Software
Houzz Logo Print
denisecrawford

I need help with my house's curb appeal

13 years ago
I'm gong to be replacing the asbestos around my house with Hardiplank and/or brick. If I have enough money I'd like to also add a decent sized front porch, or at least a front porch with more architectural features. My budget is around 45K. Any thoughts?

Comments (16)

  • 13 years ago
    The tree in front is very distracting, so I would remove the tree and update/freshen your garden and yard. Bright colors would be great. A deck would look great going towards the left of the door. The exterior of the physical house is adorable and doesn't need much if any updating. Good Luck :)
  • 13 years ago
    Hardiplank is a great idea - will last forever with minimal upkeep. Painting about every 6 years depending on color you use. If you extend portico you might want to think of using a pleated metal roof for an accent. Metal roofs come in different colors and designs. Consider a white trellis that runs horizontal across the right side of the front of house, instead of the ledge with planter.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with Amanda, the tree is not distracting and should not be removed. In fact the tree gives the much needed shade (solar heating control) and shows that the house is of some age which translates into "character". Trees are living beings and unless it is hurting the foundation should never be cut down, they provide much needed CO2 control. Instead you could have some professional pruning to shape the tree frame the house.

    What would help is to replace your windows with ones that do not have any grid or pattern, just plain glass. As well the blinds along with the grid of the windows show a very busy, confused pattern that looks cluttered. The upstairs windows have flower boxes with no flowers. If they aren't used then it would look cleaner to just remove them.

    It does look strange that three of the windows have fake shutters and one does not. Either all should be framed the same or not to give a more cohesive look. Consider that fake usually looks fake and does not help make the building appealing. I generally recommend removing all add-ons that are non functional.

    It's hard to tell from this picture what paving you have, but from what I see the steps look to need an upgrade.

    The front garden could do with some augmenting of the landscaping. Consider that creating levels of planting will make the front look more manicured, the heights and coloring are monotone. Add some variance of height and color.

    A more intersting style front door will help as well.

    I hope this helps, have fun with it!
  • 13 years ago
    Keep the tree!!! The tree is what gives this home atmosphere and romance. It's a beautiful tree. If someone wanted no tree, they would be shopping out in the moonscaped sprawl of new houses on the outskirts of town. Buyers who are looking in neighborhoods like this usually are seeking mature trees and plants, something with atmosphere an a little soul.
    I'd have a landscape architect come in to suggest minor cleaning up the yard, and maybe bricking the walks.
    Remove the vines climbing up the house or re-direct them across the top of the porch so they frame the front door, which should be enameled shiny black, or bright red. Definitely plant some red geraniums in the window boxes. Enamel the shutters black for contrast. Pull up the venetian blinds and make sure the windows are very clean.
    I can't tell if the yellow is in good shape or not, but if a power-wash is in order, do it. If you need new paint on the front, keep it a similar color or go a shade lighter. Basically it needs a little freshening up, but nothing major. It's a handsome house with some very pretty mature landscaping.
    Lastly, add an inconspicuous pond or birdbath with a small fountain. The sound of trickling water gives people a sense of calm and freshness.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, Rod. You would love my tree in the backyard. It's another Live Oak estimated to be approximately 125 years and gorgeous. It's massive branches float up and over the rooftop and past our bedroom windows. It's like living in a treehouse! The vine will come down when the siding is replaced. I just don't have the heart to cut it down yet, though I know it's rotting my wood as we speak. I just planted a lot of red leafed coleus that you can't see from the street, but will plant geraniums as well. That will look good with the red roof. The planters will be history; too much of a pain in the a-- to keep plants watered in them. I like the idea of the red brick. If I don't use it on the house, I can use it on the walkway!
  • 13 years ago
    And thanks, Katie! Compared to my neighbors, I swear my property is five degrees cooler than theirs because of my trees. I do need to get my guy out to raise the canopy of this one though; but for now I'll keep it low to hide my horrible yellow asbestos-sided house.
    My shutters are operable and cost a fortune back in the day! Regardless, I may not put them back up after the house gets resurfaced and go for a cleaner look. If I do put them back up I plan on keeping the colors tight so they disappear somewhat. I need to keep my Venetian blinds as well. They bring back fond memories of my Grandmother, and I need them to spy on my tree deprived neighbors.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I don't like shade....I like a house with a lot of natural light and like big trees out back. Cute house!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks! I can't tell you how much I love my house. It's a borderline tear down because it's in a fancy neighborhood in Houston. Because the lots are so small, all of the fabulous trees would have to be removed in order for a developer to build on it.. The inside is wonderful. If I can just get the outside of the house to look as good, I save the house......and the trees.
    Did I mention I live in Houston? Shade would become your best new buddy if you relocated here!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here are a couple of suggestions. Open up your walkway. Give some shape to your gardens. You could create a nice seating area, to add appeal and for your enjoyment, up to the left of the front door. Do NOT remove the tree up front. Its gorgeous and works well with your home. I agree with the water feature idea but would suggest a bubbling rock instead of a fountain. It looks more natural. Here are some picture ideas. For more ideas go to www.blushirt.com you can browse lots.
  • 12 years ago
    I would take the porch to the corner and extend it the front line of the house. make it a beautiful sitting porch. keep the tree, I'm in south florida and understand the value of a large tree to shade the house in the summer. also keep the shutters if your in a hurricane area. you have a great traditional home. Rod Handler has some great ideas, I like adding the shutters on the big lower window for symmetry.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Looks great to me .. If anything maybe a tall fountain on opposite side of tree or a fun rusted out metal sculpture. Something extreme and different
    Denise Crawford thanked D. Ryan Group -Construction Services
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    paint the house almost white and keep the tree. always keep a tree.
    Denise Crawford thanked Olen Holm
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If anything you could clear up a few branches of the tree with an arborist. the tree is beautiful and gives you an interplay of shades and filtered light the interior must benefit from. I agree a fountain would be elegant. If you like sitting in the front or you decide to try it out first, you could extend the look of the width of the house or seating area on a sweet corner of the house where you could read the paper with a nice cup of really good coffee in the morning. I'll bet the birds make it seem like heaven.
    Denise Crawford thanked joycealaina
  • 12 years ago
    Year old post.
    Denise Crawford thanked apple_pie_order
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks, guys. I love the idea of a white house. If I don't do the limed brick in front I may do several shades of white in front and a blast of color for the door and door surround. My roof is red, so maybe a light odd shade of green? red? I saw some like that in New Orleans, and they were beautiful! Contractor super busy so nothing will happen for the next six months at least. All your ideas have been very helpful getting me to think new thoughts. Thanks again.
Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio