Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4lynne

Need help decorating my new kitchen... help!

Lynne Forrestal
11 years ago
Just redid entire kitchen and bath.... now need to decorate! Can You Help Me?
Kitchen, need window treatments for patio door, need wall art for two main walls and small end wall. Think I need a rug in dining area.
I like clean lines and little clutter, but still want a warm and inviting space. I have two long shelves I can paint to add to one wall, but not sure if that is the best choice.
Thought of patio door coverings going to the ceiling, perhaps with a covered cornice board so rod is hidden. Door is the only window in the room,5 ft wide and leads to a north facing covered patio.( currently covering in snow) but very active area 3 seasons out of the year... so lots of traffic through the door.
The Table and chairs , do I keep them or get new?
I'd really appreciate some ideas... I know I can use any color almost with grays, but now I don't know what to do.

Comments (256)

• groveraxle
    11 years ago
    Wow, did you know you can get Marimekko in oilcloth? Pricey, but pretty: http://www.scandinaviandesigncenter.com/Products/usd0/Scandinavian_Fabrics/Vaxdukar&Page=1
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    Anecdote alert (that might help you shop for fabric): I found an ottoman at Home Goods, but couldn't tell if the color was right with my new rug or if it would clash. So I went to West Elm on my iPhone, downloaded the rug, and used the photo to compare right in the store.

Put an image of the bird canvas on your phone and take it with you. If you're set on the bird, you should go ahead and buy it so you can get swatches at the fabric store and bring them home to compare. With fabric, I often find what looks perfect in the store is a total dud when I get it in the room.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Great idea... now if I can get the smart phone to work for a tech dummy!
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Im not too familar with oil cloth, if I recall, it's super heavy right? Not sure if I have a sewing machine that can handle heavy stuff, I need to borrow my moms machine, ( she doesn't know it yet!).
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    The problem with oilcloth is most of the patterns are very retro, and downright ugly. Honestly, I would find a washable fabric that's not too expensive and make envelope cushion covers so you can easily slip them off and wash them. They're so easy, once you get it down, you could make several sets and change them as the mood strikes you.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That's what I was thinking too, Groveraxle, going tomorrow after my appointment, if I don't get booked in between now and then... I never know what my day will bring from day to day!.. JoAnn fabrics has 50% off Home Decor fabrics now, and have lots of outdoor ones too. Didn't have time to really look when I stopped in yesterday. And now after hours of searching on line last night, I think I have a better idea of what to narrow down too.
    One question, pattern on the fabric, Too geometric seems to collide with the chevron rug, to flowery doesn't seem to go with the painting, that has more oval leaves and flowers... do you understand what I mean... or do you think Im being too fussy about those details since these are just chair cushions. ?
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Years ago I had a spray to protect fabric, but don't know if they still make it as I think it contained some kind of chemical that they later banned... but like a scotchguard finish, is what I think it was.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, I just checked they do still have a scotch guard fabric protector in spray, sold at local big box stores supposidly
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    I understand the dilemma about fabric patterns which is why I suggest you bring home swatches, although at JoAnn's, you have to pay for them. But I would look for multicolored stripes or florals that are bold, rather than fussy. Many of the patterns you posted above would probably work, but the real test comes when you get them in the room.
  • Kevin Retired Decorator
    11 years ago
    I don't think you have found the right fabric yet. Maybe something with a black back ground if your going for a print. A stripe or a small geometric pattern I feel would work too. They still make fabric spray protector. I would just put a towel over the cushions for the kids when they come. At certain ages you just have too . lol
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    11 years ago
    I haven't followed this thread very closely, so forgive the question: are you making a boxed pillow for a bench? (you made a comment about oilcloth being heavy to sew on) If you don't have a machine that can do it, this would be a moot point, but why don't you make one side of the cushion a solid vinyl - that way you can always just wash it off.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    kathryn, someone had suggested oil cloth, I am not that familiar with it, I will need to borrow my mothers sewing machine, so not sure if it has the ability to sew heavy fabrics like vinyl... but I do like the idea if it's possible.
    I don't have the bench yet, was mostly working on chair seat cushions since I can't find the right size to fit, and color/patterns. The grandkids for the most part are getting older, but there are still a couple of small ones and two more babies coming this year, May and Nov... so it will need some protection :)... I do plan to make envelope simple ones so I can change out the covers, and possibly wash them if the fabric is right. Hope to know more on that tommorrow after my shopping trip... i was trying to collect opinions on the fabrics I found online last night....seems most people don't care for them. I know I need to see in person also.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I just posted a few photos of items I purchased, and all ready have... wondering if I could use any of those on the shelf wall, maybe with some alterations.... When I get a spray paint can in my hand, my husband runs LOL
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I bought myself a miter saw, a couple of months ago, can't wait to try that out too... haven't had time or decent weather yet to use it outside or in garage.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    11 years ago
    That was me that suggested the oilcloth. It is not as heavy as vinyl - that's why I thought it might work. You can finish an edge with binding tape. Yes, most of the patterns are retro/vintage, and probably wouldn't work with what you're doing (I happen to think that these can be fun; I can't always take this stuff too seriously) but there are some solids or very simple patterns which might work.

If you are looking for something specifically for the little ones, what about using a towel - I think Kevin mentioned this. You could even use a fun towel and back it with that waterproof fabric - the kind used on a changing table. Then you could wash it really easily. If you made a couple of these, maybe they could just be velcroed on when the kids are there; that way, you're not as limited in your fabric choice and you would have waterproof protection.

I like the fabrics you posted, but are you trying to pull the wall color in? It would be nice to find something with that color in it, but easier said than done!
    11 years ago
    Lynne your Pics of new things & old for your shelf's didn't post.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    They are in my idea book.. for some reason that is a different link? I don't quite understand how this works, first time posting a question. here is the url for it http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/3419198/thumbs/Kitchen-decor-needed-for-my-new-kitchen---help-
  • PRO
    Debra Gunstanson
    10 years ago
    @groveraxle like the top pic with trees trying to convince my husband to let me do that
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Finally getting the panels hung tomorrow morning.. hope they look alright. If not I will go to a plan B ;)
    Cushions will hopefully get done next week.. and of course the bird picture is on the way. Weather finally warmed up , just in time for the water heater to start leaking, so that means I got pulled off the kitchen project, to handle the laundry/storage room/ water heater issue, which lead to other projects , and with the nice weather the next 3 days, I'll be getting the patio cleaned up from winter... but I will be doing bits and pieces of the kitchen project when I can.. getting the shelves dug out, cleaned up and sanded soon so I can get those painted too.
    Ill post progress photos as they come.
    10 years ago
    Can't wait to see the new pics with the curtains. Etc
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, the panels are not up, returning them... they just don't work, they are too wimpy.
    Can anyone help me find white panels with a texture but not a real pattern or print. I was thinking of panels on the left of the patio door, with a valance over the right side where the door opens... to cover the top of the trim and door, ( maple color and white door) to tie it together. 84 inch length will do, if I go t ceiling it's 92 inches, and I really didn't want to alter if I can avoid it. also, the valance would then need to be very deep to cover the extra 8 inches plus. It's north facing with a covered patio, so don't want black out , but not sheers either.
    I've been searching and just can't find white panels with texture that also has matching valance... or do you think Im making too big of a deal out of the valance part? Any ideas, links would be greatly appreciated.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Here are a few, some cream, some white:
    http://www.wayfair.com/Cite-A-Heavy-Solid-Fabric-with-Horizontal-Slubs-70372-109-001-CXF1003.html?piid=9433206

http://www.wayfair.com/Waverly-Cirrus-Drape-and-Valance-Set-in-Cream-WVY1053.html

http://www.wayfair.com/Madison-Park-Anderson-Silk-Texture-Grommet-Panel-and-Valance-Set-in-Cream-QMP1059.html

That said, I would not do the valence. I'm not sure why you want it. Also, I love the Belgian linen from Restoration Hardware but they are very pricey. Third, I don't quite understand why any drapes are so pricey, and why more people don't make their own. So here are three fabrics that might be suitable:
    http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=70a78e17-7509-4664-ab81-f83b5443eff9

http://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fabric-linen-fabric-european-linen-fabric-european-linen-fabric-white.aspx

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=003cb8f6-1e88-4acc-86f0-382c3b329d47&CategoryID=37548fb1-3c16-45b3-9ecc-f37c960d615c

If you can sew a straight stitch (or have a friend who can), hem two panels and hang them with rings and clips and you're done.
  • kgrad
    10 years ago
    Regarding the patio doors / valance dilemma. One option would be to have roman blinds installed, that way you cover the white/wood contrast and you can have the left side partially down (or up) and the right side can always be up.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks all for the suggestions, and Kathryn, I need to dig out your link, I thought there was one, but couldn't find it yesterday.. IKEA.. I think that's about the only place I didn't go!! LOL... Groveraxle, the trim and door colors being different has always bothered me, but It won't change so I thought if it had a valance on the same rod, over the right side of the door with panels on the left, it would cover the differences, with the exception of the one side pc... which is unavoidable.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Have any of you ever ordered from IKEA, curtain panels? Kathryn found panels, 2 for $9.99 poly 70% and cotton 30%... they are so cheap compared to others... I like low prices and don't expect the world but wonder if they are decent? I will need to hem these, but for this price.... I have them in my shopping cart hoping the answers are positive. I know my son LOVES IKEA, but I've never been to a store, we don't have them near here.
    10 years ago
    I like Ikea OK it's seems its geared to the young when starting out a new place. I don't care for the quality over all. But great for the budget restricted. IMHO
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Kevin, I figured that, but thought for that price, could give it a try and I can always replace later, for that price.... or move to a spare room or office if it shrinks too much!
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have "cheap" living room furniture, because we hardly sit in there, so it holds up fine for what we need, then we have $8,000 mathress, because my back NEEDS it!! so I put money where it's needed. if I have it at the time.
  • pattyag
    10 years ago
    Hi Lynne... Have you ever looked at e-bay or Craigslist? You can find some really good deals there...
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Lynne, we have an Ikea less than 10 miles away. I don't go there often, but if I make it over there before you decide to purchase whatever curtains, I will take a look at them for you. I agree with Kevin that a lot of Ikea is geared towards temporary/first apt. type rooms. However, I do know that some of their other things are quite well made. I know someone with an Ikea kitchen and it looks like a million bucks, and wears well, too. I have seen their other textiles and while they obviously don't look like $100 panels, they are quite nice for the price. Now watch - these will be horrible lol!
  • Sunny Zapoticzny
    10 years ago
    I &
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Kathryn for that fantastic offer!, I just clicked order :)... with shipping and all it's under $31 for the patio door, so I don't think it will be wasted... I have a room I can put rejects in :) ( it's an 8 x 9 room that I use as a closet. ... yes it is an actual bedroom that size LOL.. they did look fine on line ... but IKEA is very brief with their descriptions.... when I go visit my son in MN next month, I am going to be sure that we make a stop there at IKEA. Then I will have a feel for things myself too for the future.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Oh, definitely go there, Lynne! It is a very fun store, and if nothing else, you'll find a lot of cute tools and accessories for your new kitchen! Also, if you google Ikea makeovers or Ikea hacks, you will see all kinds of ideas on modifying simple and inexpensive Ikea pieces to make them look like a much more expensive piece. I especially think that their storage, drawers, and bookshelves are a great deal!
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I ordered the bird picture finally, was waiting for a better sale, it's 35% off today, now just wait and see, in two days it will probably be 45% off again... oh well, I can't wait forever! they said ships in 3-5 days, so should have about the same time as the window panels come in.. so my next project is to get the shelf sanded , primed and painted ( and cut!) and hopefully UP on the wall before they come in.. that will make a huge difference. Found a carpet store that will cut and bind my rug for me, it's only $20 to cut and bind both, so I;ll have my rug and a 2 x 5 runner too.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Need help with my patios too, thought I'd work on that while I wait for items to come in for the kitchen,,, check out my patio, and share ideas, thanks!

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/10803179/thumbs/I-need-advice-and-ideas-for-my-Patio-situation
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Color. Your patio needs color. Coincidentally, I was at Target today (replacing my microwave which died suddenly; major crisis here) and saw chairs that looked exactly like those you have except in the most luscious colors: lime and turquoise and orange. They were really comfortable too. On sale for $25. I wanted them so badly...but I already have more patio chairs than I know what to do with.
    http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=Nicollet&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_Nicollet
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    groveraxle, I agree,please go to the new dilema and view the additional photos, I did just put down a colorful rug, and have some paint to use, what should I paint first? Chairs are new this year, before I decided to go colorful, so need to work with those, but got kiwi cushions for two black chairs too.
  • Jennifer Lock
    10 years ago
    check out the furniture on www.bryght.com, it's high end furniture without the markup
    10 years ago
    Hey Lynne, So how are things going with your projects ? Any new pics ?
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I got sidetracked with patio and yard with the weather, but just got shelves up this weekend, panels still need valance and hemming, but will take pic of what is so far..... later today and post.... items on shelves need additions and changes, just put what I had up there for now.... 60-80 hour work weeks, yard work and illness in family kind of derailed inside projects :)
    10 years ago
    Wow , you have a full plate ! Take care of your self !
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are some updated photos...
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I know the items are shelves are not right, need to get some other items, I have the valances to hem and hange on patio door to finish out over the doorway, and have the material to make chair cushions... just the time. is needed. I need to sew at my mothers, and sewing isn't something that I've done much so it takes more time, and then getting the time to set aside to go there for that project... my "summer chair cushions" might be done for NEXT summer LOL... maybe I should start with FALL WINTER ones now, I could have ready for Christmas :)
    I do still want to repaint the walls a more gray... not as blue...
  • sandybeaches247
    10 years ago
    Change table and add decor differ wall color
  • Lynne Forrestal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kevin, Yes the shelves make a huge difference in person... there is more weight at that side of room now too..
    I painted an old gold charger red, for behind the bird as you had suggested... ( charger and red that is ), other items just collected, I would love to have one or two really wow pieces there... I just don't have any idea of what that WOW looks like LOL.... Oh and the little lamp was your suggestion too... I found the white one at Goodwill and got the shade at IKEA ( my first time ever there on my MN trip) If you run across any items that seem to say, Lynne's shelves to you, please share them with me :)
  • geoellen
    10 years ago
    I haven't seen anyone mention the difference in the lighting colors.The tube lighting looks very yellow.I would want to be sure to include a yellow color somewhere .Have you considered track lighting instead of chandy.This allows passage through(area w/o ducking and table placement change.I thought the track curtain fm overstock was a great look,Ikea has softer looks at reasonable prices(panels).You might find table there too.
  • geoellen
    10 years ago
    LYNNE FORRESTAL No-one has brought up family photo of all the grandkids together.I love the look of all one color shirts for unification done in black and white,Take certain areas of the photo to add color(s) you like,It looks really kool when they are laying down facing up in different poses with the girls hair above them.You could have this done as a large poster so you needn't worry about the photo protruding out into the room where you might have the bench.You could even make it a cute photo with them sitting in different poses boys in suits & hats(kinda gangster-ish)and the girls really girly.Still b&white but color the hats,shirts,shoes....anything that you like.Great for the grandkids to feel a part of Grandmas update and even if some are tweens or teens everyone likes to dress p for fun.It would def. warm up the space and a way to bring everyone together for a family project.You could even put it between glass/plexi-glass to have a frameless look.I am new to this and wasn't able to attach anything but if you look at the different photography sites that are pinned you might find something you like.
  • miacometlady
    8 years ago
    Posted sept 2013
  • sheilaskb
    7 years ago

Your cabinets are beautiful, and I like the simple design. I also like the wall color, which appears to be light aqua on my computer. I believe white-painted crown molding around the entire room would give the space definition and the "wow" factor you want. I like the purple flowers and believe you should keep them. However, you might add a floral fabric print with yellow or yellow-gold flowers on a neutral background to warm up the space. You could use this fabric in a valance or curtains, table cloth or runner, chair pads, towels and quilted potholder, apron, or robe to make the breakfast hour a coordinated event.