maries1120

Benjamin Moore experts - White Down, Feather Down or other?

maries1120

I'm trying to find an off white paint for a bedroom. We used Behr Hazelnut Cream and it has a green undertone We've used it before and didn't have that happen before.

Looking for an off white - something not too bright white but not too beige. Creamy but I don't think too warm will work with the carpet and I don't want to go into grays.

Any experience with White Down or Feather Down? Maritime White looks like a possible one too. Any other off whites that I should look at?

Here is a photo of the carpet (not a great one but something)

Thanks

• sis2two

I've seen Feather Down and it is such a pretty color!

• tibbrix

Depends entirely on the light in the room. what is the light like in there?

How can I tone down this blue? Add more white?

Maloumalou, You have a beautiful kitchen there! Once you're done all the painting, why not post a new dilemma asking about the lights and the fan? You're sure to get lots of advice and opinions there! For now, just concentrate on that painting. And leelee is right - you're second-guessing yourself before the painting is finished. I have done it myself in years past, and have come to realize that what you see on those bare walls isn't much like the final look once everything is back in place. Keep painting, and don't worry!

Benjamin Moore Elmira White

Hi Cc. We don’t have any north facing windows, but Ballet White looks very neutral in the east facing room. And it looks neutral when the sun goes down. It does take on a yellowish hue in our south and west facing rooms during the high daylight, but that’s to be expected for a white/cream. I’ve read that whites take on their surroundings like green from landscaping. We don’t mind the changing hues, because for a majority of the time, it looks great. I think it’s all a balancing act, because all colors have their positives and negatives. What color are you leaning towards?

Which Benjamine Moore light gray paint for south facing apartment

I have revere pewter in a bedroom and grey owl in the entry. The revere pewter reads more taupe than grey. Both are beautiful. Get a pint of each and do a swatch and watch them over the course of the day -- they will change a lot!

Hate my kitchen wall color! What goes with "White Down" cabinets?

I would paint the walls the same color as the darker shade in your tile, which will help visually in making the room feel larger and flow but given how few walls you have, I don't think the paint color will have a large impact in your desire to make it feel homey. Accessories and the small details can make a huge impact and really warm up a space. You could add a simple roman blind (houndstooth is traditional but fun) and a more modern mat and a more impactful light fixture (and place on a dimmer). Where you have the sunflower, maybe use chalkboard paint or add a chalkboard. Not sure if the back of the glassed in cabinets are the same color as the doors, but going with a green that is in your counter would be really pretty as well. Your kitchen is already very nice but it could be dynamite...have fun!
  • maries1120

2 Windows. Faces south and west but not very bright with the overhang other than a short period of time when the sun comes in the one window. That's why I don't want to go too dark with the paint. The Hazelnut Cream is nice other than the green undertone. I've used it in a south and north facing room and haven't had that. The original owners had the room painted a light green but we have primer and 2 coats of paint so that isn't the issue.

• tibbrix

that is why you should go darker with the paint...OR use a warm white.

maries1120 thanked tibbrix
  • maries1120

Any color suggestions?

• Hockeymom84

maries1120 thanked Hockeymom84
  • Hockeymom84

It is very pretty :)

maries1120 thanked Hockeymom84
  • Hockeymom84

maries1120 thanked Hockeymom84
  • maries1120

Thanks, Hockeymom! Maritime White was another one I thought might work. I'm sure I don't have a sample of all their colors. I'll go into the store with my carpet and try to narrow this down more once I have some options. I'm having it painted early October as a surprise for my husband so I have time but it'll come up fast.

• misforminkGW

FWIW, according to Maria Killam, BM Feather Down is the lighter version of Manchester Tan. Light linen color.

What's best will depend on your lighting.

Here's a photo I have saved of BM Feather Down. I think it's very pretty and have plans to use it in the future.

Jackson2348

maries1120 thanked misforminkGW
  • maries1120

I haven't seen Elmira White but will take a look at it. Thanks.

• jimandanne_mi

We used Maritime White for our trim throughout the house. The original LR wall color to go with this was Bar Harbor Beige (red tones), but we will repaint the LR, breakfast room (faces NW), and kitchen (faces SE with 12' deep porch roof overhand) with Adobe Beige (yellow tones, and a tad lighter) to have the paint look better with our floor and rug, and will keep the Maritime White for the trim.

We have large windows facing SW and NW in the LR, and have tall oak trees surrounding the house, so for 5 months it's darker in the LR. However, with the leaves gone from the trees, the sun washed out the colors of lighter paint that I'd painted on 1' x 8' pieces of drywall.

Anne.

maries1120 thanked jimandanne_mi
  • tnfarmhouselove

I was just looking at BM whites while having some Classic Gray mixed and fell in love with the Ballet White color card. I am determined to use this soft off white somewhere in my next home - maybe a guest room.

On another note, I know you said you don't want to get into the grays, but I can recommend Classic Gray as a pretty, light warm neutral. Although it looks like a soft gray in my north facing closet it's more of an almost cream color in my south facing bathroom.

So strange how it looks like a completely different color in these side by side rooms! Unfortunately, I was hoping for the soft gray look for the bathroom, but it's still very pretty.

Here it is in the bathroom vs the closet. The ceiling color is White Dove, to give you an idea on the depth of color.

maries1120 thanked tnfarmhouselove
  • maries1120

Thanks. I have Ballet White on one of my strips and that does look nice too. Hopefully I can narrow the choices down to a few and get some sample cans to test out in the room. Lighting does make a difference. I painted 2 things Cotton Balls white and one is perfect and the other, that is in a shadow, you can really see the yellow undertone. So I thought I was done painting but will need to re-do the other one with a brighter white (Simply White probably).

• tnfarmhouselove

I was thinking of just painting the bathroom Simply White as a safer choice but the trim is a slightly darker White Dove and I didn't want to go lighter than that on the walls.

I actually love gray and ivory together, and the vanity is a warmer weathered oak, so I'm hoping it will all come together as planned when it's done. I definite want a warmer, rather than cold, look overall for this space, so I'm glad I didn't end up with a cooler gray, -especially since DH is so done with painting :)

maries1120 thanked tnfarmhouselove
  • maries1120

Sheen makes a difference too. You could use the trim color in a flater finish or double the trim color formula along with the flater finish. We had stained trim so I want more contrast with that versus going with a bit darker like a Manchester Tan. The room usually feels dark even with light paint.

• maries1120

Lily'smom - that is funny. I can imagine my DH saying the same thing.

• ekaterine

Hello maries1120, did you ever choose your paint color? I have used Feather Down and it is a lovely pale, well-balanced neutral. It is definitely not grey, it leans more beige, but because it has a good balance of undertones, it doesn't come out as pink-beige or boring beige. It is soft, light, neutral and pretty. I have it paired with Cloud White trim because I already had it, and didn't want to repaint my trim, and it's very nice. I would probably have preferred the brighter choice of Simply White or Cotton Balls trim for more contrast if I could have. Ballet White is even lighter and definitely leans more grey in certain lights. Feather Down is never grey and has more color depth than Ballet White. I considered Ballet White too, but I am happy with my final choice of Feather Down. I don't take good photos alas ! Hope you like what you chose.

maries1120 thanked ekaterine
  • maries1120

I have tried many but haven't found a B Moore one that works yet. Need to admit I haven't tried White Down or Feather Down yet. I have a pile of sample cans and paint boards and just 2 weeks to decide. What did work so far is Behr Swiss Coffee. I didn't want that light so had it mixed with double the formula. That turned out well and the paint person at BM can mix it up for us. It sounds like Feather Down might be worth a try. I'd rather find a BM color and something that didn't need to be adjusted.

• ekaterine

Behr Swiss Coffee sounds nice. I've read very good things about it. Ben Moore has a Swiss Coffee that people love because it doesn't have yellow undertones but yet it's not a cold color. It is an off white though and it's a very light color. I would love to use it somewhere in my house.....

maries1120 thanked ekaterine
  • maries1120

I think the Behr Swiss Coffee is a little warmer than the BM one. The undertone in the Behr Swiss Coffee is very subtle.

I don't want white or beige - more of a soft white creamy color. All that I've tested either have a too orange, yellow, or pink undertone. Or look too gray. We have Behr Swiss Coffee in other areas and in a large area it doesn't appear that white. When I put some on the wall (the sample boards weren't enough), it seemed too white for what I would like. If we did the whole room, it might not appear that white. It is a softer color. I thought BM Simply White was very bright. Doubling the formula, it is still a little lighter than what we have now but not much. At least I am not seeing the green undertone. It doesn't have a lot of color added so doubling it just seemed to soften it a bit more. It does seem close to White Down but I need to get it to see what undertones come out.

• maries1120

Too bad I can't change the title of this thread since those paint colors are so far in the past. The quest for the bedroom paint color continues after the new paint color didn't work and about 30 sample colors. I am not too surprised I had the same "green" issue with the new color - double Swiss coffee. It looked ok the one place I tried it on the wall but I did see green when I moved my painted board around. I should have trusted that.

The person at the B Moore has been great. Right now we are looking at 2 options. One is Muslin at 75%. Full strength it had a little bit of a khaki look in the room. The other is a 50-50 mix of Ionic Column and Brandy Cream with a drop of yellow added to warm it up. I have to look at these at different times of the day to see if either of these will work.

Any other ideas?

• ekaterine

Maries1120, please don't misinterpret my comments because I've been where you are and I understand the long search. If Cotton Balls is too yellow and Simply White is too bright, then in my humble opinion, perhaps white isn't what you really want? Don't most whites have a bit of yellow in them? And it's not surprising to me that you sometimes see a hint of yellow with Cotton Balls in certain lights. I chose Cotton Balls just last week Over Simply White because, like you, simply white was too white or too bright, and I must say I adore the cotton balls. I see no yellow at all. It is a really lovely shade of white and could be used with a warm or cool color. It's gorgeous. It's bright, yet not stark. It's white, yet not cream. (Cloud White is the white that is closest to a cream as I understand it.) Cotton Balls is white and I am so happy with it, the ONLY place I see a touch of yellow in Cotton Balls is in my walkout basement which is painted Niveous, a creamy yellow or yellowish cream, and gorgeous. In this situation, the Cotton Balls flat paint reads ever so slightly yellow on the basement ceiling because (1) it's a basement and the light isn't as strong and (2) it's paired with Niveous which is a cream/pale yellow color . This combination however brightens up the basement superbly. The Cotton Balls trim in the basement doesn't look yellow at all, it looks very white. Also, ask yourself why you don't want to see a hint of yellow or green. They are beautiful colors and you wouldn't want to see an overly warm pink tone or an overly cool blue tone, right?! Since Simply White is too bright, what's left? One of those four tones should fit nicely with your fixed elements, such as your carpet I would think.

I hope this is not confusing you. I'm just giving you my two cents because I searched for whites and off whites for a long time and sampled more Benjamin Moore colors than I care to admit ! Good luck. You will eventually find what you want I am sure. It sounds like you are heading towards a very pale beige/cream and those are lovely neutrals. Oh and obviously, I'm NOT a designer, merely a consumer who loves BM paint colors and has sampled many.

maries1120 thanked ekaterine
  • maries1120

Ekaterine- you are right I am looking for a nice neutral not too dark - and too light doesn't work. Cotton balls and simply white were paints in another room. I was only talking about those because of how light was impacting these. For the bedroom I don't want anything that bright. I did like Brandy Cream straight for the depth but the color is just a little off. If it was a little less pink it might be perfect. That began my mixing of colors. I hope to find the one soon. I think the challenge is finding one that goes with the carpet and wood furniture and trim (medium oak).

• ekaterine

Maries1120: I get it. Sorry I misunderstood you. Yes, Brandy Cream is a bit pink. Have you looked at Cream Fleece?

maries1120 thanked ekaterine
  • maries1120

I did look at Cream Fleece. That looked too yellow. I think the undertone needs to be very subtle. I've ruled out so many I have to be getting closer. I haven't tried Natural Linen or Tapestry Beige. I don't know if Carlisle Cream is similar but less pink.

• jimandanne_mi

I have Carlisle Cream in several places. It's a wonderful soft color on the 2nd floor and in the lower level. However, on the first floor mudroom walls, where it gets strong afternoon sunlight, it definitely looks pink to the extent that we will repaint that wall.

I, also, have painted many dozens of samples looking for the "perfect" color in several 1st floor rooms, and Cream Fleece was too yellow for me.

I've decided I'd rather lean slightly to the yellow than the pink, and also have decided on a darker paint. Looks like Adobe Beige will be it. It's a little too yellow in one place next to our greenish slate fireplace tile, but has enough umph to make the rugs and drapes look great.

Anne

• maries1120

I am going darker than my original thought since that seems to be the only way to get rid of the green cast I keep seeing in the room. So far what they have listed as creamy/beigey neutrals that I have tried still seem to have more of a pink, peach, yellow, or khaki tome than I want. I am determined to find that perfect color though! I think Brandy Cream is close so at least I am maybe not quite as all over the place as I was before.

• ekaterine
    I

Maries1120: your journey sounds an awful lot like mine. I set out to find the perfect neutral off white and it seemed like I couldn't find one. I did see photos and a color deck of Farrow and Ball Clunch and loved the look of that. Very, very creamy and neutral with no obvious undertones. However, I didn't want to use Farrow and Ball, there is none where I live for starters and it's crazy expensive. I thought I found a color like it, it was BM Creamy White OC-7. One design blogger described it as having no strange undertones so I bought a sample. I didn't love it on the poster board however. Perhaps precisely because it has no undertones, it looked blah to me and I just didn't love it. I ended up accepting undertones and used Feather Down and I adore it.it does have undertones but to me they are well balanced so no particular undertone shouts out at me. Have you had a look at this Creamy White ? It's not really white like the name says, it's off white. I thought of sampling Linen White, it looks lovely.
    Tapestry Beige is definitely darker and has slight green undertones. It's very neutral though and a pretty color, but too dark for me.
    maries1120 thanked ekaterine
  • maries1120

I did try Creamy White and it was on my No pile but can't remember the issue with that one. I'm sure I held up the small color chip of Feather Down but will check it out again. It might be that it was too light and picking up the green cast. I'll take a look at Linen White. Thanks for the info on Tapestry Beige having that green undertone. I tried Muskoka Trail and that seems too light so thought the next one up (Tapestry Beige) might work but knowing the green undertone is there I might just save the money and not even try it. A lot of the design bloggers also seem to love Navajo White and that looked really peachy.

I talked to the person I have been working with and she is going to try cutting the red in the Brandy Cream and we'll see how that turns out. I like the depth of that - not too light or too dark.

• dmussori

I would choose my bedding before choosing a paint color.

• maries1120

We already have bedding and drapes. We think we have a color for the 4th try. As much as I love off white and creamy colors, I am admitting defeat in this room. It seems like we need to go darker to avoid weird color changes from lighting. So now we are fairly sure the new color is Benjamin Moore Truffle (AF130 I think). The painter had surgery so it'll be August or September. This has to be it. DH isn't having it painted a 5th time. Darker than I am used to so I'm a bit nervous about this.

• maries1120

Thank you. I wish I had a color! I've gone back and forth on the depth. With lighter colors, I continued to run into a problem with the green issue although found many I liked when the green didn't show itself. I'm back to more mid-tone - most likely Bar Harbor Beige, Sierra Hills, or Bradstreet Beige either original formula or minus 25%. The painter is set for 11/15 so I need to decide. I was painting on boards but am at the point I need to put it on the wall to be sure there is no green. This is my last chance. I feel like looking at paint has been a 2nd job. I won't know what to do with all the free time.

• maries1120

My post above was a response to a post but now the post is gone so it probably sounds really silly. Maybe all the sample paint fumes are getting to me. Yikes.

• divecaribbean

Agh that's my fault, sorry I was trying to see if I could delete my personal pics and my whole post was deleted!

• maries1120

Thanks. Good to know I'm not hallucinating. :)

• hannahjmack

Did you ever try a paint sample of Featherdown? It's such a pretty, soft neutral with no undertones..Just curious as you were talking about it but it didn't look like you ever tried it and I think it would be worth a shot given all you have tried! Just my opinion:)

maries1120 thanked hannahjmack
  • maries1120

hannahjmack - funny you ask? I have not tried Featherdown but room painted the 4th time with Bar Harbor Beige and I am not thrilled. Not the look I was going for and don't like it with the carpet or drapes but I am giving it time and trying to get used to it. So if I get a chance to paint again, I was looking at Featherdown again because it does have a grayer look to it which I think will look better wit the carpet and drapes. Thanks for the comment that helps reinforce that this could be the better direction.

• hannahjmack

I know how hard it is to find just the right color! We are doing a major kitchen reno and I originally had Manchester Tan which i love but thought it was a little dark so I tried Featherdown as it's the lighter version of Manchester Tan and its great! The undertones can be so tough to deal with but with this one, I felt it to be just a soft, light beige with no crazy undertones... Of course I'm no expert but just my observations! Best of luck with feeling great about your room, whether with your current color or a new one! Luckily paint is relatively easy to change

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    I have used Navaho White in a room that has west and north exposure. I can’t wait to change it. Yellow undertones very strong
  • laddie903
    last year
    last modified: last year

Maries1120 - Did you decide on a paint color that worked for you? I wondered if you decided to try the BM Feather Down that was mentioned. I'm also looking for a lighter off white/maybe light beige paint color for my north facing living room.

• Dinelle Wolfe

I have been on the ride of my life with paint colors. I finally settled on feather down for my great room , foyer and loft. I was afraid off a yellow undertone. My furnishings are a lot of creams , whites and blue in a French country theme. I first choose dune white. I wound up using the dune white in smaller spaces in my laundry room and powder room. This white bis perfect for the small darker areas in my home .When I tried dune white in the foyer I knew it was nagging at me as not quite right. It felt wrong. It was a very pure off white color with no yellow undertones. But yet it looked cool and not good on my vast high ceiling areas. I tried feather down in my master bathroom at first I was certain too much yellow. I lived with it for a week. Discovered feather down was a beautiful color . Not too yellow . The yellow undertone seemed to disappear. It has a hint of elegance that I was looking for. Dune white is great for less color and a purer off white color with a hint of slight beige. Feather down is the answer for the warmth I wanted. Try a sample. I certainly had my share of sample , 16 sample cans fill my house !!Ultimately , every house responds differently to each color. I’m finally not agonising and found my sweet spot of color for every room. Good luck !! It is daunting !!

• susanlynn2012

Dinelle, any pictures? I am considering BM Feather Down and a few other neutral colors for my Master Bedroom.

• H D

Bumping this up.