Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunrisenat

Our finished home

Natalie A
7 years ago

Gardenweb was indispensable to me while building our dream home 2.5 years ago. Sadly, we relocated to another state & sold out home this summer. But as a result, I have beautiful photos from the real estate photographer. We will miss our home but have another home under construction in the Chicago area. What I learned from Gardenweb helped us build & decorate our first home & I feel like this next build will be smooth sailing. Though it literally took close to the 2.5 years to get the home completely finished with the decorating (only to put it on the market), it truly was a wonderful learning experience for me. I am a social worker so flipping my brain around to be designer was a fun challenge -- Pinterest was my lifeline! I didn't get it perfect but it was a comfortable home for us & we will have learned from a few mistakes to make our next home even better.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your time, care, & commiseration!

Comments (97)

• pwilliams25
    7 years ago

So beautiful. Every room looks so perfect. Gardenweb is the best! Good luck on your new build.

Natalie A thanked pwilliams25
  • Claire Buoyant
    7 years ago

Ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh, just fantastic! You might consider a career change

Natalie A thanked Claire Buoyant
  • Magnolia
    7 years ago
    Your home is beautiful! Can you please share who on Etsy made your console table?
    Natalie A thanked Magnolia
  • Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Jean Thank you! I am sorry, but they are out of business (or I would have them make me another one). I know at the time they sourced the legs from Canada for the table.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

I can't wait to see what the next house will look like (please share). We are a mix of all different tastes here and yet we all love everything you have done.

Natalie A thanked just_terrilynn
  • Claire Buoyant
    7 years ago

Tell us about the charmimg door with the shingle surround and the flower boxes on each side. I am trying to put that into context.

Natalie A thanked Claire Buoyant
  • nutsaboutplants
    7 years ago

Just beautiful! I'm sure the new owners are thankful for your good taste and judgment.

Natalie A thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@clairebuoyant1 (great name BTW). I mentioned it above. It was an under stairs cubby house I built for my kids. If you look at the family room, that doorway to the right led to a door around the corner. If you opened that door, straight ahead, you had a sizable amount of storage. That is where we kept all of our Christmas decorations. There was also a space off to the side about 6' x about 3.5' wide. I think the height was 5'. That was the part that was under the stairs. I built that facade so it looked like it's own little house. We had our architect & his wife over for dinner after the house was complete. As we were finishing dinner, he said, "I have to admit, my favorite part of the house is the cubby house." We thought that was so funny coming from him, especially when he put all the effort into the nuts, bolts, & functionality of the house. Let me see if I can find the inspiration photo from Pinterest.

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This was my original inspiration:

• Houseofsticks
    7 years ago

In awe! Thank you for sharing!

Natalie A thanked Houseofsticks
  • gardener123
    7 years ago

Great job, great attitude, great new house! Thanks so much for posting, just love it! Can't wait to see the next round!

Natalie A thanked gardener123
  • westsider40
    7 years ago

You are fabulous and created a beautiful home. Perfect in every way. Thanks for posting here. It defies cubby holing into a style. It's just plain beautiful. I'm also a Chicagoan, but suburban. New house looks Glenview, ha.

Natalie A thanked westsider40
  • Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all again for your kind words!

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

I keep coming back to this thread and looking at the photos but don't post a comment because I can't really find the words.

But I think these four sum up my thoughts well: I am in awe.

Natalie A thanked IdaClaire
  • Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Awe, thank you so much for your kindness, @IdaClaire.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I'm flummoxed. I have never seen a bit of this on GW before?

Thanks for posting in any event. It's so very pretty and has some unique touches. One detail I particularly like is the grid-like sizing of the bookcase in the LR. It's an interesting detail. Ditto the LR sink legs. Love that.

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@MtnRdRedux Thank you! A little backstory -- I had to argue with the trim carpenter about those bookcases. He told me I was making a huge mistake by making the shelving fixed. I knew the size I wanted & didn't want all the holes on the sides for adjustable shelving. He then proceeded to tell me a story about a client who asked for fixed shelves but later was upset with him because she could not fit her stereo in the shelving. I'm like, "We're good, no big stereos going into these shelves."

Here are the inspiration photos I gave to the trim carpenter (for the bookcases) & my cabinet maker (for the laundry).

In my specs with the builder, I attached a myriad of photos or sketches of exactly what I wanted so there was no room for error or discrepancy.

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks @kiko! The photographer that did my photos & I have talked about starting a business when I return to Florida. I literally met her the day of the photoshoot & we have clicked so much. That is a few years off, though. I think it would be fun to develop a little neighborhood on a cul-du-sac. We both dream kind of big! It is tough because I am truly a social worker at heart & literally have NO business sense whatsoever. I think that part would be so overwhelming.

The long pillow in the front was from Etsy. The tan quilt was a total clearance steal from The Company Store & the grey quilt & shams were purchased at Target (maybe 8 years ago?).

I am working on the source list & hope to have that up soon. Is it best to start a new thread with that & source under each individual photo?

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I agree, I detest those holes in the side to allow shelves to adjust. I made mine fixed in my custom kitchen cabinets for the same reason.

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@MtnRdRedux I did the same in the kitchen. The cabinet maker said, "Are you SURE?!?" Yep, Sir! No regrets!

• mistermrmrs
    7 years ago

Gorgeous!

So many beautiful elements, but I think I'm most smitten with the fabulous oversized host chairs with that gorgeous peacock fabric and believe it or not...love the brass rods in the first bedroom pic posted.

I recently found these, at a very good price and I'm going to replace my 4 black lamp post rods, in my lounge, with these. Beautifully modern, updated look. I also found gorgeous walnut toned rods with brushed nickel finials, same good price, that are going to find a place in my livingroom.

Lastly, the most prominent element running throughout your beautiful space is.....symmetry! So well done!

And to think how often, and by how many, this is derisively called "matchy matchy" and to be avoided at all costs!

Nope.

Stunning! Gorgeous, fabulous and beautiful.

It is all those things and very, very pretty!

Natalie A thanked mistermrmrs
  • Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you @mistermrmrs for your kind words! Though the architect & builder tried to sway me at times from symmetry, I stood my ground!

I am working on the source list -- lots of orders to sift through, but it is a good exercise, as I want to use a lot of the same light fixtures again.

You will have to share your brass rod source & the walnut. Walnut would be gorgeous!

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's one more photo I came across. The powder bath was difficult to photograph. I used herringbone marble tile from Floor & Decor for the flooring (similar to this photo below). My mom & I wallpapered it using a bargain wallpaper find from Serena & Lily at $14/a roll! It was such a pretty powder bath. That middle mirror is a medicine cabinet & we kept things like Bandaids, sunscreen, Tylenol, etc for easy access in a central spot.

• Magnolia
    7 years ago
    Would you please share details about your kitchen, including the source for your stools and the type and color of your perimeter counters? Thank you!
    Natalie A thanked Magnolia
  • lkplatow
    7 years ago

Everything is just stunning. The fact that you pulled that off yourselves -- obviously with little kids in the house -- has me beyond amazed. I spent most of my kids "little-years" feeling accomplished if I managed to shower, clean something and put dinner on the table on the same day. Wow! Can't wait to see your next house!

Natalie A thanked lkplatow
  • Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@jean The island stools were a Home Goods find (but that would have been late 2013 so not sure you could find them there now). The perimeter kitchen counter is White Macaubus Quartzite. Let me see if I can find a pic of my slab from the stone place. It was really pretty & had beautiful veining. Zero maintenance.

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@lkplatow Awe, thank you so much! By the time we were in the planning stage, both kids were in school so it was much easier to manage. I did watch my infant niece for 6 months literally one month after moving in. All decorating pretty came to a halt during that period because I was so busy with her. I was able to pick up where I left off when her daycare spot opened up. There is no way I could have accomplished all of this with babies or toddlers. So please don't feel like you got nothing done when your babies were small! The work you did at home was exactly what it needed to be. ❤️

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@jean This was my slab for the perimeter countertop

• Laurie Gordon
    7 years ago

My heart would have broken to have put so much of me into such a stunning home; then have to leave it. I hope you find joy in your next home.

• michoumonster
    7 years ago

wow! stunning home! I can't wait to see your new home! I love your style, so fresh and colorful, yet still comforting.

can you tell me about your window coverings? I love the linen draperies and also your rods.

thank you!

• Magnolia
    7 years ago

Thank you for your reply about the stools and countertops. Your quartzite is beautiful - as I expected!

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@michoumonster Thank you!

The fabric from the office (I think the linen-looking drapery you refer to) was from the local Calico Corners outlet. I did not write down the name. It was polyester & kind of had a gold tone to it. I sewed them using this tutorial:

http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/06/tutorial-how-to-sew-lined-back-tab-curtains-drapes-curtain-panels-whatever/

The fabric for the master bedroom was from Joann's. http://www.joann.com/home-decor-solid-fabric--better-homes-gardens-birkly-silver/13144258.html#q=Better%2Bhomes%2Band%2Bgardens%2Bbirkly&start=1

I used the same tutorial to sew those curtains.

I also sewed the curtains in the kids' rooms.

The rest of the house had blinds or modern roller shades from Selectblinds.com, which saved us $15k versus the local All About Blinds. Hub & I installed them all (much to his dismay) but it was done in about a day & defintely worth that huge savings.

Rods for the master bedroom & office were from West Elm. http://www.westelm.com/m/products/oversized-metal-rod-b885/?pkey=cwindow-hardware&isx=0.0.1213

• michoumonster
    7 years ago

oh wow, sunrisenat! you are so talented!! though i was hoping for links to purchase, lol. but thank you. i might have to sew also since my windows are extra wide, so thank you for the tutorial!!

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@michoumonster Lol! You give me way too much credit! It was the cheapskate in me more than anything & I took it on as a challenge. We had extra wide windows, too. As you know, those drapes are so expensive (as is drapery, in general). The drapes took a considerable amount of time to complete but I am glad I took on the task.

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

There are a couple of great sales going on for items I used on my house. The big foyer art is half off starting tomorrow through mid-December:

http://www.shopblackcrow.com/collections/watercolor-canvas-prints/products/the-original-watercolor-giclee-print-on-canvas

I'm ordering the same island pendants for our new house. Though not inexpensive, this is the best price I have seen them & was $50 less per pendant than I paid a few years ago. Free shipping code is HOLIDAY:

http://www.horchow.com/Regina-Andrew-Design-Square-4-Light-Glass-Lantern-Regina-andrews-pendant/cprod88370014___/p.prod?icid=&searchType=MAIN&rte=%252Fsearch.jsp%253FN%253D0%2526Ntt%253DRegina%252520andrews%252520pendant&eItemId=cprod88370014&cmCat=search

The host chairs in the dining area are on sale, too. But they are still SO expensive.

http://www.horchow.com/Pheasant-Host-Chair-Black-Friday-Sale/cprod75870034_cat17790733__/p.prod?icid=hpmain1_blackfridaysale&searchType=EndecaDrivenCat&rte=%252Fcategory.jsp%253FitemId%253Dcat17790733%2526pageSize%253D120%2526Nao%253D0%2526refinements%253D&eItemId=cprod75870034&cmCat=product

I'll add to this as I see other items on sale.

• Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

So nice of you to share sunrisenat! I am tempted by some of those canvases at blackcrow! Do you mind me asking how much it was to get them stretched? I wonder how on earth I would get them home :) the one I like is 112 inches I think. I have a very long wall that needs something.

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

Amazing that you could flip your head around, you have a great deal of talent and determination and, boy, did it pay off. This is one very beautiful home that feels unique and comfortable and user friendly all at the same time. It's an amazing accomplishment. This may be your true calling. Go and multiply lol.

• practigal
    7 years ago

Amazing beauty and amazing money...

What kind if covering is over the pool area? Thanks.

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks @practigal. It is a half mansard screened pool enclosure.

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks @yayagal! You made me smile!

• mhf310
    7 years ago
    I have same question as pp- the one canvas is 42 x 90. Did you cut yours down or was it ~7feet long when all said and done?
  • Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I did the full length & did not cut it down. I originally saw it a few years ago & this designer cut it in half.

http://www.parlourhomeblog.com/2013/09/client-den.html?m=1

• Laurie Gordon
    7 years ago

Loved drooling over such a well thought out home. I look forward to seeing what you achieve with house number 2.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Design may not be your full time job but it should be. And the fact you sourced so much from more reasonable sources. It all looks like you spent $$$$ on all the elements of the house.

• PRO
    Douglas Page Photography
    7 years ago

Really beautiful home - wonderful job by you and nice job by the RE photographer. My only issue is the 2 piece art over the mantle - which seems really cramped into the space. JMHO

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@douglas page photographic art Thank you! Though you might want to refrain from looking at house #2, then. The same art will be there with a similar size fire place. :-)

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@laurie Gordon Thank you!

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@cpartist Thank you! Maybe in my next life!

• Jo Jo
    7 years ago

Hi Natalie!

I keep coming back to your gorgeous house. Do you recall where either (or both!) of your world map/United States prints are from? I'm looking for something similar in my kid's room.

Also, have you started posting about your new build yet?

thanks!

• Natalie A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Jo Jo Awe, thank you!

The playroom wallpaper map came from Swift Maps. Here is the info:

https://www.swiftmaps.com

Swiftmaps and Graphics Items
    1 76x110 World Classic Wall Mural (Wallpaper) @ $103.96 = $103.96

Sub-Total: $103.96

The USA map is actually an Urban Outfitters tapestry. It was on clearance for $20 a few years ago. I bought it not knowing where it would go at the time. My son LOVES it.

I don't have a ton of time so I have the new build on IG. My username is natalienoelle4 (but it also has my crazy, fun life mixed in, too). :-) It's normally set to private but I'll open it for a day or so if you want to have a look. We're still in the drywall stage so not too much excitement at the moment. And I'm in France this week. ❤️