Software
Houzz Logo Print
kipnwanda

Be kind...this is my first time asking for advice

10 years ago
It seems I am always looking for and changing out the items on our coffee table. I like monochromatic looks, but as you can see we have purple chairs. Advise please.

Comments (559)

  • 10 years ago
    Oooh Ease you could get me into a lot of trouble! Haha, would love lighter chairs. I even thought of taking the purple chairs downstairs and bring the black/chrome one up. We need to paint the whole indoors and outdoor in the next year or so...we have to remodel a main floor powder room (along with removing that dratted old door) in the near future. Then we'll get the floors redone (it's been 15 yrs) to get rid of the golden tone. But.....I could change out the art with that whiter one now! (That one is called remodel) it was a collaboration between my hubby and I that didn't turn out, haha so I plastered over it and rubbed until some of the colors were uncovered. The living room seems more comfortable to me.....smile.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    WE..that is crazy how that piece of art was created!! That is a memory forever saved in paint! You could change it out for different seasons warmer art for winter and white bright art for spring and summer. It's funny I was going to suggest you bring in the black and chrome chair and move out the purple for a completely different look...but I thought the other Houzzers would really loose it on me!:(( well you have the option to change it out if you want a change in atmosphere. ..enjoy your gorgeous comfortable calm space:)


    Thought you might be curious on the prices of the chairs..

    Surprisingly the chairs are very reasonably priced....first two have amazing prices...



    These are getting up there in price..but I actually like the cheaper ones.




  • 10 years ago
    Ease that is funny we were thinking the same thing about the chairs. I don't dare ask hubby to move them today!! He already thinks I'm nuts for changing things (but likes it after). We're going to ask our upholsterer for an estimate. He always begins more negative but if we prod him he comes around and does a fantastic job. I think a light grey maybe. Taupe turns lavenderish in this house.
  • 10 years ago
    Waiting for the final pillows to get here before I take a picture. At some point we I'll paint. I know someone a long time ago mentioned paint. Right now the living room is a taupe/greige color. Wanting to go a tad lighter, what color would you suggest?
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    OMG!, that painting is stunning over that white cabinet...what do you think? I have some light gray paint colors I will list later for you.

  • 10 years ago
    We really like all the tones of white, it widens the room. Thank you so much for all your help Home Interiors with Ease. There are so many options out there, cool, warm, neutral.......
  • 10 years ago
    Received the sculptures and need another "eye". One, both, none? I think the tall one looks ok. Think the dining table needs something higher?
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi...WE

    love them of course...you need to place the tall one towards the back and layer the low long one partially in front of the tall one..you gotta love the layering effect!! Hehe

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Kinda like this display....layered but on right side of painting.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Elegant look of art and ovals! So why paint now. ;-)

    "have fun" moving /playing making triangle with sconce...

    the color of most of our house is a greige color. The wall above LR into MB is graphite (Annie Sloan),

  • 10 years ago
    Hmmm it is fun!!
  • 10 years ago

    You don't use the door, it's ok. Did you recall when choosing sculpture that same oval is in the art.......

  • 10 years ago

    I think the sculptures are keepers, you just need to tweak the arrangement of them a bit.

  • 10 years ago
    No I didn't but noticed it right away after adjusting it. Interesting, huh? Waiting for the rest of the pillows for another addition. The door will be removed when we remodel the powder room, yea. Course then we'll have to paint...sigh.
  • 10 years ago
    How would you tweek the sculptures? Thank you houzzers!
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Oh....I love it...looks sooo artsy! For a very artsy person...have fun and keep creating lovely things to look at...layering is so fun and works great with mirrors to! Enjoy:))

  • 10 years ago

    Hey all,

    WE love what you've done, your room is getting more and more gorgeous all the time :)

  • 10 years ago
    Final photos, feels comfy. On to the next project! Thank you so much houzzers its been fun....and I'll be back.
  • 10 years ago

    beautiful!! yes, always another project.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    WE....WOW! Looks so beautiful and sophisticated.....I love that you put your black leather chair in place of the purple..it has truly transformed into a soft monochromatic space:)) looks like something out of Architectural Digest or a Inspirational image on Houzz!!! Hope to help on your next project..please let me know when you post new one!! So fun working with you..

  • 10 years ago
    Home Interiors with Ease
    Thank you for all the handholding, haha. I have other rooms which I'll post separately. You were going to suggest light grey paint colors. Neutral? I like most of the house the same color. The living room windows are tinted (I think bronze) so it tends to be more beige. Just wondering what colors you would suggest so I can get samples to visualize. I thought all white at one time but like some difference between wall color and white trim color. We need to redo the stairs too ... Debating whether to carpet again (it runs up into a hall and master bedroom) or something else.
  • 10 years ago
    I love the purple. Not crazy about the cactus. I think you need to get pillows on the couch that bring the purple over to the sofa. That cactus looks dangerous and well - uninviting.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I love SW agreeable gray....is a wonderful safe gray..no fail...and has no blue cast..it is a true warm gray.

    SW Wordly gray...I have Wordly gray throughout my entire home with SW Shoji white trim..it is subtle and beautiful...goes with everything.

    What is the color on walls now?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think wood stairs would be beautiful and go well with your style in the light wood like on your floors..it will bring a very organic element into that area. Check into a steal cable railing very budget friendly but looks amazing!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Bellburgmaggie....room is complete check out WE'S final images near the end of her posts. So beautiful!

  • 10 years ago
    bellburgmaggie
    See the latest final photos. Purple is gone. A lot has changed and the cactus is staying. It grew up crooked in a conservatory, was 80 yrs old when we bought it and on the other side it is straight. It is over 100 yrs old so we are keeping it.
    HIWE
    Our color was mixed no name (greige?) and last we painted was 2009 so it's time again. I will look at color swatches, thank you so much. I thought there may be some neutrals. Love greys.
  • 10 years ago
    Yes we were thinking of wood, our floors need refinishing and I was thinking of a lighter tone with maybe a grey?
    We have glass and white railings as pictured
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Look at BMoore Penthouse..very nice neutral...

    beautiful glass on stairs...never saw it in the pictures of your space...light wood is the way to go especially with the glass....a very subtle gray on the walls would be beautiful!

  • 10 years ago

    I love grey wood. I am not a grey wall person. We have too much grey in the world via concrete and industrial buildings.

    Boo to anyone who puts down purple. I may even do a dilemma which is really a rant.

  • 10 years ago

    I do love your space now - the purple was so extroverted that it "shouted over" the quieter others.... SO nice that I can see - it's a commitment now. :) I guess I mean, to neutrals.....

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    And even the outdoors becomes the "gentle giant" brother, walking side by side with its stylish indoors.... w/o purple flowers.... it's like smooth vanilla ice cream instead.... just trying to explain.

  • 10 years ago

    Been reading and noticing houzz photos with grey backgrounds, and gleaming brass/ gold tones. How beautiful the warm shines against cool grey..... wood too I guess does become an accent.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    WE. Room finale looks beautiful and serene. Adding a natural element was the perfect choice for this space. Even though your purple added panache, the largest element in this room isn't IN the room - it's the view! By toning down the colors you have allowed the eye to celebrate the architecture and greenery surrounding your space. Well done!
  • 10 years ago
    Ramona
    While we want to lighten our yellowed wood floors to a lighter grayish color, I think a tad lighter wall color would be good. What color paint would you recommend? Worldly gray has been suggested. I like purple too!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    there are greys with purple undertones. the ones I've seen might be too dark, but I will paste example. maybe you can get it lightened up. I find this purplish grey very soothing and welcoming. Look at the house it is in via the links. I think you would like the house too.

    New Home - Modern & Efficient · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Ramona .. Like that house, don't think I would like the purple-gray. That is the color in one of my new sofa pillows tho. The "worldly gray" looks different in other areas of the house. Eden (orchid) is doing good. You really put 2 ice cubes on the surface each week?
  • 10 years ago

    yes, the ice cubes work. now ideally, some fertilizer at certain points. depending on when your particular orchid is blooming or resting.

    If you can keep Eden alive with the ice cubes, first lesson learned.

    They tend to rebloom even if you ignore them except for their minimal water needs. You can take Eden when she is finished blooming, put her somewhere less prominent and see what she does. The dead brown flower stalk can be trimmed but not until it is brown. They often throw new shoots from a stalk that looks like it is finished. In the meantime, get another from supermarket or wherever to replace Eden on the coffee table. You have perfect bright/indirect light for orchids. Sometimes orchids surprise and bloom again way soon.

    I had not realized your cactus was 100 years old. It deserves reverence, not criticism. Holy object there living with you.

    worldly grey is not offensive to me. there are as many greys as there are whites and whites are complicated as I have learned here on houzz.

    I suspect getting the right grey is as complicated as getting the right white.


  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    You might want to look at BM elephant gray...it is one of The designer Candice Olsens fav paint colors...

    might be a little dark but mixed at 50% it might be just right.

  • 9 years ago
    Another "final" arrangement
  • 9 years ago
    The final pic with an alternate arrangement.
  • 9 years ago

    Beautiful! The sculpture on the coffee table is perfect. Amazing the evolution that took place because of simply wanting to find the perfect piece for it (I think you did). Thanks for updating :)

  • 9 years ago

    I think you have created a successful monochromatic room. It is not dull or cold, like often they can be.

  • 9 years ago

    beautiful!

  • 9 years ago

    Your room truly has a peaceful calming feel to it. Great job!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Wow did not realize you could separate the sectional..it looks amazing! Just Brilliant! My goodness it looks so beautiful.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you so much! With your help we may get a whole house paint color lighter than the grey/beige it is now. Doing a powder room remodel now. I struggle with colors!
  • 9 years ago

    Your room has turned out to be worthy of being in a magazine! What a great idea to separate the sectional. It looks like it should have always been that way. Thanks for the up-date. Looking forward to seeing the Powder Room transformation :)

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you tedbixby, I've missed you
  • 6 years ago

    Updated photo. I’m tired of the multi light lamp behind the couch. Any suggestions for something new?

  • 6 years ago

    Forgot the photo