Software
Houzz Logo Print
marykenthomes

Walls with existing bead board want plank

10 years ago

We're in the middle of a kitchen remodel. In our adjoining dining area we have bead board on the lower 1/2 of our wall. I want to add plank/ship lap vertically. Pic 1


Do we tear out the bead board? Keep it? Do we plank on the upper portion only? My plan is to paint the plank a weathered gray. Our kitchen cabinets and builtin china cabinet with be painted dove white. Just not sure if the bead board and plank would be to busy? Pic 2 and 3

In addition, we have more bead board going down our steps. Would we have to tear this out or can we just go over it with plank? Pic 4


Comments (18)

  • 10 years ago

    If you want shiplap planks, I'd reconsider mounting them vertically. It may start to look more like old fashioned paneling. Rather install it horizontally. I DO think you need to choose either bead board OR shiplap. Both would be too much. I'd also only do one wall with shiplap, leaving the other walls (removing the bead board) simply painted drywall. You can do too much. Limiting how much shiplap you use will make it a focal point so you can appreciate it more. (And it will cost less).

    Mary Kent thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Remove the existing bead board if you plan to use shiplap. It will be cleaner and you will have a better install . It would look more contemporary oriented vertically. It looks like your home and furnishings lean more traditional, so I would suggest horizontally.


    If you want to keep the bead board, look into wallpaper and paint to bead board. There are some new amazing patterns textures where you could gain the interest you are trying to accomplish with shiplap.


    Good luck! Your cabinets will look amazing lighter in color!



    Mary Kent thanked 509 Design
  • 10 years ago

    I happen to like your bead board! Why replace something that is already there and working? It just creates more work and money.

    Mary Kent thanked Bev
  • 10 years ago

    Barbara A, Actually I meant horizontally:) and I can appreciate only doing one wall in ship lap. 509 Design you given me something to consider! Bev, Yes, thought about that too. Our cabinets are being painted Dove White and if we keep the bead board that will be painted as well. Bellbergmaggie, I appreciate your thoughts, but i'm late to the ship lap party and I really love it:)

  • 10 years ago

    So, here's what's making me deal with this now. Someone cut our granite less than 1/2 inch short where it meets the wall (It's the wall that our clock is on). I don't want them to have to do it over as it will mess with our schedule for our cabinets. If we can find a solution (that works for us) then were good. I thought about just doing that small part of the wall in plank (just the section where the clock is, up to the ceiling) but then we still have the problem with the bead board and being to busy. The contractor is willing to do what we want and pay for it. So, what would you do:) 1,2,3 Go

    Thank you!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    i'd get them to fix the granite on their dime as they are offering. i know, schedules are tight & etc. but having to decorate around someone else's mistake FOREVER is pretty darn annoying. unless they are offering money in lieu of replacement, then up to you again.

    while they are at it, whats with where the swoop hits the cabinet in the background? is that trimmed a bit too short and the top edge of the cabinet is a bit exposed? it looks like it needs a bit more overhang in this direction but you can judge better.

  • 10 years ago

    Very good eye nnigrt! Yes, it's not much overhang and quite tight there too, figured since we were having it painted anyway it wouldn't be that noticeable. But, then again..i've never had granite. Could it create other unforeseen problems?

  • 10 years ago

    I agree with nnigrt...that swoop is bothering me more than anything. You should NOT have to live with a cabinet corner protruding like that.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    they can fix both issues at once with the next slab. stick with it. they can start with painting your cabinet doors in the meantime.

    i think it will be more obvious with the cabinet being white, and a point of wear as well. they just need to have the curve backed off a bit.

  • 10 years ago

    I think that exposed cabinet edge will be more noticeable, not less after it's painted. Have them fix the granite. You shouldn't have to compromise other places to hide their mistake.

  • 10 years ago

    While I can appreciate your desire to be done with your remodel, I'd be irritated by the shorted granite daily! Get them to fix it. If this is the only problem you encounter, consider yourself lucky! Patience grasshopper.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Back to your O P, I understand your thoughts on a different look, but I would not do ship lap with beaded board. What I would do is a grass cloth wallpaper instead. I think it would be a winner with the beaded board.


    Tree section project · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Hello again-

    Since I know nothing about Granite. To fix our problem, would they have to remove the entire counter-tops? Or could they just remove the piece that was not right. Now the glass back splash is almost done. I'm thinking that I should put the brakes on that until we can get everything sorted out?




  • 10 years ago

    The grass cloth is very cool JudyG Designs thank you for the suggestion!

  • 10 years ago

    yes stop with the backsplash! the new slab will muck it up going in even if the currently too short one doesnt going out.

  • 10 years ago

    as far as whether adjacent pieces need to come out, i cannot say.

  • 10 years ago

    Just portion that is wrong. And you don't want to put backspash there before they bring new counter.