Software
Houzz Logo Print
judy_marusa

Dining room wallpaper removed, now what? Need paint help.

13 years ago
Large, formal dining room measures 12.5 X 17. Furniture, carpet and drapes must stay which is why I am having problems choosing paint.

Furniture is dark Colonial Chippendale/ Queen ann style.

Wall 1 has large bay window facing North/Northwest. I have two drapery panels that match chair seats for each side of the bay window.

Wall 2 has built in china cabinets with window seat in center. Faces north east.

wall 3 has opening into Kitchen and an interior window (also facing kitchen). Under window I have a sofa table with 2 stools (not shown)

wall 4 has opening into foyer and fireplace (non working, faux).

The carpet is an oriental with dark green background and shades of a taupe with lavender undertones.

All fabric is an ivory tone on tone stripe with yellow tones.

Bottom has wainscoting which I was planning to paint decorators white.

I have a large mirror for over the faux fireplace and I have two tall buffet lamps that go on sofa table ( lamps do not have to stay.

Some items (single stools under sofa table and buffet lamps) were moved out of room for wall paper removal.

I have picked out samples of Monroe Bisque and Elephant Tusk to try.

Comments (80)

  • 13 years ago
    Judy M, you noted that you have green in an adjoining room. Take a look at this color combination that utilizes Wilmington Tan in a dining room with similar white wainscoting. Love your built-in china cupboards and window seat!
    Custom Craftsman · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    What about Mill Springs Blue from Benjamin Moore or something close to it? Should complement your rug. It would be very nice with white wainscoting below and a comfortable colour for a dinning area.
  • 13 years ago
    I have to put the mill springs blue on my pinterest board, so I won't forget it. Beautiful colour.
  • 13 years ago
    michi
    Good one! That might be a contender. Worried it is a bit dark for my room, but in a dining room, that can be a good thing!
  • 13 years ago
    Too much blue in Mills Spring.
    I think my carpet photo is showing blue on monitors, it is green background.

    Anxious to get some samples on the wall this weekend!

    Stay tuned to this channel for breaking news!!! LOL
  • 13 years ago
    Monroe bisque is a very strong possibility! Just sampled it in 2 places on wall. Have to wait until nighttime to check it again. And try some trim color with it.
    If this is the color husband will have the room done by Sunday night.
    Fingers crossed.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the Monroe bisque!
  • 13 years ago
    Thumbs up to Monroe Bisque. I'm staying tuned... :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Sun was out before and I liked it. Sun went in and I still like it!

    Hope it passes the night time test.
  • 13 years ago
    Keeping everything crossed here :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Lovely.

    Match the seat cushions.
  • 13 years ago
    The Monroe Bisque is going up!
    I couldn't tell much at night because the wainscot isn't white yet, we'll see.

    Most of the walls are broken up by windows or openings so I don't think any wall will look too dark.

    I think we might highlight the detail on the FP with the Bisque color and paint the rest White.

    Any thoughts on that?

    And I want to paint the old wooden rod and finials. Not sure what color. It is currently a gold color with a little white wash on it.
    No other gold is in the room.
    Light fixture and cabinet knobs are silvertone.
  • 13 years ago
    ...
  • 13 years ago
    Glad you found the colour that you like. Do you have a photo of the fireplace? It's not in the ones you posted, or am I missing something?
    About the wooden rod and finials, I'm sorry... I can't come up with a bright idea for that :-) Other than painting it to match the wood of the dining table or just plain white.
  • 13 years ago
    The fireplace is faux, a mantle that provides a focal point once against the wall in the room.

    It has raised detail that I thought would be nice to highlight with wall color.

    I am trying to tone down the yellowish cast of the ivory drapes and worried that a white rod will only a accentuate that more.

    Thinking a matte black against the Monroe Bisque or do you black is too dark? I do have a dark bronze framed mirror for over the fireplace.
  • 13 years ago
    I should add that this is not a type of electric FP, it does not function.
  • 13 years ago
    Hmm... I'm thinking...

    No, I don't think you should highlight the detail in the fireplace. It won't add to the more contemporary look you are going for.

    The curtain rods: matte black would be good I think. I was looking for some inspiration for your curtain rods and came across this ideabook. It has a couple of photos of very dark rods against lighter walls so you can get an idea:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/curtain-rods-wood-or-metal-stsetivw-vs~1553983
  • 13 years ago
    Your carpet looks like a teal green on my screen and I would suggest a paler shade of teal for the upper walls and cream for lower portion. I think cream will work better than white with your fabric and your window panels will stand out against a colored wall.
  • 13 years ago
    UPDATE: Room is painted. Monroe Bisque on top and decorator's white on wainscoting.

    We have determined that the china cabinets would benefit from a fresh coat of paint as well. Our cabinet person is coming to look at all the doors about spraying them and then husband will paint the frames.

    We painted the drapery rod black and I love it. We also hung the new mirror over the FP. I am now on the hunt for other accessories and 2 buffet lamps.

    I so wish I took a picture before the wall paper and the swag valance came down.

    I will update pictures as soon as we finish accessories.
  • 13 years ago
    Update:
    Once we painted, the china cabinets looked dingy, so we are having our cabinet maker spray the doors (12 of them) and husband will paint the entire framing of the wall to wall unit.

    Once that is done, we're finished.
  • 13 years ago
    It is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Carolins! I decided to leave the window seat without a curtain.
  • 13 years ago
    What a lovely update, simply elegant without being overdone.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you Margaret.
  • 13 years ago
    Room is done. Who's coming for dinner?
  • 13 years ago
    Congratulations! Looks good
  • 13 years ago
    love the buffet lamps & the vases..
    table runner? you could also keep tits bits already with you in the corners of your bay window..
    love that buffet lamps match your chandelier :D even though they are a diff colour.. coordinated! :)
  • 13 years ago
    Great job Judy!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    VERY TASTEFUL!

    The mirror and 2 floral arrangements are so nice.

    The black shades provide a lovely accent.

    I look forward to seeing the "statement" centerpiece for table that you choose.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Love the new room! So glad you painted the mantle white and did not add fabric to the bench seat window. You could add a couple of decorator pillows at the window seat area. Maybe something with the green found in the carpet.
  • 13 years ago
    BM Monroe Bisque goes so well with your lovely rug and curtains.

    Is the field of your rug blue?
    [I thought green had been mentioned in a previous comment upthread.]

    I ask because I am preparing to finally tackle our dining room which is presently a hodge podge of odds and ends.
  • 13 years ago
    The background color of carpet is green.

    The Monroe Bisque looks great with black accents and I like the contrast with the white wainscoting.
    It's a calm relief from the previous wallpaper I had, that was nice but we needed a change.

    It also looks very nice with the blue and white pottery.

    Glad you like it.
    Try a sample!
  • 13 years ago
    The Monroe Bisque looked great! I'm impressed and inspired to try that color too.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you.
  • 13 years ago
    Love your room and choice of paint color. Where do you buy a faux fireplace........really like!
  • 13 years ago
    Paint walls Pewter by Benjamin Moore. It's a gray blue, very nice. Add dove gray panels to large window, on end only don t cover whole window. Over small window remove and replace with the same gray panel, but wrap around rod, and let it hang one one side. In pic your seats look cream? If so replace with a dark gray stripe. Easy to do yourself. Leave all trim white as is.
  • 13 years ago
    Wainscoting below all white also. With the Pewter above. Beautiful home.
  • 13 years ago
    Add very large and tall flower arrangement on Buffett table. By window. To side place large palm. In ceramic pot.
  • 13 years ago
    Art work to left of window. 24x24" in black and gold frame.
  • 13 years ago
    A 5ft runner on table same fabric as seats. Place large silver bowl fill with green apples on dining table.
  • 13 years ago
    Leave ceiling moulding white. Make sure panels go to floor.extend rod out 5" on each side hang from that point.
  • 13 years ago
    I came late to the party. Should have read post first. I see you have painted. It looks great. The whole room came together. Very good job. So just disregard my other post.haha
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    @heavenlysons2 Faux fireplace can be found usually, home improvement centers, online JCPenney, Home Decorators.com and others
  • 13 years ago
    My fireplace is from an old home, it has a wood surround ( the white part) and then another wood piece that is painted to look like marble and then the "firebox" is actually black metal that is shaped like a firebox would be and attached.
    It does not work (is not electric or have any fake logs) it is just a focal point.
    I guess they used to have these in houses for some purpose because there is a hole in the bottom of the metal..
    It also came with a wooden "hearth" piece painted like marble but we had to remove it.

    When we found this in an antique store, the marble part was covered in peel and stick brown and gold tiles. I removed those by heating with hair dryer.
    I knew it would look good because I had already found another one a few years before in even better condition (no peel and stick) and that one is in my bedroom.
    Much nicer than any I've seen at
    JCP etc.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks so much
  • 13 years ago
    I bought one of those ceramic Chinese garden stools (in white) to Block the hole.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would pull a blue from the carpet for the walls
  • 11 years ago
    If you would like a light neutral maybe Sherwin Williams Nacre 6154
    Bit of blue green to tie in with you carpet and create a complimentary colour scheme with your dining furniture, Silver Strand 7057, or Samovar Silver 6233 these two colours will also make your built ins pop.

    You could consider painting the back wall of the built in units I. The wall colour as well.
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you for the new comments. not sure how this post was revived, but the room has been completed for over a year. We are happy with the budget spruce up, as we are nearing retirement age.
    Photos of the dining room are posted above.
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida