Software
Houzz Logo Print
rcpeden

rcpeden@yahoo.com

13 years ago
The countertops are beautiful. What is the name? I would like to try to find!
La Costa · More Info

Comments (4)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi Rcpeden, the name I've seen most often used for this stone is VITORIA REGIA. I've also seen it called Safari Green, and I've been told that it is as much serpentine as granite. (This can matter in that serpentine is a bit softer than granite, and softer materials don't hold a shine the same as harder materials.) It's true, it is one of the most beautiful materials I've seen, and "reads" a lot like marble.
  • 12 years ago
    Can you tell me if you installed the vent a hood first and then tiled around it or installed on top of tile? I have purchase some uneven glass tile and am concerned the vent a hood will not lay flat on top of tile. Just wondering what the proper install would be? Thanks
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    #Plummer You are probably going to get different opinions on this question, but I prefer to install the tile on the wall first and then install the hood on top of the tile. (We did it that way with the hood in this photo.) Your issue of of uneven tile can complicate this, of course.
    We just finished an install where the hood was placed on top of traditional ceramic tile that had been floated about 3/4" off the wall. We would have been okay except that the tile didn't run all the way up the wall: it stopped just above the working part of the hood, right at the base of the duct cover. This meant that we ended up with a 3/4" reveal between the duct cover and the wall. We solved the problem by making a 3/4" drywall "check" in the wall in the profile of the duct cover.
    You could do something similar by creating a raised drywall platform in the shape of the hood that is perhaps 1/8" larger than the hood all around. This is only going to work if you have a squarish hood and a skilled drywall installer, however.
    You may be better off installing the hood first and tiling up to it. Just make sure that you take a look at the back of the hood, underneath, where it touches the wall. Sometimes this part of the hood is too thin to catch a thicker tile, and you will need to find some kind of trim to make the tile look finished in this area.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you.....the added drywall in the shape of the hood it probably the best idea. The tile is glass and is almost a basket weave. At $39.00 SF not counting install, I want to get it right the first time!! Thanks so much for your help!!!