Software
Houzz Logo Print
cand1781_gw

Miele or GE 36" Induction cooktop?

10 years ago

I am torn. I was set to get the GE cooktop but then started to question the placement of the largest burner in the middle. My thinking being, if I were to use my skillet, the handle would block the controls. Enter the Miele. The Miele has the largest burner off to the side, as well as the control panel. But then is that limiting the space between the 4 burners which I MAY use more often??? Both have a bridge element which I like. I need to make the decision over the next few days. I would love to hear from those of you who own either of these cooktops and share your experiences....or opinons of anyone who would like to weigh in on the subject!

Below is the Miele cooktop , as well as the GE profile and Cafe.


Thanks!


Comments (26)

  • 10 years ago

    We just got the GE Cafe cooktop (like the one you show in the last picture). I like the cooktop, the induction technology is really impressive -- it's exactly as advertised. Your hunch about the control placement is spot on though, we have ours on the end of an island so we don't a ton of space on either side of the cooktop so we end up putting things on the burners that aren't being used (utensils, food prep, etc.) Inevitably the stuff we place on the cooktop ends up triggering the controls either turning one on or inadvertently adjusting the level of the burner we're using. The fact that it turns one on isn't so bad (just annoying) because the induction won't heat up anything unless it detects a pot over the burner. Adjusting the burners is an issue it's caused us to ruin a meal in the past.

    cand1781 thanked John Jimenez
  • 10 years ago

    I'm getting that Miele cooktop installed next week. I've obviously not used it but I did get to play with it in a store. I like that its configuration allows for 3 bigger pans/pots at once. I didn't find too many other cooktops that allowed this. Usually a big piece of cookware would start crowding out the space of the other hobs.

    cand1781 thanked skik2000
  • 10 years ago

    While I'm not building until next year the KM6370 and 36" GE Cafe are my two finalists at this point. I've looked at and played with both of them and could live with either. I have slight preference for the controls on the GE while I think I like the layout of the Meile a little better. It is my understanding that the GE doesn't have a true bridge but just syncs the front and rear hobs. Not a big deal for me but for some it is a show stopper. The GE is much more affordable. If I were forced to buy one today it would probably be the GE.

    cand1781 thanked Jim1405
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I have the GE Cafe and it's been installed for nearly a year. I really like it. I don't use the center burner as often as the other four, so the handles in the center don't bother me. In fact, I always have the handles moved to the side so I can hold the pot/pan with one hand and stir with the other. The controls are very easy to use, the cooktop is impressive, and I love the induction. I don't think I can ever use radiant electric or gas again! As for the bridge, it wasn't a show stopper for me so I didn't care. The griddle that came with the cooktop works great on the bridge burners and I use it daily. No complaints so far.

    cand1781 thanked seb225
  • 10 years ago

    I didnt realize the bridge wasn't ACTUALLY a bridge. Either way, the GE and Miele are both my favorites for the various sizes of burners.

    Seb- does the cafe cooktop scratch easily? That was the biggest complaint I found about the cafe. I would probably lean towards the profile for that reason but the controls on the cafe are so much prettier :)

  • 10 years ago

    I was thinking to dona soligranite sink but in the cocoa brown. That's a great idea! I guess stainless would match too

  • 10 years ago

    Can you use a smaller pot than the size of the burner?

  • 10 years ago

    I hate when they put the small simmer burner up front. I feel like it will just get in the way.

    cand1781 thanked smm5525
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I got a Précis Cascade in cinder, which looks great. They are on opposite sides of the kitchen so no one notices the match except me, but it still makes me happy. :)


    I use smaller and larger pots on the burners without issues at all. I don't think you should go too small, but a little smaller is fine. I believe the largest differential I have used is 2-2 1/2 inch smaller pot diameter than burner diameter. That leaves about an inch or so of the burner showing all around and it cooks just fine.


    Yes, the smaller simmer burner is in the back and it's location is the best place for me. The burner directly in front of it is my most used one.

    cand1781 thanked seb225
  • 10 years ago

    cand1781 - I know the Meile recognized my 5.5" Demeyere sauce pan on all the hobs. The GE, I don't know yet. They have a working unit at Fergusons that I want try it on. In fact, I might run up there this afternoon.

    seb225 - I'm with you on the color. I like the grey. One thing I've noticed on all the black glass cooktops is how visible smudges and fingerprints are. The grey, not so much.

    cand1781 thanked Jim1405
  • 10 years ago

    Jim1405- did you go see the GE? I've seen it but not the Miele. How does it compare?


    I decided to get the GE cafe based on my cooking practices. I have to agree w smm- I think the smallest burner I the back is a better placement, bc like sebb- the front right is the hob I use most.

  • 10 years ago

    While I understand wanting to have the hob you use most in the front, I have the Bosch which has the largest hob toward the rear, and I like that because the hood does a better job capturing what comes off of the rear hob. Just another thing to think about (as if there weren't millions of things already)

    cand1781 thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • 10 years ago

    Sjhockey...valid point. I didn't even think of that! Ugh! How do you like the bosch? Wait...no...don't answer that! Lol. Really though...how do you like it? I wasn't crazy about how it looked but performance wise, I would consider it If you loved it.

  • 10 years ago

    cand1781 - Yes, I took my 1.0L Demeyere Atlantis pan and was able to play around on it without any supervision. I found the pan (5.5" base dia.) was recognized on all the hobs. I found the controls easy to use and understand. One thing I like is it has +/- buttons for each hob. So if you want to kick it up or reduce it one notch you can hit the + or - button. One other difference is the GE doesn't have a separate boost button. The high setting also is the boost mode. It will automatically reduce it to second from the highest (turn boost off) after 10 minutes I believe just like other manufacturers limit the boost time. Another thing I liked are the shortcuts to high or low after you turn the hob on. After you turn on the hob, to go directly to high (boost) you just hit the "+" button or "-" to go to low.

    I can see pluses and minuses with each layout between Miele and GE. Either would work for me. It just comes down to personal preference.

    As I mentioned above with the cost difference involved at this point I would probably to with the GE.

    Another thing I confirmed is I hate the user interface on the Electrolux Freedom cooktop. It has a scrolling scale control on the touch pad which is anything but convenient to me. The list price of this unit puts it out of the running but I was offered one at close to the Miele price. Even with that, I'd take the Miele or the GE over it any day of the week.

    cand1781 thanked Jim1405
  • 10 years ago

    Sorry to inform (LOL) that I love the Bosch - it has all the features I want and recognizes all pot sizes, even if they're technically too big or too small).

    cand1781 thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • 10 years ago

    Ok. I'm done over thinking this. I'm most definitely set on the GE. While sjhockey fan has a valid point about the hood, I currently have an over the range microwave w fan which is awful. So having a real hood is going to be a considerable upgrade no matter what. The Miele is 1k more than the GE which I'm not sure I see the value anymore. Instead, I'll get my Miele dishwasher, which is an appliance I use sometimes 2x a day. Thanks everyone for all of your help!

  • 10 years ago

    cand1781 - Let us know how it works out for you after you get it installed.

    cand1781 thanked Jim1405
  • 10 years ago

    Will do. Kitchen won't be done until end of October (fingers crossed) but I'll post an update then!

  • 10 years ago

    Skik2000- how do you like the Miele cooktop? I am placing my order tomorrow. I still think I'm getting the GE but still considering the Miele. Decisions decisions!

  • 10 years ago

    I had a look at feature overviews at induction site for Miele km6370, GE profile, and GE Cafe. If money is not really an issue, I do think real bridge with boosting and real timer on all five zones tick the Miele over.

    With Miele, you probably will use the largest zone, and front bridge zone more often. Next probably will be back centre. And that's plenty of space for three decent size/largish pots and pans (easily fit 12", 10", and 8"/9").

  • 10 years ago

    So far so good cand. It's my first time on induction so I'm more focused on the induction itself as opposed to the Miele vs another. I've mainly been using the big hob on the right, as Chanop says. I haven't used the bridge or the timers yet. I also need to turn on the half step power settings. The hobs are definitely spread out enough to allow 3 bigger pieces of cookware at once. One thing I will note is that the burners are kind of set back from the front of the cooktop, more so than any range/cooktop I've used before. Perhaps the exhaust hood makes it seem even more so but only the front part of the bridge and the smallest hobs are near the front of the cooktop.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm also trying to get better at pressing the right spot to change the power setting. Sometimes I'll try and bump it up one and it'll beep but not change. I guess I'm pressing it in the wrong place.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the update! I really love the idea of the individual timers BUT....I think no matter what, I will be happy. I will be upgrading from a 30 to a 36 so I'm gaining an additional burner regardless. I measured all of the bottoms of my pans again(which happen to be induction cooktop friendly) and I don't think going to the GE will be a bad thing. Great point about having the larger burners in the back. someone else did mention that earlier in the post. Thanks for your help! Have fun playing with your cooktop!

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks and good luck to you too. Did you measure the diameter of the tops of the pans too?

  • 10 years ago

    For instance, when using a flared frying pan on the front left burner, will it crowd out the burner behind it?