Software
Houzz Logo Print
presley01

need help with kitchen cabinet color......PLEASE HELP

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Just bought this house and the kitchen was updated but previous owners painted the cabinets a color that seems to just fade into the granite top and get lost. My kitchen colors in previous homes was reds, gold, chocolates, and copper, but this house has all brushed nickel.........eeeek! but I can learn to deal with it. But need help with these cabinets, they need to be a different color! help!!!

Comments (15)

  • 13 years ago
    i love the gray from the attached room; could you do a lighter or darker shade of that?
  • 13 years ago
    thank you for response, its actually more of a tan not grey. must just be the picture. i am thinking about painting the ceiling in the kitchen, you can see not its white, but thought paint with 2 colors with a different color i the highest part of the ceiling, if that makes sense........ maybe that center color and the cabinets could be the same......
  • 13 years ago
    A sage color would look nice as well
  • 13 years ago
    With the colors you have showing, and the brushed nickel fixtures/hardware, you should try Espresso type colors, it will give it a rich elegant feel and is an inexpensive fix. The brushed nickle and s/s appliances will also look great against the color and go well with the tile.
  • 13 years ago
    you gals are great....thank you all for the ideas they are very helpful!
  • 13 years ago
    White would be my choice. I would also paint the trim and door white. I have the same backsplash. It works so well with Every color.
  • 13 years ago
    I couldnt do white, sorry have a a fear of white cabinets........;) but I can do a cream
  • 13 years ago
    I really do prefer the darker colored cabinets, could I go this dark in a small kitchen(pic attached)? my new kitchen is really small compared to what I am used to, so am concerned the dark may close it up more, but there are alot of windows to brighten it up. Here is another view of my kitchen showing the windows around it.
  • 13 years ago
    you have plenty of natural light. a deep brown cabinet would best show off the granite and SS.
    you could paint deep brown then glaze with black and paint cabinet interiors black.
    if you don't like the dark idea, off white with a brown or pewter glaze would work. it would just be less dramatic than dark.

    be sure to light cabinet interiors and undersides.
  • 13 years ago
    awww YES, I think deep brown with black glaze cud be the winner! im used to the more deeper richer tones in my other house so the darker sounds better. The light flooring is throwing me off completely. my other house had the mixed dark tones wood flooring...(guess you can tell I miss my other house) i am thinking about sanding these down and staining darker later down the road.
  • 13 years ago
    Just to give you an idea...yep, they went completely neutral.
  • 13 years ago
    omg took me a mintue to realize it was my kitchen! how did you do that?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    could paint the upper cabinets a warm white and the bottom ones a rich deeper, brown grey ... and if you are brave could do the highest part of the ceiling in metallic copper/bronze color for some punch. Paint the back of the cabinets in something like the ceiling suggestion. www.luminosodesign.com. Just read the date on your post, I am sure you have all of your solutions by now!
  • 11 years ago
    I think it's the inside of the cabinets that really makes this paint color dreary. When you repaint make sure to do those!