Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisalarsen22

bad tile job?

lisalarsen22
7 years ago
I came home to what I consider a very bad tile job. There are spots like this all over the 8x5 shower walls. Does this need to totally redone?

Comments (58)

• Laura Naab
    7 years ago
    I have a feeling those tiles are 3x9s or 2x8s, perhaps? The tiles will be inherently bowed due to their handcrafted nature. (Gorgeous tile, by the way.) Your best solution is to either leave as is and be super diligent about cleaning (no fun), or have it redone in a staggered pattern (not exactly fun either). You have a brick pattern (each tile above and below starting exactly at the halfway point). That way the installer can work with the natural bowed shape to lessen the tiles 'sticking out.' The installer really should have started with a whole tile at the base of the shower. Also, if you elect to have it redone, handmade/more expensive tile manufacturers have specific pieces to end or nicely finishes edges. Yours might not. It is hard to hand polish tile or cut on an angle without potentially compromising the crackle finish you picked. Sonoma Tile? Or Encore? If so, check out their websites because there are options. Good luck!!!
  • lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The tile is not handmade so I don't think that is the issue. About 70% of the tile is straight as can be but the other 30% is crooked and bowing like the picture. It is a crackle tile though so maybe that's the issue. It seems to me that if the tile was going to be a problem, shouldn't the tiler have told me? There are a million different gray tiles that I could have chosen. As for the other photos, I could cut myself on the bottom bullnose that's around the niches, and the bottom shower edge, well that's just uneven. No idea why. So, the big question, the shower it has to be redone, who is responsible for paying for it?
  • User
    7 years ago

You would be responsible.

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you all! It turns out that it is the tile as everyone here recognized but the contractor feels that the tiler should have said something if he was having trouble. A new guy is coming in to fix things. I hope! Thank you once again Houzers.
  • shushe123
    7 years ago

I disagree with Sophie. If the tile guy screwed up why should YOU have to pay for it?I personally would not pay him the balance until he fixes it

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    The person who supplies the product takes responsibility for the product. It would have been nice if the tile installer had said that some of the tiles were faulty, but with 30% warped he would presume they were designed that way. That's different from culling a chipped tile.
  • susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

Tiler should have talked to you about issues if he takes any pride in his work; store that sold you the tile should have talked to you about appropriate products for your application, assuming you asked them; but at this point, not sure that anyone can be held liable to the point that they will pay for the mistake. You can ask but best case scenario might be some kind of compromise. Do read the link that flopsycat put up, and if you redo, discuss in detail with a reputable tile store the pluses and minuses of your choices before you purchase.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

There are tiles, that though made by machine, are made to look as if they are handmade and as such they may have significant variances. These are usually designed to be set with much wider grout joints for a more rustic look. Today's trend is to have as narrow a grout joint as possible, typically 1/8" - 1/16". This means the tiles need to be extremely consistent in width & length in order for everything to work out.

Graham

• User
    7 years ago

BTW, Sophie almost always says it's the homeowners responsiblity if something goes wrong :)

• ycity
    7 years ago
    Is the wall uneven?
  • lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The wall is not uneven but the tile is exactly as you say, man-made to look like handmade so is not even. The majority of the tiles are flat with a handful that were not. Those are the tiles being replaced. Have to admit, I'm nervous about that! The niches and tiles adjacent to the floor will also be redone. My GC is taking responsibility and bringing in a second tile setter. Crazy.
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago

I hope he doesn't damage the waterproofing in the process of replacing the tiles...

• kell2028 ell
    7 years ago

OMG! Seems like the installer hasn't a clue of the basic function of tile.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

From the pics, how the shadows are casting, it looks as if the tile faces are not all in the same plane. When tiling the tiler should always be checking this with a level or flat bar across the tile face. When tiling, if you press on one end of a tile to match the adjacent tile then the other end of the tile will moved slightly forward (proud) of it's adjacent tile. It reacts like a balance, one end down, the opposite end up.

Graham

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Okay, one more thing. When putting stone shelves in niches are they usually flush with the wall or do they stick out like mine?
  • C F
    7 years ago

Man...wtf...I would not be happy about those shelves!

• PRO
    Inside Design
    7 years ago

Niche shelves should sit flush within the niche. With a bullnose edge that means shelf should be inset enough that there are no sharp corners sticking out.

• PRO
    Inside Design
    7 years ago

You haven't shown the entire niche, but that bullnose should run across the bottom of the niche also. The marble that creates the base shelf should be inset enough so that the bullnose runs across it, hiding the face. Think of the bullnose as a frame that should continue all of the way around. If all corners are mitred correctly there are no sharp edges.

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here's the entire niche. I'm afraid I have to live with the design (or do it all over) but the GC is going to redo the top bc it's crooked.

My bigger issue is the base of the shower and the floor. He's also reworking that.

Bummed to have these issues but gotta hand it to my contractor for making it right.
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

I had the same issue once, and seems there should've been an instrument to flatten the tiles into place. Take a little time.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago

This is a different niche than the one shown with the shelves. Here the marble is acting like a window sill and is deeper so the ogee can die onto it

• PRO
    Inside Design
    7 years ago

This niche is done nicely. Different from original one discussed.

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here is the other side one and yes, they were both redone by a new tiler...much better.
  • acm
    7 years ago

Again with this second niche, the bottom ledge is designed to stick out, the way you've set it up, but I think the upper ones should have been recessed -- your tiler "guessed" to make them even with the bottom one. Oh, if only we all had the time to sit home all day to prevent such guesses! Glad if your contractor is making it right. I'm in the middle of trying to decide whether to live with a poorly installed backsplash or have a new contractor tear it all out and replace. sigh.

• Olga Kramar
    7 years ago
    The partial tiles along the bottom look bad. I'm not sure if it's the pic, but it looks like the floor dips down at the corner. This means you'll have a puddle in the corner at every use. Not easy to squeegee those dips either, and those puddles will grow mold if not squeegees each shower. A beginner will do that, not setting the sides high enough at the edges to slope all the way to the drain, and then trying to create a drain slope somewhere along the way between edge and drain.
  • bradley_amber
    7 years ago
    would you mind sharing the name and brand of tile used?
  • lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sure -- it's from Floor and Decor
    Villa 3x9 Heirloom Clay
  • User
    7 years ago

A seconds, thirds, and odd lots retailer? And you expected first quality rail straight results?

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Okramar, yes the floor is bad and it is being replaced at GCs expense. Tiler says that he can make it right...we'll see. And, yes, it turns out the back wall is bowed which is what has affected the tiles. Not sure any tile would work unless they totally gut and star over?
  • kamerand032015
    7 years ago

Hi Lisa,

I am curious- how is your crackle finish holding up? Any staining issues, mold or water spots that don't go away?

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Crackel tile looks great. We did end up having the whole shower ripped out and redone and it is beautiful. Just be sure to seal it, of course.
  • kamerand032015
    7 years ago

Great, so no issues with water spots behind the glaze or darkening of the tile? Can I ask what sealer you used? And have you only done one seal?

• shaz239
    6 years ago

We just bought the same tile, what color grout did you use?

• shaz239
    6 years ago
    I'm using this as a kitchen backsplash. We used rope instead of spacers. It turned out great!
  • Carole
    6 years ago

I just came across this post after spending our entire 4th of July grouting our new master bath shower with Impressions craquele tile. We pre sealed it before grouting but had no idea that it was going to be a problem with glaze crackling in the future. The shower tile cost a small fortune and many hours, as well as all the water proof system to install. Can anyone recommend a good sealer to use regularly and I would be interested in seeing photos of crackle tile in use and how it has held up. I did notice even after sealing water was getting in to the crackle. It there a product that can be placed over the top to make it waterproof?

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Carole, I can't remember the name of the sealer but I purchased the top brand sold at floor and decor and Virginia Tile. I have not had a problem with water. To me, it's no different than treating marble which I also have in the shower. I'll likely seal each year and use only soap and water to clean. My shower has been in for close to a year and all is well. Get a good sealer, wipe it on and enjoy your shower:)
  • Carole
    6 years ago

Thanks for that! I started to panic when I read this . I had told the tile dealer I wanted low maintenance( they told me seal properly and it will be) and I didn't realize crackle was exposed, I thought it was under a glaze. I have tumbled marble on the floor so I'm glad to hear it has all worked out and no worse than the marble. Our tile is also a handmade tile but long planks. Hubby installed it but this is not his first shower job, we have some lippage but it appears to be within industry standards so I think he did pretty good job given the tiles are handmade and 22 inches long. I'm glad you got your shower redone and it is working out for you.

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm so glad I pushed and had it redone. Actually the GC was really great about it and the tiler no longer works for him. Here are some pics of the final project. Bad lighting today but you get the idea. You can zoom in on the tile to see the crackle. Good luck!
  • Carole
    6 years ago

Looks gorgeous! It makes it all worth while when it's done and you can enjoy it. The tile looks perfect! Thanks for sharing.

• PRO
    Fernandez Architecture
    6 years ago

Defenetly it is a wrong installation for a handmade tile like this.

As an Architect managing my works it one of the most important details that any General Contracto has to do.

I never assume this result in my works.

Let me show one of my last design for an interior remodelling with the same type of tile.

Joaquin Fernandez

Fernandez Architecture

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    ????????
  • Jill Knicely
    6 years ago

What color tile is this from floor and decor? We just bought some of this tile in linen and i was curious if that’s what you have?

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Jill, here is the tile...

Villa Heirloom Clay Porcelain
    SKU: 100183292
    Size: 3in. x 9in.
  • ellenvandamme
    5 years ago

Love this tile and color combination! I was looking at the exact same tile for the shower walls, in combination with chrome fixtures. Hope it's still holding up well. The fact that it's a crackle tile still scares me a little bit...

• Carole
    5 years ago

Its been a year since we installed ours and so far its holding up well, as we wipe the entire shower down after every use. We sealed it very well and plan on doing it again this summer. I didn't want to take the risk of any damage as the shower cost us a small fortune and hours of work. On the flip side because it gets wiped down its a breeze to clean.

• heartlover7
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/lisalarsen22

What color is the paint in your bathroom? I have this same tile for my kitchen backsplash and I’m having trouble picking out paint. Thank! Your bathroom is beautifu!

• cindycrutsinger
    4 years ago

I just did my kitchen backsplash in this tile. The manufacturer must have fixed the problems. Every tile is flat and perfectly dimensioned and made an easy installation in my kitchen.

• mschnapp
    2 years ago

Floor and Decor in Northern California no longer carries the Villa Heirloom Clay color. I'm so sorry they discontinued it. It is a gorgeous color: neither gray nor beige. Definitely not yellow. It is a chameleon in different lighting, all the time looking gorgeous as it reflects the surrounding light.

By the way, is it just me? Did that architect above post a before picture showing off all those tile color combinations? Perhaps color blindness is a factor? I certainly wouldn't use those combinations of tile color. It looks as if every color on the color wheel was used. Not sure which interior design school that idea is from.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor