Software
Houzz Logo Print
jill_thaxton

Paint Imperfections: Painting Pros please answer!

10 years ago
I am having my whole house painted, trim, cabinets, walls, doors, shutters, paneling. The crew is using a sprayer and I am using BM Advance for the trim. Overall, It looks good so far but I am wondering how picky to be about drip lines and imperfections. I see some obvious ones, like in the picture I featured, but I am assuming I need to tolerant of the random paint drip in non-obvious places? And occasionally a cabinet door appears bumpy. Not too obvious but still noticeable. I don't want to be a monster to work for, or too tolerant, but I also don't know what's normal. Thank you!

Comments (31)

  • 10 years ago

    What is tolerable for a 1K job is intolerable for a 50K job. Evaluate where you are on the scale of price vs perfection. I wouldn't be happy with that, but I don't hire the ''$100 per room'' guys from signs on the side of the road.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Your photo would not be acceptable. They can sand it down and paint over that area generally. We have not had good luck with BM paint so we don't use it and are not familiar with their different lines. Some paints make touch up less noticeable and easier - not sure if BM Advance does or not.

    The cabinet door may be a matter of what services were offered by the painters and purchased by you. If, for instance, you decided that it was not necessary to pay for all the prep work on the cabinets (cleaning, sanding or stripping, priming) then you could run the risk of the surface not being smooth. If you paid for all of that work, then it should be smooth.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hey There: Fortunately, paint is mostly very easy to fix - and these running paint has to be fixed. As Sophie Wheeler mentioned - you should get what you pay for and if this was a professional company, then they must finish it professional. Btw, have you talked to them yet? I am sure there will be no discussion to fix it.

    Good Luck

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks! Yes, it's a professional company and I'm paying a good price. Not top dollar, but that's because we contracted the whole house that is empty, so it's discounted for those reasons.

    They do want me to "blue tape" the imperfections, so I was wanting to know how picky to get. I think this helps.

    So far, I'm super pleased with the look (and lack of lingering odor) from the Advance paint. I'm hoping my guys haven't found it too difficult to work with.

    Thanks!!
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Paint drips are not acceptable in any price point and cabinets should be smooth so no money until fixed IMO

  • 10 years ago
    Even if free I would not accept paint runs as shown. Be polite, but assertive and have this fixed.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    It doesn't matter if its a 1k job or a 55k job, money never defines class,

    both deserve professional results for you Jill,

    Politely ask them to fix it

  • 10 years ago
    Get them back to fix, not good enough
  • 10 years ago

    I would go through and blue tape each and every place you see an issue.

  • 10 years ago

    Ummm - $1000 or $5000 - that is completely unacceptable.

  • 10 years ago

    They've encouraged you to blue tape it--they want to make it right.

    My standard is zero drips.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    You don't get A+ work paying a D- price. Ain't happening. Adjust your expectations to D- work if you look for Low Price Larry's Paint, Landscaping, and Catering Emporium. You want a Professional job, be willing to pay a Professional Price. Not day labor pricing. Licensing and insurance ain't cheap to maintain.

    Signs · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    yeah, drips are just a big no. someone got sloppy and didn't catch it. It's no big deal to fix. Will take them 5 mins. have them fix whatever you are uncomfortable about. It's your money. don't pay them the final payment until you are satisfied with EVERYTHING! Don't settle and don't feel like you are being a pain because you are pointing out mistakes. Again, it's your money.

  • 10 years ago

    @Sophie Wheeler, OP explained that she is paying a good price, not bargain basement and not that it matters. You get what you pay for, but this job is blatantly bad.

    We do our painting ourselves with volunteer family and friends, had the whole 2500 sq ft house primed and two or three coats, in a week. No drips.

    Your graphic is spectacular though.

  • 10 years ago
    I've used advance on trim and cabinets throughout my home with no issue, but I'm not using a sprayer. Advance is slow drying/self leveling so if they laid it on thick then it will obviously drip. No fault of the product through. You show a picture of a wall with drips, but don't say what paint they used on the walls.

    I'm not a pro, but you'll never see a drip on any of my walls. This is a sign of impatience.
  • 10 years ago
    This is actually on paneling. They may have laid it on thick here since we're painting for the first time over stained wood (yes, it was sanded and primed first too, but I'm guessing they were looking for good coverage.)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    They have asked you to blue tape imperfections. IMO, that means they want the result to be perfect for you and will not consider your taping "being picky". Mark everything you see that does not meet your standards. The company wants your good references. Sounds like a great group to me.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    You can't do that with advance. Thin coat first, let it dry 16-24 hrs, dull with synthetic steel wool pad, recoat. These aren't secret pro-tips, it's on the side of the freaking can. I would have asked them if they've used the product before, because they obviously haven't or don't care what the end product looks like. Lack of product knowledge + impatience to get the job done = drips

  • 10 years ago
    Wow! We're using the 5 gallon drums and I don't recall seeing those instructions. I did ask if they had any instructions in Spanish and the answer was no. That would be important in my area.
  • 10 years ago

    Steph, she said she was using Advance on the trim. They used a sprayer. And if its the water based Advance, you can re-coat within 6 hrs. I use it all the time on my furniture re-dos. They probably just got lazy with the sprayer and lingered too long on that spot,,,,and didn't catch it to back brush. Just have them fix it.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I thought that's what she said in her original post, but when I mentioned she didn't say what she was using for the walls, then she stated it was paneling they were actually painting, so I assumed they were using Advance there as well. I'm not sure what you mean, Benjamin Moore only has one type of Advance Waterborne Alklyd paint.

    According to the Ben Moore Website and the can: At 77°F (25°C) @ 50% RH, ADVANCE dries to the touch in 4-6 hours, and the surface can be recoated after 16 hours.

  • 10 years ago

    i guess I assumed (yeah my bad) they were using a different paint in the sprayer, on the drywall. Advance is a bit pricey to be using on drywall when their other paints would suffice. 50% humidity is high. I'm used to 15. So when I paint, I apply my second coat hours after my first. Sometimes I let it sit overnight, but that's if I'm using glossy. If it's an eggshell, I can re-coat in 6. But I guess because it's drier where I am. Makes a big difference when painting.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I don't know why anyone would use Advance on their walls, but maybe they thought paneling is a lot like trim. People all do all sorts of things. A couple of weeks ago someone posted that they painted their living room walls with Annie Sloan Chalk paint because they liked the color. I guess she's never heard of color matching.

  • 10 years ago
    I would never paint paneling with a regular wall paint. It's surprising to hear you say that "people do all kinds of things" as if painting wood paneling with an alkyd is unusual!
  • 10 years ago
    This is not full wall paneling, btw. Just the lower 1/3 of the wall.
  • 10 years ago

    Paneling makes sense, not drywall though, which a few people assumed your were talking about.

  • 5 years ago

    I hate when contractors say that certain things are acceptable based on what you pay. Unless I am agreeing to a less than good job, it is never acceptable to do a cruddy job. If I hire you to paint a room according to standards, the job should be done right whether I pay $100 or $1000. If you bid a job at $100 then you, as the contractor, need to tell the customer that you're going to cut corners, do a less than stellar job, etc.


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Hu-4642 time is money. if you think you're going to get a stellar job for $100 done in an hour or two, then shame on you. No contractor is going to say, "Our work is crappy so that's why we don't charge much". There's a reason why, "you get what you pay for" is a saying that's been around for ages.

    The reason one painter charges 1000 as opposed to 100 is time and skill level.

    Cheap

    Fast

    Good

    You can only have two.

  • 5 years ago

    Any paint drips are not acceptable. I painted the entire interior of my home a year ago. We (hubby and I) fixed all cracks and nail pops and primed those areas, sanded all doors and molding. Washed and rinsed all ceilings, doors, moldings and walls. Used Behr Ultra Scuff Defense Stain Blocker Paint & Primer. I even got the paint and painting supplies with a 10% military discount from Home Depot ( I am a retired US Air Force Captain). We used quality paint brushes and rollers and took our time. Our paint job came out beautifully❣️I can guarantee you that no professional painter would have taken all the time and effort in prep work and painting. Behr paint is fabulous. I’ve used BM and SW paint in the past and I like Behr paint better❣️

  • 5 years ago

    It is very true that a paint job should be done according to standards. However, standards change based on the level of work expected. The key to a successful project is meeting the expectations of the homeowner and contractor not some one size fits all standard. Poor workmanship is never acceptable but resources are usually limited and choices must be made to complete the project for the agreed price.
    My partner is currently doing a paint job for a repeat client who was recently widowed. She wants a new environment with color on the walls from a good quality paint job with no paint on the woodwork, even coverage, sharp lines, etc. However she does not want to pay for the next level of work where virtually all visible imperfections are fixed. Her priorities do not include fixing the plaster cracks she has been living with for 15 years.