Software
Houzz Logo Print
laurelsuzanne

New sofa thoughts

10 years ago
Hi all,
This sofa is down filled and no longer comfortable. We want to replace with leather. Thinking high quality sofa and recliner ( that would replace existing two pieces(.

Color? Charcoal for contrast to walls and creamy white bookcase?

Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago

    Have you considered having the sofa refurbished? Most likely this has a top quality frame built to last. New innards and fabric would give you a brand new sofa and you'd still have a the comfort of down. I know I would hate to part with my down sofa.

  • 10 years ago
    It's just not comfortable plus we prefer leather. But I love the set!
  • 10 years ago
    I would go with a timeless camel colored brown. :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I like the striped chairs. Are they Lee Industries? I would recommend Lee for your leather.


    Here are all the leathers available. On my monitor, England Cactus shows possibilities.

    http://www.leeindustries.com/fabrics/lee/id/leather

  • 10 years ago
    Why camel, I'm curious? The walls are a taupe.
    The existing set is Arhaus.
    We have Hancock and Moore elsewhere- it's been great. How does Lee compare?
  • 10 years ago
    Caramel is a classic color that will blend with anything when you want to repaint in five years.
    Lee industries is a great interior design used company. Top drawer in all of the shelter magazines.
    Hancock and Moore is premium too. Let your design associate direct you. Are you near a Robb and Stuckey store. Love them for custom and great variety! Your home is gorgeous.
  • 10 years ago

    I really like your idea of charcoal leather; would provide contrast and work well with your stone fireplace. Another option to check is a deep chocolate/java; maybe polished nickel decorative nail trim for contrast/updated look. Get leather samples and cuttings before ordering to ensure you get what you like and see how they look in your room. I'm curious if you have considered a sectional for your room vs sofa and chair? Based on your picture, I think it would really define your space well and provide great viewing for your tv. Regarding higher quality manufacturers, I have two newer Hancock and Moore pieces that are okay, but actually prefer the leather, quality, durability and comfort of my Whittemore Sherrill leather sofa and chair from 20 years ago! I also really love my Lee Industry banquette and the upholstery work and comfort is beautiful; super comfortable lounging and promoting long conversations at our kitchen table! I personally would stay away from any non-USA upholstered products and would encourage you and any other major "sitters" in your home to sit in sofas to get a feel for the seat depth, seat ht, cushion options/firmness etc you prefer before customizing and ordering for your home. A great sofa should last many many years! Good luck and have fun shopping!

  • 10 years ago

    i feel that if you get such a dark sofa, there will a great deal of contrast, excellent if you wish to modernize, because these rooms really look best with strong graphics. the camel would be more inclusive and allow you to blends light middle and dark with it.

  • 10 years ago
    I appreciate everyone's input. So diverse! I would like more seating for tv viewing however I feel a sectional will block that big window (where I have the two stripe chairs)....and can move people downstairs for tv viewing. Unless you have a different set up in mind...?
  • 10 years ago

    I would definitely not go with a sectional for this space.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm with you!

  • 10 years ago

    I like the idea of a charcoal sofa. Maybe the sofa could move forward a bit and a table be place behind it??? Move the two striped chairs to the opposite of where they are now to truly open up that window. Could a bench work in front of the window? More seating and open up the view.

  • 10 years ago
    I will try moving those chairs, I had wondered about them since they can't really see the tv anyway. And a bench would be fun. I will experiment:) thanks!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    GDF Studio Tufted Leather Club Chair, Chestnut Brown and Dark Brown · More Info

    I'm thinking you will find a better recliner in leather and stick with fabric for a new sofa. Carmel recliner, and gray is good or linen for sofa color.

  • 10 years ago

    have we got the sofa yet? are you still on leather?

  • 10 years ago
    No purchases yet! We prefer leather because our two cats shed and fabric just has to be cleaned daily!! I will keep the two stripe chairs, platinum, they are called, for the time being. We will start looking this weekend.
  • 10 years ago

    there are platinum leather sofas and also the caramel i mentioned dark blue might look good too.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Laurelsuzanne,

    Here is the type of modern, streamlined sectional I would consider that would coordinate well in style w/your existing striped chair: Lee 4800-Series SECTIONAL SERIES. Position facing TV and window. Place a long console behind sofa (kitchen side) with tall slender lamp/s for lighting. You retain your tall back armchairs near window, (reupholstered in a mohair or other wonderful fabric), however I would reposition the chairs to be more centered on your window and replace the small console w/a smaller round drinks table between them. Update/switch up the rug to a sheepskin or other textured rug placed under a square cocktail ottoman or table. Have fun and post pics!