Software
Houzz Logo Print
goldenbird411

Kitchen color advice

4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

My husband and I are planning on refreshing our kitchen.. re doing the tile, redoing the cabinet doors and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I am going in the right direction... I just basically need a little help with color selection and tile... this is my granite I have which I am planning on keeping (alaska white granite) we are planning on refacing the cabinets maybe a dove white by benjamin moore, these are what I was thinking.. The first photo is what I was thinking for cabinet color, the 2nd photo is what I was thinking for tile replacement , the 3rd photo is shot of my granite I am working with and the last photo is my NOW kitchen that needs some help! Thank you I am just hoping to get some color help I dont want to make a mistake here..









Comments (115)

  • 3 months ago

    Nothing matters about any of the whites that habe brr

  • 3 months ago

    Have been recommended unless they go with that granite that you are keeping. Which I like. Do the foam boards and put them against your counters. And forget that big wavy tile. Sorry- it is bathroom tile.
    BBeth H gave you some excellent suggestionsg

  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Linda Miller..Yes Beth H did give me some nice suggestions.. I just have to search them down as I am in Canada.. I was thinking something like this.. I do like the shiny white tiles.. hopefully they will look nice..


    Or even this.. which I AI'd into my kitchen.. they are 4 x 4 gloss white tile.. now just to find them.. mounted on an angle.. I REALLY like this.. hopefully it passes everyones option cause I like it better than the large tile :)


  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Linda Miller.. sorry? I didnt quite understand your last sentence there?


    "Nothing matters about any of the whites that habe brr"

  • 3 months ago

    Oh and terrib962.. I did get your comment.. I think your name should be BSBLUNT! I mean come on there is a nice way to say things.. MY flooring is not PLASTIC Laminate.. Im sorry you do not APPROVE .. but I dont give a f what you think.. Havent you ever heard the saying.. if you dont have anything nice to say shut up! You deleted your comment but I did get it.. and by the way.. I AM RENOVATING and I am getting rid of the cabinets space above! Go have another drink!


    "When you have all that ugly black modern and cheap cabinets, it does not matter what else ugly you do. And space above the cabinets is OUT

    "And get rid of the plastic laminate floors and go with real wood or real vinyl - fake wood is only OK in a mobile home or a restaurant, or low-income" .

  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Crispa.. that is pretty much what I chose.... I went with matte white .. the door color placed there

    C

  • PRO
    3 months ago

    Nice choice , they will be lovely!

  • 3 months ago

    Design Interior south.. Thank you. I think they will work for sure... Not yellow white. not blue white.. not pink white.. but a matte white..

  • 3 months ago

    @goldenbird411, the person you mentioned above has a habit of making nasty comments on here. Just ignore them. I like the choice of the 4x4 in a diamond pattern. Your kitchen is going to be lovely.

  • 3 months ago

    Katinparadise... THANK YOU! I hope it will.. :)

  • 3 months ago

    Good luck with the project and please post pictures when it's finished!

  • 3 months ago

    katinparadise.. I absolutely will.. the cabinets are going to take 6 - 8 weeks.. so I will do so after I get everything in place.. thank you all for all your advice :)

  • 3 months ago

    You're welcome! I hope something I said helped.

  • 3 months ago

    We need photos of the end result! Hope the project goes smoothly.

  • 3 months ago

    RedRyder.. absolutely will do! I think it will be a definite good change! It will be about 6 - 8 weeks so it will be a while

  • 3 months ago

    Great choices. I agree that your kitchen will be beautiful.

  • 3 months ago

    You go girl!! terrib962 never has anything nice to say! It must be nice to be the superior one...

  • 3 months ago

    I love your granite. It has some personality. It allows you to have a quiet backsplash. I am gutting a kitchen..floors and all. Trying to decide if I should take the cupboards to the ceiling.

  • 3 months ago

    southwind51... well my opinion is it will look alot more modern... I dont think they leave the cabinets lower anymore.. but Im sure one of the pros can tell you for sure! Good luck Im sure it will be super nice whatever you choose.. as long as you are happy :)

  • 3 months ago

    #1 - listen to Mrs Pete - she has great ideas; #2 - can you add a skylight, or tube light, and; #3 - maybe bring in a lighting consultant.

  • 3 months ago

    alidenson.. I agree. I appreciated all the ideas Mrs Pete gave...great ideas and I appreciate the time she took to give them to me! (I do have a tube light in the kitchen.. I think its that tile that drags it down...and it is on its way out.. we are working on that currently... plus its in a east/north location...) . we did install new lighting that you can change the temperature/kelvins... and we will install under the cabinet lightening also.. thank YOU also! I appreciate everyones feedback!

  • 3 months ago

    I agree with the feedback that the white in the countertop is a cream (think yellow or warm). The backsplash tile should also be a cream; it appears the one you've selected is blue-ish/cool. I'd change it to a cream color. Can update the cabinets by getting more modern pulls installed to elevate their aesthetic. Home depot has these great packs of pulls: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Franklin-Brass-30-Pack-Simple-Bar-3-in-76-mm-Modern-Cabinet-Drawer-Pulls-in-Stainless-Steel-P46640K-SS-B2/321239066


  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Well I got our eating area done.. my husband painted our table and I bought the chairs... I added the area rug underneath ( I had it in storage so either way I can either keep it or go without?)

    Do you ladies think it works? I think I have to find a new mat for the back door there..




  • PRO
    3 months ago

    Did he cut the height down? I think it looks very nice. Good job!

  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Design Interior. thank you! Yes he did.. it was actually kind of a shock when we did it cause we have had that table at bar height for YEARS! After he cut the table down and the first night we sat down to eat dinner.. He said.. I feel like I am sitting at a kindergarten table.. lol.. well he actually did look like that! We are so use to it being bigger.. We are getting use to it now.. but wow! lol. My husband use to be a car painter so he painted it beautifully for me! I just cant decide if I like the rug under it or not? We also scotch guarded the chairs.. What do you think.. do you like the area rug or no? (I could of bought a new table.. and I was given advice to get a bistro style table.. but my family would not let me go round and that eating area is not very big if we went round , there would be no where to put the food.. lol.. that just would not have gone over well with my husband.. so we went this route! (there are 3 of us here)

  • 3 months ago

    Wow! It looks wonderful. I like the area rug. I think it grounds the space and makes it feel more like a dining area than an eat in kitchen.

  • 3 months ago

    Very nice!

  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Katinparadise... yeah I was just worried the rug .. I dont know.. sort of matchs the granite if that makes sense.. at least thats what I see... lol.. I wasnt sure it would be ok.. I have to find a new mat for the door.. not finding anything that works so far...

  • 3 months ago

    I think it coordinates with the granite and gives a monochromatic look but I also think it's a nice separation. Maybe a different rug with a bit more color?

  • PRO
    3 months ago

    What are the colors in the rest of your home? If everything is neutral then no need to bring in a new color here. But if you have other colors then introduce them in the rug.


  • 3 months ago

    Design Interior.. Yep . Im pretty much neutral in the rest of my home... (I had it anyways.. so I wont buy anything else at the moment.. unless I find something I really love) . I just wasnt sure if it went considering it kinda looks like the granite colors :)

  • 17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

    Ok so I FINALLY got my cabinets installed.. new uppers.. to the ceiling with a nice crown moulding and new doors.. along with a added cabinet to the right of the photo.. now I need to pick TILE.. this photo below at the moment is painted BM Edgecomb grey like the rest of the room.. and I had a warm under the cabinet lighting installed


    What are your thoughts on this tile..




    In a diagonal shape.. (diamond mounted) . Does this work ok?? Can a Pro tell me if this will work ok? I so much appreciate your help!!! (I was originally going to do white gloss tile diamond shape but I thought it might be too much white?) . I think the installer did a really nice job of my moulding after bringing my cabinets to the ceiling


  • 17 days ago

    It turned out beautifully! You must be thrilled.

  • PRO
    16 days ago

    Congrats ! I like the tile when it is lying on the counter top but in the photo where you have it leaning near cabinet , at least on my screen, the color goes pink. Is this correct or just the photo?

  • 16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

    Design Interior South... I guess it doesnt matter.. When I went in to the tile shop I told her I wanted NO shade variation.. I just dont like that patched work look.. well when I got home and googled it.. THAT tile does have shade variations.. So disappointing... I thought I had found the one I wanted.. ( I dont really see pink in the tile.. but it is hard to tell with only one tile..) . before I commit to anything I am going to get a tile sample made up so I can see.. I did AI the tile and I really liked it but again.. i didnt know it was varaited.. (AI definitely isnt perfect either.. my flooring is not that reddish color.. its more of a walnut . (It is SO hard with colors tho.. cause they do throw different colors sometimes)


  • 16 days ago

    Kay P.. Yes the installer did a really nice job.. the crown moulding at the ceiling was a little tough for him as the ceiling wasnt exactly level.. but you wouldnt know it when he finished.. We had a lot of issues with the company itself.. but the installer made up for all the mistakes.. (there were a number of measurement issues..) .


  • 16 days ago

    What is the name of the tile that you have in the photo? I know that you're not using it - however, I looked at many faux zellige tiles a few years ago - maybe I will think of one that you might want to try if you like that look (without the variation in shades).


    Your table looks great! It's nice to have a handy husband! Your cabinets are very nice - the installer did a wonderful job with the crown!

  • 16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

    dani_m08 . this is all I have.. but if you google that it says its varieted shades.. OH I am in Canada so..


  • PRO
    16 days ago

    Ask to see a sample board vs just a tile or two. All ceramic tile has a range of variation because they are made as sheets of tile then cut to size , so color can vary from sheet to sheet. If you want uniformity porcelain will be your best bet. Even though it is listed as varied , it in fact may be more uniform that you are thinking. Whites tend to be less varied while creams have more variation. Look at Mallorca white. It can look quite uniform in color while still having the movement of a handmade tile.

  • 16 days ago

    Well I think I might have to go back to my original thinking of white.. I just cant find a nice ivory tile to go nicely with my granite.. and I guess I had my heart set on doing the square tile diagonially ... so what do you think of these tiles.. which one do you think would be best.. the top tile is slightly brighter white and the lady said there was a very slight variation to that tile .. I also put the cabinet color sample that the cabinet co gave me together with them so you can see the colors



  • 16 days ago

    Don’t give up yet. It took us forever to complete our kitchen as we had a very hard time deciding on a backsplash.

  • 15 days ago

    I waited a year after remodeling a kitchen, and a lot of other rooms, in my former home. I found my patience was higher when I gave the kitchen - and myself - a break. You can use paint for now and see what new tiles come into the showrooms over the next year.

    I have had luck with Tilebar. They send 5 samples for $5 and have a huge inventory of neutrals. Looking at your photos, the one on the right - the creamier one - looks better. I would entertain “light beige” when searching since “ivory” may not get you a creamy color.

  • 15 days ago

    Here is one flat white. Depending on the shape, you can find a lot of non-shiny whites and light beiges.

  • 15 days ago

    Kay P.. Yeah I am finding the back splash is the hardest.. to find that right white or the Ivory.. Some of the whites are PINK... yellow, grey! makes it tough for sure..


    RedRyder.. I will have a look at tile bar.. thank you.. only thing is if its in the U.S. it makes it even harder.. the other thing is when we ordered the under the cabinet lighting we ordered a cool white.. and when we got it and my husband installed half of it and turned it on.. it was the wrong lighting.. it is definitely a WARM white.. but I thought it would be ok.. but I am thinking it is mainly what is changing the color of the tile under the lighting.. so that was a bummer! we had a lot of issues with this cabinet co. starting with the guy couldnt measure.. I am still waiting on a few doors.. for instance when we went to put the fridge back.. it didnt fit! that was just ONE of many things they screwed up and it wasnt the installer it was everyone else.. the Installer Thank God was good .. otherwise I woulda lost my you know what! lol..

    Basically i do not want green white, or pink or grey.. I will either go white white.. or the warmer ivory white.. which ideally .. I guess would warm up the space a bit where everything isnt WHITE.. but its sure better than what I had previously and I will definitely take me time to find the backsplash because what we had to do to take it out wasnt easy.. it was ALOT of work..


    thank you all so very much for trying to help me out here! So Much appreciated!!



  • 15 days ago

    I want to show you what the tiles look like .. I call them patch work.. and almost all of the tiles come like this these days.. which is super frusterating.. they lady said they were popular.. I hate it! lol


  • 15 days ago

    I'm not sure where you are in Canada, but if you're in the GTA, you might look for ProSource Wholesale. They have a wonderful selection of tiles.

  • 15 days ago

    Katinparadise.. Im just outside Vancouver B.C. .. I will have a look thank you!!!

  • 13 days ago

    If you can find a tile shop near you that sells Sonoma Tilemakers - they offer lots of neutral shades, lots of shapes and profiles and consistent color.

  • 13 days ago

    They aren’t cheap but they sure are gorgeous tilemakers

  • 13 days ago

    thinkdesignlive.. thank you.. I will seardh for that!