Software
Houzz Logo Print
babw1968

Exterior door dilema

10 years ago

We are replacing our exterior front door which has a southern exposure. We want to do a dark navy blue to match our shutters but I am afraid of fading because of the dark color. We will probably be installing a screen door but not sure..depending on the style of the door. Is Fiberglass or steel the best option. Or any other suggestions?

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago

    If you have no shade or overhang, a steel door can get really hot (depending on your climate). I'd go with fiberglass. If the door is prepped and painted properly, it should be fine.

    Beth Werner thanked torreykm
  • 10 years ago

    Make sure painting the fiberglass door a dark color and using a storm door in combination with it does not void the warranty. My sister's fiberglass door warranty was voided if the door was painted dark red. (Apparently some dark colors absorb a lot of heat and buildup between the fiberglass door and the storm door could warp or crack the fiberglass?)

    Beth Werner thanked palimpsest
  • 10 years ago

    Practigal. We live in the country so noise is not a problem

  • 10 years ago

    Torreykm. We live in Minn. so we have a shorter summer but it still can get pretty hot at times. It will be a brand new door so I assume the finish will be up to standards. We have a steel door now and have had no issues with it getting hot. We were told if we got a screen door to make sure it had Low E glass so that the door wouldn't get too hot and to help protect from fading.

  • 10 years ago

    Lily'smom. The door comes already painted and if I am going to pay over a thousand dollars for a door I have no intention of repainting it in my lifetime.

  • 10 years ago

    Check over on the paint forum. They discuss the specifics of this sort of thing from time to time.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Beth - unfortunately that's not how painted finishes work. No matter how much you pay for the door, if you want it to look nice you will indeed have to sand/repaint it eventually. I love my screen door too, but it is best if you can find a style that gives venting options. It gets wicked hot between glass and the door in the summer.

  • 10 years ago

    If you have a southern exposure, I would think you will have problems with both a glass storm door and paint.

    The door company should advise you on whether or not a storm door would cause problems by trapping heat between the doors. If you have the screen on most of the door, it might be less of an issue.


    A neighbor of mine with a southern exposure had a front door that was always peeling paint. For years. When I talked to him about it, he said he kept painting it and the paint would always peel. The answer for him was to get a fiberglass door. It's a light color and I haven't noticed any peeling since he installed it. I don't think he paints it but I don't know if it's non-painted or factory painted. (He does not have a storm door.)