Software
Houzz Logo Print
sphillips01

Need front door and curb appeal help for mid century modern!!

10 years ago


We are in the process of choosing a new front door w/sidelight and I am having a hard time deciding what will look right. We can't have a solid door because our foyer would be too dark...the door and side light are the only way natural light comes in. Considering a 3/4 glass front door with a design or grid. I attached a door that I like (sorry, bad pic) but it just doesn't seem to match our house. Help!!

Also, I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas on our landscaping and general look of the front. For example, I do not like the 3 large bushes (they are not boxwoods but thorny) in front of the window but if we took them out I am not sure what to plant there. Any suggestions welcome!!

Thanks!

Comments (37)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    From just looking at the front of your house, I had no idea where your front door was! I would definitely remove that large hedge that is obscuring the door. Also, I agree with you about the bushes. They are blocking that window.

  • 10 years ago

    Put mid century entry doors in search box here on house lots of ideas. Sydney Pivot Hung Entry door is very attractive

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    That style door you posted is not correct for an MCM home.

    You can order a door with an obscure glass panel.

  • 10 years ago

    We just replaced the front door in our 1950 ranch with a Simpson 49903 but they have lots of other great MCM choices. http://www.simpsondoor.com/find-a-door/default.aspx?seriesID=34&resultsPerPage=60#door-search-wrapper

  • 10 years ago

    The prairie-style leaded glass door is a complete mismatch with your home. Decorative grasses and more sculptural evergreens and shrubs would be better suited to this contemporary style.


    Modern Porch · More Info


    Riverside Terrace - Wichita · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    I am not one to recommend ripping out structures, BUT how about replacing your stone wall with a horizontal slat low fence or maybe a low planter with vertical reed like plants
  • 10 years ago
    Ok, glad to know my gut was right and that door wouldn't really match the house. I do like the look of the contemporary doors...what color would look good? I honestly wouldn't mind a colored door but again, just hard to imagine what color would look right. I will be searching houzz...I have never seen a house quite like ours though! (Is it considered mid century modern? Built in'72)

    Will do a little more searching for landscaping too. We live in Va and that part of the house is shaded most of the day. Need to find plants that don't mind shade and stay green year round.
  • 10 years ago
    Also, should our trim be a different color?
  • 10 years ago

    What are your thoughts on this door and sidelight? Would this color look ok as well?

  • 10 years ago

    Do you plan on painting the house a different color or doing anything to change the entry (removing the wall or bush)? The door is nice (the glass is still a little "craftsman" but this is a better option than the first one you posted). If you're not altering your entry at all, I wonder if this color would be too dark.

  • 10 years ago

    Try and stay away from any detailed features with MCM. Think simple and functional, that was the basis on modern design. If you were to paint the siding and the rock (a different color) it would instantly make your home pop. Remove all of the hedges and line the path of entry with plants. I would add 2 large bright colored pots to the sides of the door with tall growing plants. In the article it goes through why these changes are important.

  • 10 years ago

    Hmmm...I honestly didn't know you could paint vinyl siding. I do think a new color would be nice. Will have to look into that.

    The wall will have to stay for now but the bushes can and will go.

    My husband picked that particular door...we like the look of the same door with a plain glass too.


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi sphillips01. We love your idea of incorporating decorative
    door glass. If you are still in search for the perfect design, we can help you
    out! It looks like you’re interested in the Craftsman style, so be sure to
    check out our collection of decorative doorglass designs here
    (Prairie Bevel in particular). We also recommend that you take a look at our Spotlights
    collection, which would go great with the mid-century modern feel of your home.
    Let us know how we can help!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I love your home!! :D Inside the courtyard: I like the fat bush on the left as you come in. It works with the geometries of the walkway. Paint the front door a bright color and people will see it. I also like the fat bushes in front of the windows to the right of the front door. What I don't like is all the gravel inside the courtyard. One, it's messy. Two, a nice green groundcover or sod will accent the walkway geometries to make it pop (sedges would be my pick for an updated, fresh look). The bench idea is nice, but get a more modern bench and a better layout of stepping stones to the bench. The large bushes outside the courtyard to the left are what bother me. I would keep about half (the ones closest to the courtyard) and get rid of the others. That is, break the symmetry they're trying to create. Fat shrubs go well with mcm...just not symmetrical layouts. And I LOVE the stone wall around the courtyard. Do not rip it out!! It's so MCM and it's accents the stone of the house. You just need to powerwash it and the walkway.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The suggestion to remove the stone wall and replace it with slat fence or straight planter with horsetail reeds goes against what this more organic mcm home is about. It is not a Danish mcm...it's a more earthy mcm. So keep that stone wall!!!!!

  • 10 years ago
    Lovely home! I have major envy this is the style I wanted, but was unable to locate in the location we bought in. You have a lot of help here in choosing the correct door. Simpson doors has a great mid-century, modern section you can browse on the web their catalog.

    Landscaping; I would hold off on removing the stone wall although the fence idea suggested would look nice. IMO you need to reduce some of the overgrown hedges, they should not block the front windows. In addition the decorative rack by the front door detracts from the clean lines and uncluttered look your courtyard should have. If you really do sit out here, and if it was my yard I would swap out the bench for a seating group with more appropriate low chairs.
  • 10 years ago
    Also, a new light fixture to enhance the new door
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago


    Update!!!!!! :)

    Over the winter, we pulled out the bushes in front of the window and got a new front door!!

    The stone wall will stay and we have no plans to paint or change the vinyl siding anytime soon.

    Looking for help deciding:

    1) What color to paint the front door/trim? I am up for a bright/fun color but it seems like it won't match. Anyone up to photoshopping some colors?

    2) What to do in front of the windows? We have thought of adding some sort of deck that extends from the front stoop over in front of the windows. But again, I am having a hard time picturing what this would look like...or if it's just a terrible idea.

    3) Any other landscaping thoughts for the front?

    Attached are new pics of the front...I also included a panorama of the front looking towards the house and looking out from the front door.

    Thank you!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here's my gut feeling. The bright colors just aren't going to do very well with the gray. That's a great little space in the front that isn't being utilized. I would put a nice wood planter all the way across the window.

    NYC Roof Garden: Terrace Deck, Wood Planter Boxes, Fence, Container Garden, Ipe · More Info

    Keep the stone but shrink that area and put it closer to the house. Put deck tiles on the concrete which would raise up the concrete just a bit and keep the stones from overflowing onto the walkway.
    Ipe Brazilian Walnut deck tiles in Sarasota, Florida! · More Info

    Put grass in front of the stone and use some more deck tiles spaced in between creating a stepping stone (tile) pathway to a little arbor or trellis.
    Lakewood Ranch Home · More Info

    The trim and door could be painted similar to the deck tiles and planter. Put the bench underneath the trellis and it will totally transform the area. Sometimes less is more.

    (Those aren't exactly what I was talking about but does give a rough idea)

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for your reply AdvantageLumber.com! I like the planter idea. The deck tile sounds nice too...I have never seen that before but it sounds great having it raised a little. I hate stepping on the little rocks that sometimes end up on the concrete!
  • 9 years ago

    Beautiful home, love the door you chose! I think the gray actually lends itself to being able to choose a funky door color if you're open to it. A bold burnt orange would be really beautiful if you updated to a white or black trim. You could also paint your trim the same color as the house.

    As far as the entry courtyard, new stone or concrete slabs leading to the doorway would be beautiful. Dark gray river rock or mexican beach pebble would be an option if you want to stick to the xeriscaped look.

    Or you could add grass to the right of the walkway. If you aren't keeping that particular bench for a reason I'd get a simple, modern chair set or bench.

    A cooler color might look good too. Here's a turquoise-ish color using your house color trim or white trim.



  • 9 years ago

    Coming in a bit late here, but I love that turquoise door. A funky spring green would be good too.

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions!! We still haven't painted yet...it's on our to do list for this summer. Turquoise is one of my favorite colors but I don't think it's gonna make the cut for the door. I like the look of the orange or possibly just a dark gray.
    I will definitely post an update once we get some work done! :)
  • 9 years ago

    You could tone it down a bit - go for a lighter aqua. If you want it to stand out, don't go for gray. If you look at the Therma-Tru Pulse brochure, there's a really nice green that would look great. (I've been looking at that door you hubby picked for my house too.)

  • 9 years ago
    Update!!
    We decided to get some help from a local nursery and are thrilled with the new look!!

    Next we will paint the front door (leaning towards yellow) and get a new, more modern bench!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Wow! I love that walkway and the planting beds you have now. It is fabulous! Go for a bright green or yellow front door - maybe even a yellow green. I think it would be just the right touch. Let me see if I can find the color in my head to post here :)

    Here is one color that might work for your front door

    Brettkelly Residence, Oakland, CA · More Info
    Or this very similar color below


    International Style · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Here is a very cool yellow used as siding but it would make a terrific front door color for your home IMO.


    Phinney Ridge Seattle · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you...I do like the green color you posted!

    I will probably use Modern Masters Front Door paint. I had the yellow color called happy in mind. They do have a green color that's pretty as well!! Thanks!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Nice! It ties in nicely with your new garden greenery. Plus the name of the color is perfect ...Fortunate. :)

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you for sharing. It is such an improvement. As a gardener I have so many questions.

    What is planted under the left wall trellises?

    May we see the dog statue?

    What are the three blooming shrubs on the right side nearer the house?

    I'd love to see the door when it is painted although white looks fine I really like that green.

    Congratulations on the make over!

  • 9 years ago
    Currently, there's no indication of where the door is. The large shrub needs to be eliminated. I'd suggest making the door and the wood to the right of it into a colour block. Large lights on each side of the door would help. The door you've pictured is definitely not period-appropriate.
  • 9 years ago
    We just replaced our door with mid century. I've added a couple more though that would provide more light. We ended up getting ours specially made by Feather River I believe is the company. Love our door! Love your house-- great job.
  • 9 years ago

    She put in a new MCM door and new front garden and walkway, Look up a few posts - she showed the updates earlier this evening (up about 8 posts)

  • 9 years ago

    The updates look great!

  • 9 years ago
    I first tried to update my original post and/or the title to indicate an update but it wouldn't let me! Thanks for the suggestions though!

    The plants under the window are pink and blue hydrangeas.

    The dog statue is a basset hound...our basset watched them working all week through the front window!

    They planted clematis in front of all the trellises.

    Hope to have the door painted soon!
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County