Software
Houzz Logo Print
tammi_cotter

Window treatments for sunroom

13 years ago
My sunroom has a large window behind the couch which use to be the outside window of our previous back porch. I think I need to add some sort of window on that window to soften it and balance it out. I am undecided between a valance, Roman shades or two long panels to hang on each side on a long decorative rod. Please keep in mind I have 14 other outside windows in the room that my hubby will not let me cover. I have attached photos of those windows to give you an idea of the whole room. Thanks for any input!

Comments (18)

  • 13 years ago
    I meant to say "add a window treatment" lol!
  • 13 years ago
    My vote is to take out those windows altogether and make it a solid wall. These windows look out of place and I think that giving that window alone a window treatment is going to look odd. If removing the windows is not an option I would use one or two dark bamboo style blinds.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If your just want to soften things up and privacy and light are not an issue, then go with panels on each side. Problem your going to have is, where to mount the rod? Ceiling mount? Maybe. Wall mount? Where you gonna put the center support, and you will need one or it will sag in the center.

    Roman shades will look a little choppy since you'll need 3. Might take away from the serene look you have now.
  • 13 years ago
    have to agree with antje121,there are already more then plenty windows in this house!!and if you have a solid wall there it will be a cozy room...
  • 13 years ago
    Today's decorative window films can be quite a beautiful touch if you can't remove them. I'd rather have a wall to decorate around than deal with the view out the windows to more windows.
  • 13 years ago
    I am loving this feedback so far. And I agree that taking out the windows would be ideal. Two problems with that thought though...my hubby won't let plus that window is the only light into my already darkened family room as it use to be the only window in that room. I do have a dark blind on the inside of the sunroom that we keep open...and we close it for privacy when we need it. So the treatment in the sunroom would be decorative only.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh my, can't type. I have a dark blind in the inside of the adjoining family room that we close for privacy when we need it but we mostly leave it open to allow light into the family room.
  • 13 years ago
    if you use the window film??? there are more version: reflective exterior for privacy, save energy in summer and glare reduction, or decorative....you don't like this solutions????
  • 13 years ago
    I love the window film idea and have been browsing designs since I received the suggestion. I'm wondering about a stained glass design and would love pictures of options!
  • 13 years ago
    Agree with window film. You have such a great view and the windows are like picture frames showing the changing seasons. We have window film on our sunroom windows with no treatments.
  • 13 years ago
    Like this simple pattern
  • 13 years ago
    Another
  • 13 years ago
    I would take the windows out and create that as an opening into your living room. This would create better flow between and solve the issue!
  • 13 years ago
    I was thinking more to something less challenging, allowing the view outside, and especially less expensive .... here in Italy Solix films cost so much .... these cost 1/10...www.reflectiv.com
  • 13 years ago
    Taking the windows out is not an option. I want to put something up the minimizes the windows but still allows light to pass through to the other side which is our family room. I saw this valance and think it would be perfect.

    http://houzz.com/photos/59283
  • 13 years ago
    Here are some of the fabrics I'm considering
  • 13 years ago
    Ok, my new idea is a DIY cornice.