Software
Houzz Logo Print
redland65

Please help with ideas for exterior color coordination

10 years ago

The brick is confounding me! We would like to update and lighten the exterior of our house and I am struggling with colors to coordinate with the brick and roof color as the roof was recently shingled and we do not want to paint the brick which is only on the front of the house. We have a large deck, gazebo, shed and fence in the back yard, all cedar that has all been left natural other than the shed which is currently the same color as the house so I am leaning towards neutral colors. We will be replacing the fascia, gutters and soffits, I was thinking of a color like Behr "Toffee Crunch" for the wood siding and something lighter like Behr color "Wool Skein" or "Universal Khaki" for fascia, gutters, soffits, window and door trim. We will also be replacing the garage and entry door but have not got that far yet. Any ideas for color combos would be greatly appreciated.

Barb



Comments (20)

  • 10 years ago
    Don't know if you ever considered going with something with a gray/ blue tones.
  • 10 years ago
    Nice house. Paint the garage door and trim a medium tone charcoal gray. Problem solved
    redland65 thanked Sharon Veenhof
  • 10 years ago

    I wouldn't pick a color that's too cool since it could fight with your roof and brick. Is it possible to post a closeup of the brick?

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    We clad accent walls and features in cedar planks attached to furring strips we screwed into the brick. Gave a flat, boring 60's ranch house a fresh modern look (along with painting the brick, of course!).
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Would you consider painting the brick? You could then use the same color for the brick and the siding which would make the house more cohesive and not chopped up by different finishes. Don't paint the garage door! Too pretty and would look amazing next to warmer tone on the house.

  • 10 years ago
    Looks like your roof is lighter brown/ beige so I would probably use warm colors in that family. They I'll look good with your wood garage door. Consider an orange or pumpkin for your front door too. The other thing I would highly recommend is getting rid of all of the bushes (end of driveway, walkway and beside the two front windows) and doing other foundation plantings mixed with warm colored flowers. If you can swing it, change out the old brass lights for something larger in size and in a darker metal. Wishing you all the best and please post "after" pics!
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Nancy for doing the mock up, it helps as I hadn't thought of blues, my first instinct was to lean toward the warmer analogous colors.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks shari13 - Totally agree with you about the large bushes, we'll be tackling those later on and getting rid of them or replacing with smaller shrubs.

  • 10 years ago

    Chloebud I lean toward the warmer colors as well. Here is a closer photo of the bricks.

  • 10 years ago
    Warm gray, black trim and punchy orange door. Perfect match with the garage door.
  • 10 years ago

    New Leaf Renovation and Arthur Rutenburg homes - Thanks very much for your ideas, unfortunately my husband won't hear of painting the brick or covering it and that is the problem I am having as I think having just one color on the main body of the house would make it look bigger and not draw attention to all the boxy pieces that are there now.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks MK, I like the grays but just not sure how it would look with the tan roof. The eaves are fairly big and was hoping to go a lighter color with them to provide some reflected light inside as well.

  • 10 years ago
    Look at Benjamin Moore's historical colors. You need something muted, and many of those offer just the right hue. I'd consider a light green and possibly a coral color as well. It looks like you have white trim on the windows, which you should take into consideration. Unless you're in love with the wood on the garage, I'd paint it in the same trim colors for some extra pop.
    redland65 thanked Thea
  • 10 years ago


  • 10 years ago

    Thanks very much groveraxle, maybe I have been trying to reinvent the wheel when I should be leaving the colors alone and just refresh everything and go with a slightly less dark brown eaves, gutter & fascia than we have now. The dark sidelights look way better too and are a big update.

    Your use of a paint color averaging the brick really does lessen the choppiness of the front and make the whole thing more cohesive, just not sure if I could live with it on the rest of the house.



  • 10 years ago
    I really like what cloveraxle posted. I also totally agree with your husband about painting brick. Ugh. I also really like your clear, vertical grain wood garage door. That kind of wood is becoming harder and harder to find and should be treasured.
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks reupser, we do like the look of our garage door but it isn't insulated, just has the thin wood panels and our winters can get to -35C so frosts up big time on the inside. We tried changing out the weatherstripping, new rubber on the bottom, re-staining the inside and outside but still have to keep a fan running to keep some of the frost off so were thinking a an insulated steel door might help.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hello, redland65! We've found a color, you might like! And it's frost resistant 100%!


    redland65 thanked Delap flexible stone LLC
  • 8 years ago

    Don't want to dredge up an old post but I can't help myself... would love to see what you ended up doing if you see this comment!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz