Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annekreel

Would you remove a bay window if you like your view?

BenjiBoi
7 years ago

We have a bay window in our kitchen area and it provides a great view to our backyard. However, as we begin to work on renovation plans, we are somewhat limited with our kitchen design due to the bay window which is only 26" from the ground.

Would you leave it and work around it (which isn't all that easy) or replace it with a bank of double hung windows? Would I be sacrificing anything or would several double-hung windows provide a good view too?

Comments (29)

• knttplc
    7 years ago
    I would definitely redo the windows to fit your kitchen design if your budget allows. You'll still have a great view since you're only losing the very bottom portion of your window, and it's a small sacrifice for a well functioning kitchen layout. Would you consider casements instead of double hungs? We replaced our double hung kitchen windows with casements (similar situation, we needed counter tops where the windows were) and love how easy it is to swing them open while the kids are outside or when we're cooking something smoky. Plus there's no horizontal line right across the middle to impede the view. There wasn't really much price difference in our case.
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

bank of double hung. i have double hung at my home, casements at my vacation home, and casements can't stay open in the rain or the window gets wet.

• whatwithwhat
    7 years ago
    I have a bay window in my kitchen and love it. Because of the angles of its windows, I feel it allows more light into the kitchen than comparable-sized double hung windows. Also have had casements on a porch and replaced them due to the issue of frame getting wet and because of the annoyance of bugs/insects getting trapped against the screen when you close them; screen is innermost on casements - not a glass window.
  • Robin Yurk
    7 years ago
    Agree with nnigrt about casements. Our primary house has double hung, 200 years old but our vaca/retirement house has a bunch of casements and i hate them or rather i hate all the squished dead bugs when you close the window- cause the screen is on the inside, so avoid casements in moist, rainy, buggy areas! But a bank of windows whatever the style will allow plenty of light.
  • User
    7 years ago

I am not sure what is on the other side of your bay window but have you considered replacing with French doors. It would optimize the view, bring a bit of the outdoors in. I see your light fixture if off center with the table so if you pulled the dining table back to center it there would be room for a passage.

Classic Transformation · More Info

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago
    it would be interesting to see what you have planned do you have a drawing of how the double hung windows would work? are you extending the cabinets into that eating area?
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

Jennifer asks a good question. Can't you just get a bay window that begins higher on the wall? Something like this?

Is it preventing you from having a pantry? What inconvenience is the window causing?

• baileysr
    7 years ago
    You said you love the view from the bay window, and any flat window will not give you that same dimensional view (or air flow, or brightness in the room). I worry that you'll miss that window.
  • wnec1
    7 years ago
    The bay window lets in lots of light, not so much with the double windows. I had casement windows in a previous home and disliked them for all the reasons stated. Just a thought, I think a round table would look better in that area. Good luck on your remodel.
  • Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    Personally I would want to keep bay window, what I can see it looks a nice view. It depends what you are sacrificing because of it
  • Heather Macdonald
    7 years ago
    Double hung with clear glass on the bottoms, only divisions on the top will allow a clear view.
  • sharlowm
    7 years ago
    I would do French sliders.
  • PRO
    Annie Santulli Designs
    7 years ago

There is nothing like a bay window!

• PRO
    The Creative Edge, Inc. - Nava Slavin
    7 years ago

Don't let any architectural detail stop you from a dream plan.

• BenjiBoi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

margocorp, we cannot easily replace the window with french doors due to the patio structure. We also would have to close up a basement window which we do not want to do. I love the look of the room you pictured, though.

tedbixby and Jennifer Havin, we are considering having 3-4 larger windows such as these:

Photo Gallery · More Info

IF I could convince my husband that we would not lose much of our view to the backyard, we would replace windows in a similar fashion as shown above. Then we would be able to extend the cabinets into the area where the bay window currently is. We may then make the kitchen more of a galley-style.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

I like the layout how it is, with the lovely window. If you must change the window I agree with the French doors and sliders mentioned.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

I would do counter height windows.

• yvonnecmartin
    7 years ago

I would instead seriously consider a plan to incorporate a built-in banquet in that bay window. Use a larger round table with it. This would be a wonderful place for morning coffee or afternoon snacks. If you use cabinets under the seats, you can gain storage space for large items. I can't tell what is on the wall opposite to the bay window, but if you move the table closer to the window, you might have room for a pantry or beverage service area there.

• Velma Walters
    3 years ago

Hi Katie, I know this thread is four years old, but we have a similar dilemma and style of home. What did you decide to do and how did it turn out? I’m thinking of changing the bay window to allow for cabinets underneath, and a fridge to the left against a wall (it looks like a wall may have been taken down in your photos).

• Velma Walters
    3 years ago

I have a full wall (floor to ceiling) just to the left of our bay window

• athleticannie
    3 years ago

We did a large expanse of windows in the space that was previously occupied by the bay window. It is about 90 inches wide. We used a large slider window and have it above the countertop. We are extremely happy with how it turned out. We didn’t lose too much light and it is great to stand at the sink and have the ability to look outside. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

• athleticannie
    3 years ago

Here are some photos. I overthought it but am so glad I did it.

• Velma Walters
    3 years ago

Did you open up the kitchen to the living room as well? It kind of looks like that from the pics. We’re thinking of opening up the kitchen to the living room and placing cabinets under the window where the bay window is. Pictures look nice! Do you have any pictures with the project completely finished?

• Velma Walters
    3 years ago

Oh and I just caught that you moved the plumbing to the site of the bay window! That sounds lovely!

• athleticannie
    3 years ago

We actually removed the pony wall, not a full wall.I would love to be able to show you a picture but believe it or not, the job is not done. We started in January, our contractor was very slow, we got shut down for Covid, and he hasn’t been back. Now we are on a vacation. When I return home next weekend, I can send you some photos of a 90% complete kitchen.

• A R
    2 years ago

We're in a similar situation and I'd love to see your photos!

• HU-440885320
    2 years ago

We are having a similr dilemma. it sounds like a hug undertakimg. was it what you thought it would be price wise? i would love to aee photos if you have them. our kitchen looks very similar to your begore photos.

• Anna Devane
    2 years ago

If you have a deep counter keep in mind it may be difficult to open a double hung window unless you are very tall. casement may be a better option.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio