Software
Houzz Logo Print
alitx99

Curtains for complicated corner windows - help!

10 years ago

I have read so many helpful suggestions on the forums and now I am hoping for some specific help for the new home we are building.

The home is MCM inspired and will be decorated in a clean, simple fashion. The master bedroom has two sets of corner windows and two bedrooms have a single set each.

Master:

Other bedrooms:


My initial thought is to place the curtain at the top of the single hung window, leaving the trapezoid window uncovered. This will allow me to mount a support to the sheetrock on each side of the window and to the wood beam in the center. I am considering steel conduit for the rods.

I would appreciate any ideas for what to do here. Specifics for mounting are especially appreciated!



Comments (16)

  • 10 years ago

    Do you want complete blackout seeing they're bedrooms? If so, then the trapezoid will have to be covered as well.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Your windows would be great for the electronic privacy glass

    alitx99 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 10 years ago

    Wow nice place. No curtains.

    alitx99 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Classic form over function dilemma. I vote for what Annie suggested. Window treatments of any kind are counter indicated..but the need for privacy and light control were not taken into consideration by this designer.

    alitx99 thanked arcy_gw
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    The only other thing that would completely cover the window would be a ceiling mounted drape...only thing is when the left side is drawn back, the hem would taper up short. Same thing if you tried to do a mounted sliding panel that would lay against the wall, completely clearing the windows. If you did an exact color match to the wall, though, the taper would be less noticeable.

    What would've been cool would be to have panels like "pocket doors" built into the walls that could slide shut at night but be completely invisible during the day. Then the taper at the top would be completely irrelevant...but they would have to be floor mounted...not sure there is even such a thing.

    alitx99 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks you guys! I originally planned on electronic privacy film, but then I realized that I wouldn't be able to operate the single hung windows (right?!)

    Those swing-away shades are nice Olychick!

    I'm ok without complete black-out/coverage - the whole point of the house design is to blur the line between inside and out. Given that do y'all think it would look good to have the curtain hung at the break between the single hung and the trap? I should mention that whatever the solution it needs to be DIYable. I can sew and husband and I are both handy.


  • 10 years ago

    i do think it would look good to hang the curtain at the break in the windows. That's how I've hung some in my home.

    alitx99 thanked k9arlene
  • 10 years ago

    k9arlene i'd love to see, if you have any pictures :)

  • 10 years ago

    So is the corner a 6x6 post? Or are the windows mulled at 90 degrees there?

    We have a post. I thought about mounting these roller shades below the top transom here but ultimately decided to mount them at the top.

    It's 10 feet, but no angle.

    alitx99 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    jn3344 what beautiful windows and view!! I love the idea of the roller shade - especially with the chain. Do you mind sharing the product information if you have it?

  • 10 years ago

    I got these from Budget Blinds. They come to your home. A couple of them were measured incorrectly (didn't account for the baseboards at the floor) but they remade them for no charge. They installed them for us as well.

    Their brand is the same quality as Bally - made at the same factory, same hardware, etc. They share some fabrics with the Bally line and have some exclusives.

    If you install them yourselves it's 20% less iirc. I ordered blinds for the upper level and installed them myself so it's not a difficult job.

    Good luck!

    alitx99 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    thank you jn3344!

  • 10 years ago

    Thinking outside the box, how about adding a small board at the base of each window...have it made out of wood...it needn't be very high...and then do a bottoms up shade. So it would be almost like an upside down valance, but it would allow you to leave the windows plain and unobstructed for day and provide privacy at night. I've never seen it or thought of it before, but it would certainly be a DIY project...I just hate the idea of obstructing those windows at all...and I'm one who likes window treatments in general.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    So I just googled trapezoid window blind and...they exist?? I had no idea. But as Annie said they seem to be either cellular shades (which can go top down) or they are flat on the bottom and go bottom up which means there will be tension strings going up your windows.

  • 10 years ago

    y'all are fantastic! annie - i love your unconventional idea and i think it has great potential.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH