Software
Houzz Logo Print
melieann

Two Diswahers?

13 years ago
Finalizing kitchen designs...we have a fairly large island and could put in two dishwashers. I am on the fence...... Thoughts on one or two dishwashers??

Comments (18)

  • 13 years ago
    If you entertain regularily, it is a beautiful thing. If you live alone with cats, then no.
  • 13 years ago
    Assuming that you entertain or have a family you cook for daily--i.e. you produce a lot of dirty dishes on a regular basis then it sounds like a good idea. While I don't have two dishwashers, it seems as though people who do have them (and have them strategically located), love them. If all of your other needs and wants are met, and if you have the money and space, it sounds like a good use for both.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I have only installed 2 dishwashers in a kitchen when my client is Kosher. Usually only one is enough. It will all depend on the size of your family and how much you cook, not necessarily on the size of your island. If you have space to spare, why not consider other appliances that could be more usefull, such as a wine fridge, a beverage fridge, a built-in coffe maker or just more cabinetry...which seems to never be enough. Good luck, Laura
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    How much do you entertain? Or how many dishes do you own? If you frequently have large events or parties, caterers or just a lot of guests...yes. Otherwise, one is going to sit idle a lot and the other...usually in a more favorable location, will be used more. I have plates to serve 20 people....rarely do I do that. One dishwasher is enough. Although...I am not a fan of the dishwasher in the island. I like them near the dish, glass and silverware cabinet storage.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You could also consider doing one standard dishwasher and one slimline (18"). I have one of each in my kitchen. I cook a lot and entertain and the slimline is designated for cooking tools and pots as well as over flow dishes. This helps keep my tools aggregated in one area of the kitchen as the drawers or cabs where the tools are stored are close by.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'd then suggest you to consider panelling them. Thus, they won't be so noticeable. Laura
  • 13 years ago
    Do it.
  • 13 years ago
    Our architect swears by having two dishwashers, and even spec'ed out two dishwashers for our build. Eventually, we removed one of them, since we thought we would never fully utilize it. That said, we are living in a rental while our house is being built, and it seems like we are always washing dishes by hand. The sink fills up quickly and we have to get it cleared of dishes. I think most of the loads we do are small, but frequent. While appliance shopping, I saw a dual drawer dishwasher setup that would have been ideal for us. Each drawer is half the size of a regular dishwasher, and I can see us using that to do small loads frequently.

    If I had to do it again, I wouldn't get two full size dishwashers, but a two drawer dishwasher.
  • 13 years ago
    the dual drawers are an interesting option. are you going to have drawers in the island for dishes and glassware? convenience = rinse sink to load dishwasher to unload to storage with mininum # of steps.
  • 13 years ago
    I took my dish drawers out and replaced with a standard dishwasher because of quality issues. Maybe they've gotten better in the last 8 years tho.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Love the idea - I'd put your main big dishwasher near the sink for large jobs - have extra heavy duty washing capabilities on that one.

    then add dishwasher drawers for glasses and fine china - gentle cycles and steam cleaning capabilities on that one - maybe have a refrigerated drawer for cool drinks as well in your island - is always handy to have those
  • 13 years ago
    We swear by our two Fisher-Paykel dish drawers adjacent to the main sink serving a busy family of four. Plus a third dish drawer in the butler's pantry which we use for glassware when entertaining. We haven't had a single service call on these F-P units in 8 years of daily use. Highly recommend.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Dish drawers are the way to go and do conserve water.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    It works great to have a set of drawer dishwashers & a standard size dishwasher. When you're baking, cooking, and entertaining your larger items can fit in the standard dishwasher. The drawer dishwashers work well for everyday. If you have a few people working in the kitchen you can have 2 sinks and a dishwasher next to each sink.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you! Looks like we will go with two...
  • 13 years ago
    With two dishwashers, you'll have plenty of room for washing cat food dishes. Just sayin' :) =^..^= meow
  • 13 years ago
    I have a friend that installed 2 drawer type in their large condo near the beach, so they entertain a lot. They use one for all the cooking prep dishes and then the second for after dinner.

    When they don't have company, they don't have to run a large half full D/W.
    I say go for it!
0