0
sautesmom

Lovell peach fruit

So I decided to let a Lovell rootstock grow and fruit, since back in the day it was a canning peach but I couldn't find any taste descriptions.

It has a very interesting texture, not like today's cling nor like an eating peach, really more like an apricot. Flavor is very peach-y, but not real sweet, with a hint of orange. The pit came off pretty easily.

An interesting experience, but not enough to keep taking my limited space for next year.

Carla in Sacramento

• Jean

If from a grafted tree, not the desirable Lovell.

Looks very apricotish to me.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Interesting experiment, Carla! Was it edible? Or, maybe good enough to can or put up? While I'm thinking of it, can you PM me? I have a question for you. Thanks!

Patty S.

• matthias_lang

Yes, very interesting! It does look like an apricot, except for the seed, of course.

• Sonali Bosiger

Hoosierquilt USDA PATTY here are the pics

Sonali, we really should take this discussion over to the Citrus Forum. But, first thing I can see for sure, is your tree has spider mites. In the last photo, you can see a webbing string from the tip of one branch, over to another branch. We have had a time of it here in San Diego county these last couple of dry, hot summers, with bad spider mites. So, treat your tree for spider mites. Multiple times. And, your tree appears to have a root issue. I would re-pot as I recommended to you in a PM. When you pull the tree out of the garden pot, check the roots to see what's going on. See if the tree is root- bound. If it has circling roots, trim away the roots that are circling. If the tree has dead roots, trim those away as well. If the roots are rotting, due to poor drainage, you're going to need to trim the dead, rotting roots away, and may have to rinse the entire root ball in a 1:20 bleach solution, then re-pot. And of course, be sure to use a fairly porous soil mix again, as I suggested in the PM. Once the tree shows signs of recovery (new leaves pushing out), start fertilizing it as I recommended.
    Anything further, I would re-post over at the Citrus Forum so you can get more S. Calif. outdoor citrus folks to help you out :-)

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx

Patty S.

I agree with you about coming over to the citrus forum. Several of us have discussed missing you and some of the other citrus'ers. I am curious how your new line up of citrus tree in your yard have done. I now have 5 citrus trees permanently outside in ground and doing well having survived our single digit winters under glass.

6b Steve