Software
Houzz Logo Print
amy_deangelis3347762

Is this crazy? Living room inspiration

10 years ago

We are renovating a fixer upper. The new floor stain is mocha (long story).

Currently the room is empty and painted SW Escape Gray.

BUT I fell in love with this paint color ... is it too dark? Too dramatic for my Colonial on the NE coast?

We just purchased a light grey sectional, it has rolled arms and is neutral. I don't have anything else for this room yet.

Comments (26)

  • 10 years ago


    House on the Flat · More Info


    Here's the inspiration pic. MY husband thinks I'm crazy. What say ye?

  • 10 years ago

    The floors are lovely. They are not too dark at all. However the stain is a bit warm (yellow/orange tones) vs the cool tones of your inspiration picture. The floor looks great with your gray walls (which has a green (warm) undertone.

    Amyzing thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • 10 years ago

    Barbara, I'm sorry. That's not the current color. That was when the work first began. I'd take a pic but there's no lighting in there now. It's definitely a dark mocha stain.

  • 10 years ago
    I think you could do this. your inspiration pic has dark floors with a very large pale rug and light grey sofa. paint the walls, find the carpet and drapes and go from there.
    Amyzing thanked RubyRoses
  • 10 years ago
    I would paint the red brick hearth though.
    Amyzing thanked RubyRoses
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    RubyRoses, we are refurbing the fireplace in black paint or black granite. I want marble but the husband is not yielding.

  • 10 years ago

    Margo, currently I have Nada to put in there except a sectional in light gray. I'm just obsessed with the color on the walls in the inspirational pic. I think the rest will follow if I can be sure the color is right.

  • 10 years ago

    OK- that is a start. Paint the walls and go from there;) It is only paint. At first it may shock you but give it some time to adjust.

    Amyzing thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    Do it. I think it will lool awesome. As long as you get lots of good light on the room. Test the color tho to make sure ot looks the same om your walls
  • 10 years ago
    if you actually use a fireplace the black granite or paint will be more practical then the marble. if for you a fireplace is decorative the marble could be very lovely.
  • 10 years ago

    What is the paint color? What you see in the inspiration due to lighting etc will look different in real life. I live in a NE coastal town and my DR is painted BM Abyss. I don't see a black FP in with the inspiration paint color, too dismal IMO. I would start with a rug before I choose paint & upholstery

  • 10 years ago
    Are you sure you want all that darkness? Dark floors, dark gray walls, black fireplace. The only thing light is your sofa, and even that is gray which is a dreary color. It will be a very moody place.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Another thing: your inspiration photo shows a much larger room with ceilings that are several feet higher (looks like 4-5') than yours and taller windows. That's going to affect how much light and sense of spaciousness the room will get, and I think you would get a look that's more cozy (or moody as bailey pointed out), if that's what you're looking for. I'm not saying don't do it, it's just not going to look like your inspiration photo without raising your ceiling. Mirrors, crystal and metallics work well with slate or charcoal grays, you see a lot of silvers and gold in the photo.

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/what-goes-with-dark-walls-stsetivw-vs~34693189

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/9-ways-to-use-rich-dark-paint-stsetivw-vs~1250256

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/color-guide-how-to-work-with-charcoal-gray-stsetivw-vs~2530680

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Floors look great and the color is not too dark. However, take into account that your room is not filled with light (which is needed if you want to use dark colors on the walls), therefore the color might seem a bit too dark for this particular room. However, if you want to keep the current color, consider going for all-white room furniture.

    I attached a suggestion that I think would work with both the light and the floors.

    1000 Seward Ave, Westfield · More Info

    From my perspective, the room in your inspiration pic is way taller than what you have at home, so you have to be careful with choosing the right colors to give the impression of space and to visually heighten the room.

    My suggestion would be to try a darker color on the floor and a lighter color on the walls, or simply paint a wall in the dark color you want (plus light colored furniture for contrast) and leave the other walls in a lighter color.


    Here is an example of dark floors vs light colored walls:

    316 St Georges Westfield · More Info

    And an example of a room with a wall painted in a different color:

    1000 Seward Ave, Westfield · More Info

    Not the same style you are after, agreed, but maybe it inspires you nonetheless.


    I hope this helps. Gialluisi.

  • 10 years ago

    This is what our floor currently looks like. It should be completed by Saturday.

    I agree lighting and height is a concern, although the room has plenty of natural light.


    Thank you for your suggestions. Your floors look wonderful.

  • 10 years ago
    This is funny- we just went from this color and ugly molding to...
  • 10 years ago
    To.... Escape Grey!

    I think your paint color is really pretty and you will have to have pops of white or light to make it look good. I find that when I normally paint dark colors that I am over it in about 2 years and re-paint. But, if you like it, go for it
    Amyzing thanked rafosne
  • 10 years ago
    To Escape Grey...
  • 10 years ago

    Rafosne, that's so cool! Can you show me more pics of your living room?

  • 10 years ago

    I like the paint color in your inspiration pic and it will really pop your light gray sofa. With the lower ceiling and darker paint, I would consider a gray ceiling color. I think the inspiration pic has it too. White probably won't work.

  • 10 years ago

    SW Anchors Aweigh

    SW Black Swan
    I wouldn't do it. I think the color is better for a dining room. Also, I like your fireplace as it is.

    I understand you don't have all your furniture yet. Do you at least know what the pieces will look like?

  • 10 years ago
    Think you're right suzy.
  • 10 years ago

    I shelved the idea. I'm going to keep the Escape Gray, possibly paint the ceiling and add that deep blue into the rug.

    I might use it for the home office or a room in the finished basement. It does look a bit gloomy and moody, and I'm concerned I'll regret it in the winter.

  • 10 years ago

    i think you made the right call.

    Amyzing thanked baileysr
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Plus, your inspiration picture showed walls which were custom…a sprayed lacquer.

    Personally, living on the East Coast, I would love to see a similar color in your living room, as long as you balanced it out in the hall and dining room.

    Center entrance colonials can handle saturated color well. I say “no" to gray just because it will do nothing for the room in the dead of winter, particularly with a gray couch.