Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bridgette_lowry

Does EVP flooring need a pad installed under?

Bridgette Lowry
7 years ago

We are getting an EVP (Engineered Vinyl Plank) Flooring, but, unsure if we need a pad or not.... would appreciate any reviews!

Comments (12)

• Frankie
    7 years ago

Yes, definitely install a pad under it. Without it you have a wavy loud floor. If your installer tells you that it's not needed insist on it or find a different installer. I would suggest a cork pad. I say this as a consumer in no way connected to their product. I would avoid Smart Core from Lowe's it's given to buckling and cracking. Armstrong makes several levels of vinyl flooring I would suggest looking into those. That's just my personal opinion.

Bridgette Lowry thanked Frankie
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Although there are many EVP products that come with a pre-attached pad or a cork backing there are plenty that do not. Most manufacturers of these products, without an attached pad, do not require a pad according to their installation instructions. We tend to feel a little differnetly. We believe that products that have a cork backing or attached pad should have still have a moisture barrier (6mil plastic for example) installed over a concrete subfloor. A few cents per sf is well worth the added peace of mind. For the products that don’t have a pad or a cork backing attached we suggest either a laminate or LVT underlayment, with attached moisture barrier if over concrete, be used. The reason we suggest this is it will ensure a quiet floor. The rigid core of an EVP coming in contact with your subfloor, when walked up, may create a noisier floor than you would like. The underlayment creates a separation between the floor and subfloor to make sure your floor is quiet.

Bridgette Lowry thanked User
  • Bridgette Lowry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Coreluxe by Tranquility 7mm EVP.... leaning toward a wool underlayment....

• Donna Bowden
    7 years ago

Bridgette Lowry: How did your Coreluxe floor turn out and what did you put under it?

• Christina
    7 years ago

Yes I would love to know how the Coreluxe EVP worked. I bought some and am about to install soon.

• munimurf
    6 years ago

Hi Christina, I want to put the EVP Corelux in my bathroom which has a clawfoot tub (I will use coasters under the feet) and was wondering how your floor turned out. Also what underlayment you used, and if it was waterproof.

• mkimber83
    6 years ago

I'm killing myself trying to make sure I make the right decision for flooring. I would love to hear some feedback from anyone that has purchased the Coreluxe EVP before I make the purchase, thanks. Mike

• Pamela Mitchell
    6 years ago

We just had CoreLuxe EVP installed WITH padding and it is GORGEOUS. The product is far more beautiful installed than we expected and looks like real wood. We chose Hickory and it was laid by interlocking it rather than gluing it down. The padding is key as without it you will get a hallow sound when walking on it. We used regular padding (not cork) and could not be happier with the final installation. Be sure to install new baseboards to enhance the beauty of this vinyl planking! CoreLuxe is a beautiful product with a 50 year warranty.

• Palma Phillips
    6 years ago

I just purchased the Coreluxe Ultra Old Dominion Walnut EVP. What was the name of the regular padding you used?

• solutionzbykat
    6 years ago
    can you put heat under EVP? We are considering EVP for our baby's room. But it's a concrete slab and it's seems colder, he seems colder when he's been playing on the floor. So we thought about heating it. more specifically, using Schluter's Ditra heat. Please let me know what you think about all of it. Carpet is not an option. We considered wood laminate too, but it seemed like EVP would be better.
  • emwinter
    5 years ago

Palma Phillip's. How is your Old Dominion Walnut? I am looking at that now to lay on about 1900 sqft of my house.