Software
Houzz Logo Print
meddr101

How to choose end tables??

10 years ago

We have our new sofas, but I am struggling to choose some end tables. We would use them for lamps and maybe a place for a drink. Our floors are a medium wood and I will eventually be looking to replace both ottomans (I would like to replace the leather one with another leather one.... maybe in a different color).I was looking at some gold, glass mirrors ones, but saw another design that had some black ones and I just can't choose. I am hoping to make the space comfortable, welcoming and of course pleasing to the eye. This is our living room (TV/family room).

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions and advice. Pictures coming soon!

Comments (26)

  • 10 years ago
    Current pictures.
  • 10 years ago
    This was the gold (metal) table I was looking at as a nice option.
  • 10 years ago

    One thing to consider when you are out shopping is the arm height of the furniture. Your two pieces look to have differing heights. You want the table to be in scale with the piece next to it. Measure each, write it down and take a tape measure with you when you go shopping.

  • 10 years ago

    End tables that are taller than the arms of the sofa or chair look awkward and are an invitation to accidents. Ideally, they should be an inch or two shorter.


    Now, could we address your TV stand? It's way too short and the TV doesn't look good wedged in the corner. I would get a cabinet that covers the whole wall to the left of the door and mount the TV above on an articulating arm. It can be pulled out to view and pushed flat against the wall when not in use.


    I'd lose the mirror over the mantel. Do you really want to see the reflection of the ceiling fan? Replace the mirror with art.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    I'm sorry. I addressed everything but your end tables. I'm not a fan of matchy-matchy, but I do like things to coordinate and that blue ottoman does nothing for the space. So I would either get matching ottomans, or one ottoman and a coffee table, and you could add some color here. How about a rusty red like that in your pillows?


  • 10 years ago

    Yes to the gold tone on the end tables, but I think you might want something with more of a nod to the traditional. You also have a big empty wall over the sofa. That is not allowed.


  • 10 years ago
    Wow, I cannot believe all the wonderful feed back!
    Ok, the plan for the TV is to be mounted on that wall, the stand is just temporary.
    I already have plans to replace the mirror on the fireplace with something a bit more interesting. It's a starburst mirror. Picture attached.
    I really like the suggested "traditional" end tables. I really like the interest that the bring to the space, and you are all right, the gold tone does look good!
    I am looking for art for behind the sofa, just can't seem to find pieces that I feel something for yet.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Your love seat fabric has a sheen that tends toward a more formal look and so the leather hassock looks out of place with it. The lines and tufting of the other sofa also make a hassock look odd and too casual. I think your TV needs to move to the sofa wall and sit on a credenza at least 25% wider than the TV. If your shutters don't cut out enough glare for daytime viewing you can add drapes that close over them and stack back on the left. I would float the two sofas in an "L" out in the center of the room, and add a large coffee table and a sofa table behind one of the sofas. This eliminates the need for end tables and you can add another floor lamp; perhaps a match to your present lamp, so the two could flank the new TV location.

  • 10 years ago

    A definite improvement.

    I suggest you give deco's suggestion for furniture arrangement a try.

  • 10 years ago
    We actually tried different furniture arrangements when we moved in and that was one of them.
    But what we found is it made the living room even smaller and closed off. Plus placing the sofa in front of the doors dramatically decreased the natural light.
    Plus, we have a beautiful view of our pool are that we try to take advantage of. When the TV is off, it's nice to "look" outside and it a better view than the bathroom :)
    I love these ideas. I am going to start looking for some gold side tables. The arms of the sofa come to just about 28 inches high. So, I'll look for something just below that.
    We love the white lamps, those will be staying. Besides adding the new mirror, should I look for more architectural items, or larger pieces or focus on art??
  • 10 years ago
    Also, just to confirm, it looks like everyone agrees that gold tone would be good. Not silver??
  • 10 years ago

    Here is one in silver. It would work, but I think I like the gold better. It definitely makes the room warmer than the silver does.


  • 10 years ago
    I agree, gold is the way to go! Do you have any good recommendations that would allow me to display some nice items? Instead of just allowing room for the lamp?
  • 10 years ago


    IMAX Stacking Chain End Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

    drum side table | Joss and Main · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    I like the deal these bring, but still look a little small. I would only be able to set the lamp on these.
  • 10 years ago
    Silly autocorrect. It was suppose to say I like the detail!! :)
  • 10 years ago


    Greyson Living Maison Glass-top Round End Table - 16371773 - Overstock.com Shopp · More Info

    Round End Tables on Hayneedle - Pedestal End Table · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Wayfair has 50 gold end tables that are between 25 - 28" tall and more than 22" wide. See if anything here floats your boat: http://www.wayfair.com/filters/End-Tables-l442-c414604-O3750~Gold-P86399~25~28-P86400~22~2418.html?itemsperpage=96

  • 10 years ago


    House of Hampton Sagaponack 1 Drawer End Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

    http://www.wayfair.com/Sagaponack-1-Drawer-End-Table-HOHN2840-HOHN2840.html?piid%5B0%5D=15419383

  • 10 years ago

    ewww..... i like that one, can i afford it? i am afraid to look.

  • 10 years ago

    such a tease grove!

  • 10 years ago

    these are some i can afford, all under <$120!

    Modern Gold End Tables | AllModern · More Info


    Modern Gold End Tables | AllModern · More Info
    yes, for the pair
    Coffee & End Tables | Birch Lane · More Info


    Coffee & End Tables | Birch Lane · More Info

    Amazon.com: Safavieh Home Collection Kiley Gold Accent Table: Kitchen & Dining · More Info

    Amazon.com: Gold Finish Metal Glass Chair Side End Table: Kitchen & Dining · More Info

    Amazon.com: Southern Enterprises CK3772 Matte Gold Metal End Table with Glass To · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Wow, more great ideas!!!!