Software
Houzz Logo Print
ashleyjoh

Need help w/ 1200 sqft 1961 ranch. Updating kitchen/laundry

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

I'm closing on a 1961 ranch style house soon. There are some renovations I'll be doing before moving in, but they won't be comprehensive. I'd like to come up with a design for what I want things to look like eventually, and make sure whatever I do now is compatible. The kitchen area specifically will have to wait, unless I'm able to use the existing cabinets and move them around to open up the space better.

I'm having a hard time finding a place for the laundry. Currently it's in the kitchen right off the garage and I definitely don't want to keep it there forever. I'd like to also try to find space for a pantry and a small mudroom (enough space to hang a few jackets, backpacks, and maybe somewhere to sit while putting boots on).

My initial idea is to take out the wall between the dining room and kitchen, shift everything down and make a combined laundry/pantry area in that newly-empty space. Not sure what type of space should be devoted to this in a small home, and if there are other good locations? I'm open to alternatives, though the cheaper the project is, the more likely it is I can do it soon. :)

New House · More Info

Comments (5)