get a large coffee table that will work with the chairs and sofa.


    If the table will go behind sofa, you may have room for LS opposite FP

  • 10 years ago
    This room does pose a number of challenges- especially for large pieces. I think the actual space that can accommodate furniture is the rectangle formed by striking a line straight across the room from the end walls - meaning I think that the angled entry arches on either side, make the room a very narrow long rectangle as the slight "bay" wall between the archways could only house very slim cabinet/ shelves/ console.
    As mentioned the matching sofa and love-seat are too large a scale, plus the styling is extremely casual- in my opinion the trim work ceiling height and floor space call for tailored pieces with backs below the chair rail . The space on either side of the FP could be flanked by armchairs & side tables, these could be mirrored with two more chairs floating at the same angle as the entry arches with a large footstool between them- finish the grouping with two tailored love-seats facing each other: all these pieces should sit on a carpet that leaves 3 feet of floor space around the room. Good luck.
  • 10 years ago

    It is too much furniture for the space no matter how it is arranged. I would suggest going with a loveseat in front of the window and 2 chairs on the opposite wall.

  • 10 years ago

    I really like all of your furniture....a lot! I cannot get past the gray walls.....my eyes tell me that the walls need to be a tan color. That is just my opinion.....sorry.

  • 10 years ago
    I would place the large sofa facing the fireplace and make sure there is enough space for the walkway behind it (move it closer Jan what you originally had). Put one chair on each side of the sofa facing each other. Use the love seat elsewhere. I agree that the white chairs are too big, but that placement may help.
  • 10 years ago
    I agree with vbilenker. Try facing the chairs to each other and eliminate one of the sofas. I think that arrangement will make a world of difference
  • 10 years ago
    Update: I decided to put the couch and loveseat up for sale. I honestly think they are too bulky for the room (like many of you mentioned). I can't return them to the store so hoping someone will buy them. Then I think I will look for a neutral toned couch that is not as long or deep to put on the longer wall.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Any update?
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, we ended up being able to return the furniture. Hired a designer and have a new layout for the room!

  • 10 years ago

    Would love to see photos of new arrangement :>)

  • 7 years ago
    Susan
  • 7 years ago
    Susan you helped me with my fireplace colours a year ago I love it. Time for the rest of the living room.