Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Reviews on white Silgranit sink?

numbersjunkie
7 years ago

I know white would be the best color for my new kitchen, which will be very traditional and have white counters. But I'm terrified of staining. I've had a black Silgraint for 5+ years and love it, but white is just so......white. This will be in a vacation rental so we have to assume it will not be treated with respect. Should I just go with stainless? Can anyone here report on their experience with the Silgranit II?

Comments (26)

• oasisowner
    7 years ago

I have one.

Cons: Yes, it does stain easily - chocolate, wine, coffee, tea, aluminum baking pans, cast iron all leave marks.

Pros: Cleans up with Barkeepers Friend and a little elbow grease.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was afraid of that! I really think I will go with stainless. I could use the metallic gray but I think it would stand out too much from the white counter for a traditional kitchen. And I am using the IKEA Bodbyn gray cabinets, and its not a close match to that so I feel like it would be just too much variation.

Wondering if anyone can chime in on their experience with the Blanco stainless. Looking at the Blanco One which has a left side drain (that will be perfect for my setup) and more room on the right to push the faucet forward a bit. Its only 18 gauge though, not 16.

Also liking the Franke Regatta which is perfect for my prep sink - will fit in an 18 inch cabinet and still gives me 15.5" of internal sink width! Not sure the finishes will match but they are across the room so I don't think it will be very noticeable.

• oasisowner
    7 years ago

If you have hard water, stainless is horrible to keep clean - constant water spotting and calcium build-up, at least in our area.

• cat_mom
    7 years ago

We have hard water and a SS sink. It does clean up easily with BKF. Even just a soapy sponge will get it reasonably cleaned up. We tend to give the sink a quick, or more thorough cleaning after washing up stuff after cooking (whatever gets hand washed).

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have a sample of the white Silgranit and decided to dump some red wine and black coffee on it. Of course when I went back to check on it I found DH had wiped it clean - LOL. So I added more red wine.....and will wait once again to see how it fares.

Oasis owner said it comes clean with BKF; I wonder what M Millers neighbor used to try to clean hers?

• crcollins1_gw
    7 years ago

I have had a white low divide Silgranit sink for two years. Yes, it get dirty looking but I wouldn't even call it staining. Water and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser cleans it like new without even using any elbow grease or any other type of cleaner. I looooove my sink!!

numbersjunkie thanked crcollins1_gw
  • numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks CRcollins - I'm looking at your counter and it looks very similar to what I am planning!

This is a tough decision. My sample did not stain from the red wine. I'm thinking that grease in the sink holds stains, but if you remove the grease the stains should go away too. I know I have that issue with my Anthracite sink - the grease build up shows as a white film and I never could get it off with normal cleaners, but I discovered that Magic eraser takes it right away - and then I see the dirt on the sponge and its really gross!!

• crcollins1_gw
    7 years ago

Yes, grease sticks to this sink like... well, grease. I washed a spaghetti sauce pot this morning and it was all orange. Cleaning the sink grids is a chore but totally worth it. I love them, too!

Counter is Formica solid surface. Soft and smooth as a baby's bottom. :)

• practigal
    7 years ago

Silgranit is not that white...which upsets a lot of people. See it in person before proceeding. I love mine....

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, I do have a sample of the white and am trying hard to stain it. it goes very well with my counter which is Livingstone rock salt - solid surface.
    I really want to hear from anyone who has the silgranit white and stains that don't come off with magic eraser!
  • practigal
    7 years ago

So far the magic eraser has removed everything from mine. When I remember to use a microfiber cloth to clean out the sink every night ( less than a minute of cleaning this is nothing extensive) I don't need to use the magic eraser more than once a month.

• oasisowner
    7 years ago

I've never used a magic eraser on mine, just the BKF. I also don't use a sink grid.

• mnmom80
    6 years ago

Does the Blanco White have flecks in it or is it just plain white?

• stephlgilbert
    3 years ago

I’ve had my white sink one week and there is already a chip in it which is not covered in their warranty. Neither is scratching or staining. Don’t buy this sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I just broke my own rule and sold an Elkay Quartz Luxe apron front sink in Ricotta (bright white). The homeowner is over 50 and has no kids at home, so I'm hoping it'll be okay.

• leslie
    3 years ago

I just bought a blanco sink(silgranit ) in mocha. I have a whitish quartzite. I got the sink to match my cabinet color and it looks awesome. I think its a nice contrast than matching the countertop

• suzzagamemnon
    3 years ago

I've had my beige Blanco sink for 3 years. The function and design are great. The staining is HORRENDOUS! It looked like a sink in a kitchen remodel "Before" photo inside 3 months. I would NEVER buy another one. It's the only regret in an otherwise perfect kitchen remodel.

• dt516
    2 years ago

Any updates here from anyone how this sink has held up? Thinking about getting the white…also anyone have a garbage under a vintera model?

• crcollins1_gw
    2 years ago

Hi, you can see my comments above from 4 years ago. I lived in that house another two years after than and I'll admit I did become a little less enamored with it as time went on. It had 3 or 4 "chips" in it from dropping a knife here, plate there, etc. It did look dingy unless I cleaned it with more than a sponge and dish soap, which I did not do every day. The grids were cool for keeping stuff off the bottom but a PITA to clean, and they say not to put them in the dishwasher. I moved to a house with a heavy duty stainless steel sink (an Franke that I think is about 15-20 years old) and it's bulletproof. Yes, it has "patina" from years of use but cleans up with little effort.

Summary, I loved the Silgranite sink for a number of reasons but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get another one. I've had a porcelain over cast iron and stainless steel and I'd probably get another stainless as long as it's heavy gauge with good dampening.

• James Jones
    2 years ago

i had a white one until it cracked shortly after buying it. The white was stained within 6 months in a way that it could not be cleaned, and it chipped as well very easily. Dont buy this product. I think it "looks" much better than SS but unless you are cool with replacing it every couple of years (if you are lucky) stay away

• Torey
    2 years ago

I have a white one that I have had for 2 years. I absolutely hate it and am considering replacing it. It is incredibly high maintanence. To keep it looking white it has to be constantly cleaned, and not with just a "daily wipe down" which I do. Two years later it looks like an old sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

There is a huge difference in composite sink density and quality. Get the Blanco and Elkay Quartz Luxe samples and see for yourself. The Blanco is much more coarse and likely to trap stains. Unlike acrylic (Corian) sinks, these aren't easily refinishable.

• patnoc
    2 years ago

I agree with Torey. i’ve had my white silgranit sink for 4 years, and I regret buying it. It’s very discolored, especially around the drain, and it has several pits and scratches. I feel I shouldn’t have to worry about every piece of silverware or cooking implement that falls into the sink.. I have a sink protection grate, but it’s apparently not enough. Two friends that got this sink in darker colors have no complaints. Maybe just avoid the white?

• HU-804350543
    9 months ago

We have had our white Silgranit sink for just over a year and I would never recommend it to anyone. Not only does it stain easily, it also chips easily and the little chips are dark so they look terrible. We are really careful, but all it takes is to drop a fork accidently into the sink and another chip will appear. This is the worst sink ever.

• HU-574053487
    3 months ago

I have a Blanco white siligrant bowl and a half sink which was installed approximately six months ago. There are at least six chips in the sink and it always looks dirty. Blanco say I have misused the sink! which i have not, or that i have dropped knives into it, which i have not. I was told i could buy a repair kit to fix it! Blanco have now agreed to replace the sink with exactly the same sink, although I think the same thing will happen again. White is really the only colour which would go in our kitchen. Very disappointing.