Software
Houzz Logo Print
roarahgw

(Almost) finished bath with a nautical nod. Cross post

10 years ago


I just finished a bath remodel in which I used some heirloom pieces along with curbside finds, college crates and ikea cabinetry.

My cabinetry was just installed this weekend so only a very high round window to sand and paint, wardrobe molding to add, and knobs left to do and who knows when I might get that done so I am ready to post my bath reveal. I could not have done this without GW bath and decorating forums help you helped throughout my design, technical issues and finishing touch decisions.

I have tiny closets in my 1920s home so opted for storage units over a tub.. The wardrobes in this room will actually house our most used clothing, yes we have great ventilation.

Here is my orginal mood board

Unfortunately, that floor was not rated for bathroom use so Dygardens recommended her flooring,seta silver and also suggested using white armoires to lighten the room and than I started moving towards a more beach feel, I can walk to the Long Island sound and my marina from home.

revised mood board

my great aunts dresser passed to me long ago to be used as vanity

This bath was an addition over my orginal sunroom here is the before view from my room during build from old window.

Here is the same view now

View from my shower, the wardrobe doors do not show true here but they are white stain with knots showing , a bit driftwood like IRL

here is a curbside find in process of my refinishing efforts.

After, again GW help me with its placement!

I will eventually have a built in bench but I found two childhood creates that fit perfectly and thanks to lisa and happy2be they gave me ideas to cover with terry cloth and ropes. The terry is actually a changing pad cover I already had, it has been cleaned :). The wall art is the tiller from my first boat handed down to me from my parents. Goodness I loved that boat!

Walk in shower with garden stump to place my rump...

Rain head

Closets space in wardrobes already looking messy after just a day, sigh.

A week after our addition started my DH was diagnosed with cancer, he is doing well at the moment! This GW community not only helped me with fun decorating stuff but the people on the conversation side spiritually keep me strong and sane and I feel so lucky to have stumbled upon this forum years ago. The people on GW are an important addition in my live.

Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Realized I did not show a picture of my unfinished round window

    better view of how white stain looks IRL

  • 10 years ago

    Exactly! what Olychick says! The place is fabulous. I love the nautical theme and its relevance in your own formative years. The place looks very functional too. The shower is lovely. The closet is such a nice idea, and doesn't look messy at all. Where did you get the closets? What type of floor did you go with? Is it a luxury vinyl tile? I can see why you loved the first tile, it is beautiful, The floor you picked is too.

    roarah thanked enduring
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thank you for the very kind words!

    Enduring, the floor is a 6x24 porcelain tile. Seta silver set in a herringbone pattern with very small grout lines. Here is a better picture of how it looks IRL., a bit driftwoodesque.

    the closets are pax wardrobes from ikea with Hemnes white stained doors. They hold so much! Here is my walk n closet with a shower and loo;)

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the info. What so you mean that the original floor you selected wasn't meant for bathroom floors, was it the COF rating? Both floors are beautiful. But that original selection!!! You are just going to have to put that some where else to enjoy! Is the first tile choice encaustic tile?

    roarah thanked enduring
  • 10 years ago

    What a stunning job you did. I love that round window and the built ins. My best to your husband for a speedy recovery.

    roarah thanked cpartist
  • 10 years ago

    Hi enduring it was not rated for wet areas due to absorption and COF ratings. I could have sealed for the first issue but we are both over 40 so COF is a big issue. I might add it to my vestibule in the near future though.


  • 10 years ago

    It is a beautiful tile that is for sure. Thanks for the info.

  • 10 years ago

    That is a gorgeous bathroom. I especially love the furniture vanity and that great round window! Well done.

    roarah thanked er1998
  • 10 years ago

    Very nice! What is the paint colour in the rooms?

    roarah thanked Mindy N
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Mindy,The color is greenwhich village by behr but I had BM mix it.

  • 10 years ago

    What a lovely bathroom. I really like your floor tile.

    roarah thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks roarah, it looks lovely!

    roarah thanked Mindy N
  • 8 years ago

    roarah, I was wondering who makes the robe/towel hooks you used to flank the shower entrance?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    What is that color on your walls? Beautiful selection.

    roarah thanked Designer Drains
  • 8 years ago

    Adawn, the hooks were cheap homedepot delta silverton in chrome. They have held up very well for the last year and a half. They are similar to the delta Cassidy or linden collection. I did have my GC add blocking during framiling for the hooks to be safe.

    Designer Drains the color is behr Greenwhich village. Thanks.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you!

  • 8 years ago

    Roarah, I love the concept - as you said, a walk-in closet with a shower and loo! It definitely has that vibe. My faves are the roadside find, Aunties's dresser as vanity, and beautiful shower. Did you put a special finish on the top of the dresser?

    I have to ask about the apparent lighting sconce in the shower. Am I seeing that correctly? Is it a reflection, or do you have a sconce in your shower? How are you managing that?

    roarah thanked Nancy in Mich
  • 8 years ago

    Nancy the light is a reflection not in the shower ;). I used many coats of marine grade varnish on the vanity top. It looks great almost two years later but we are pretty neat people. We wipe surfaces dry after use in all baths and kitchen counters.