Software
Houzz Logo Print
devin_desjarlais

Living room with limited lay-out options - please help!

10 years ago

Hey all! I have a living room with limited layout options and I'm hoping to find a solution that'll make the room feel inviting and stylish.


The biggest problem is that the front door opens into the living room so there's no foyer. I've looked at the Houzz article related to creating an entry-way but would still love more help. There's a big picture window on one wall and two smaller windows on the third. The wall with the front door also has a large archway leading directly into the dining room (which leads into the kitchen.)


I've attached a few pics and would love your advice. The couch, TV, and bookshelf aren't replaceable at this time. The ugly, tattered chair is just there for me to be able to imagine what an armchair might be like there. The room is about 17.5' length and 13' width. Please excuse the mess! I just finished painting the dining room this morning. Thanks so much!





Comments (16)

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks! Which side would you put the chaise part of the couch on? I can move it to the other side by rotating cushions.

  • 10 years ago

    This arrangement is sort of what I had in mind, only the two petite chairs will be up against your long wall.

    Gallery Loft · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Very helpful! thank you

  • 10 years ago

    Oh good that you can reverse the chaise. It would feel more open if you can put the chaise on the other side next to the wall. Then, you would float the chairs facing the wall instead. Either way would work so whichever feels most comfortable for you after you try them out.

  • 10 years ago
    Your rug looks beautiful, but it can't be seen! I'd suggest you start by: 1. Mount the tv on the wall. Make sure it's centered on that wall. Then the console below it need to be tidied up. 2. Center the rug, running the other way than how you have it now, so that the rug is up near the console. 3. Try the sofa floated as the previous poster suggested. Make sure it's also centered on the console/tv. 4. Place your cocktail table in front of the sofa, also centered on the console. Now step back and assess! How does it look/work? If that seems balanced, then you can tackle additional seating (not much room, but maybe a narrow table on the wall where the sofa is now and two poufs....). That chair is kind of cute and might paint/recover beautifully! It could be placed with its back to the dining area, facing in to the room. Use what you have and play with it. You'll need lighting, new window treatments, art, and accessories, but if you get the initial arrangement right you can slowly add what you need. I always advise friends to buy locally so they can try out and return. Good luck!
  • 10 years ago
    Whoops! I meant to say that the cute chair could go on the right of the console, angled in to the room. It's so cute! I could see it painted and reupholstered in a cute fabric that pulls the colors of the rug, and then a couple of pillows for the sofa that are also that fabric.
  • 10 years ago

    Oh..a small round coffee table would fit better and break up all of the angle(s) in the space.

  • 10 years ago
    Can the sofa face the tv?
  • 10 years ago
    Or tv go under lights ?
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Agree with Darcy and rotate sectional to face tv, move chaise to other side...next to wall. Mount tv. Much longer console is needed but what you have will work. What is really throwing me in the drapes. Once the sectional is rotated consider two panels for each window..beef them up a bit.


    Devin Desjarlais thanked HMH Development Inc
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for all the great advice guys! Blue Booby - do you have a console in mind that you can link me to? The drapes are definitely next to go. They were left by the sellers when we bought the house a few months ago. Do you have a suggestion for color? I've been using this as design inspiration but I'm open to other ideas.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Get a small, round glass coffee table so you can see your pretty rug. This one's too big, but you get the idea. Small round glass one with a second stackable one would give you flexibility.


    Studio Designs Home Camber 38" Round 2-Tier Metal Coffee Table in Pewter Gray · More Info

    Pull the curtain colors from the lightest colors in your rug. That will pull the eye from the rug to the windows and tie them together. A long, interesting mirror, thrift shopped, on the wall where the door opens would give some light in that corner.

    Please show some photos when you've rotated the sofa. Darzy's ideas are great!

  • 10 years ago

    Awesome, thanks housegal! I was actually planning on getting rid of the rug at some point. It's basically been destroyed by dog hair and dirt so I might go opposite and pick a color for the drapes and then find a rug that matches. Will definitely post photos once I rotate and get everything together a little more.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Your design inspiration looks good. Your tv should be roughly 2/3 of the size of your console. Therefore, if tv measures 60" in true width console should be 90" wide. The most economical and the best fabric for drapes would be to do them yourself. If not possible, great resources for something out of the box are Anthropologie, West Elm. Always check EBay for brand name...better prices. Sorry, I do not give specific items unless I have experience with them.

    Devin Desjarlais thanked HMH Development Inc
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks so much!