Software
Houzz Logo Print
hlkoncan

Kitchen help needed

10 years ago

I have a dark dated kitchen, that because of a load bearing wall(pennisula runs out from this wall), I can not figure out what to do, without it being cost prohibitive. I will be replacing the windows, flooring, double ovens but keeping the fridge, gas cooktop, and microwave. I will also keep the calcutta marble backsplash and counters. I would like to change the cabinet colour and pennisula with an island. The pennisula is currently dividing the kitchen from the breakfast table. Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks.


Comments (11)

  • 10 years ago
    How about putting a wall full of narrow pantry style cupboards on the loading bearing wall where the peninsula is now. Then moving the fridge away from the sink into the other area by the stove top and would be the cooking and prep area. The sink could stay in the same location with a dishwasher and that would be the clean up area. Unless you are planning on moving plumbing? Can the load bearing wall next to the refrigerator be cut back to cabinet depth or less to help it blend in?
    Laura Koncan thanked 2219
  • 10 years ago

    This is very weird set up with the sink so far away from cook top. I would save for a renovation where you can get a better layout. Also that peninsula is too long.

  • 10 years ago

    hahaha I agree it's weird. welcome to my world. :) That sink section is an addition, by the previous owners. We looked into a reno. which would require structural changes but the price tag was well over a 100K. Thanks for your comments. I couldn't agree more.

  • 10 years ago

    The room is really not that bad and the light is nice. It feels a bit top heavy and closed in. Here are my suggestions;

    Remove the peninsula, put the microwave in the area where the double ovens are and purchase a full stove with oven. Remove the top cupboards in the stove area and replace with open shelving. Paint the room a brighter colour and paint the cupboards white or something in that family. You could put a small island in the space in front of the stove, Ikea has some small ones that might work.

    Laura Koncan thanked oneofeleven
  • 10 years ago

    Here is one idea from Ikea

  • 10 years ago

    I don't think an island will be an improvement over the peninsula, but if the peninsula is as long as it appears in the third photo, it definitely needs to be shorter!

    Laura Koncan thanked acm
  • 10 years ago

    if you need the storage space, remove the peninsula and put in a pantry closet (to the ceiling, but not protruding out as far as the peninsula is now).

    Laura Koncan thanked mendys
  • 10 years ago

    I would just remove the peninsula and replace it with deep pullout drawers and a countertop, wider than your current one (same width as that wall), but just less than 1/2 the length it is currently. That would give you storage and countertop space for serving or prepping, but open up the space.

    Laura Koncan thanked calidesign
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you so much, to everyone, for taking the time to view the pics and sharing your ideas with me. It is very much appreciated.


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I like your quirky kitchen. It has a nice window for the person standing at the sink. I like that the person peeking in the fridge is not in the way of the person standing at the stove. You seem to have adequate countertop space for food preparation. If the peninsular was absent, it would be possible to walk past another person without bumping them. I think an island would not be helpful and would be in the way. I would remove the peninsula for sure.

    It really does not need more than that. However, if I could add one thing it would be an auxiliary sink. I think I would like to drain a pot of hot pasta without encountering anyone at the fridge or washing their hands. I would put the secondary sink near the breakfast table and maybe even add a pot filler. If there was room, I would put the coffee maker there too. I know this sink would not really be much closer, but it is more in a direct line right behind the cooktop.

    If you do not want a sink I still suggest a small cabinet there but no island. I'm not an artist but I made a crude drawing of my idea.

    I know you intend to paint your cabinets but I made mine brown to fit it now. I think painting the cabinets is a very good idea.

    Sorry my cabinet looks so shallow. As I said, I'm no artist.