Software
Houzz Logo Print
sliver17

Waterworks vs. Lefroy Brooks vs. Perrin & Rowe

10 years ago

I'm in the process of choosing plumbing fixtures for a 1,500 SF 3br/2.5ba pre-war condo in NY that I'm gutting, and would love to get some input. I'm deciding between Waterworks (Julia), Lefroy Brooks (1900), and Perrin & Rowe (Edwardian), or perhaps a less expensive option like California Faucets or Kohler. This is most likely a flip (though not necessarily), so I'm curious to know if folks think there's real value in the higher end fixtures, and if so, whether anyone has strong feelings one way or the other about the three brands I'm considering as my primary options. This isn't a $5M plus apartment in SoHo or anything, so people won't necessarily expect ultra high-end fixtures...the question is, could these things (realistically) take this from a $1,400 PSF apartment (consistent with other units in the building) to a $1,600 PSF unit. (And yes, I know that for those of you that don't live in NY/SF, those numbers are absurd!)

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago

    A local realtor might have a better idea on this than the forum.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    If you even think it's remotely possible that spending an extra $5-10k on faucets is going to add $300k in value than you'd be crazy not to try. But I think I've just answered your question. I do think that Perrin/Rowe or at least plain old Rohl would be expected, and they are quality fixtures.

    sliver17 thanked freeoscar
  • 10 years ago

    It's clear that I framed my question very poorly. I certainly don't expect to add $300k in value simply by using nice faucets. This would be part of a much broader high-end gut renovation. $200 PSF increase would be coming from doing an A renovation, rather than the type of B/B+ renovation that is more typical for this building.

    That being said, I guess my question is really twofold: 1) If I'm doing a high-end renovation, does that mean I have to use Waterworks/Lefroy/etc., or would using Kohler/Newport Brass/etc. faucets that cost 60-80% as much effectively check the box for 98% of potential buyers? 2) If I do need to really go all-out on fixtures, do particular brands tend to carry a great deal more luxury cache? I think the Lefroy Brooks stuff is beautiful, but I had never heard of it until a few weeks ago. Are there certain brands that, for whatever reason, tend to deliver far greater bang for the buck?

    chisue: You're probably right that these questions are better suited to a local realtor, but there seem to be a lot of folks here experienced in all areas of real estate, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Perrin & Rowe faucets are lovely to look at and very well made. Their customer service is top notch.


  • 9 years ago

    What are luxury faucets in your market? I don't know that faucet brands matter as much as a say a stove or fridge brand. Kohler has the Brizo line which we have ordered from (still waiting on install). By the way, I strongly recommend figuring out if it is a flip or not. We toyed with the idea of a flip but quickly realized that we would not want to move for a long time and that decision informed how much we spend and what we spent it on during renovations (which are ongoing).

  • 8 years ago

    I know this is late in coming, but I bought LeFroy Brooks and have nothing but headaches -- and lousy service trying to get things fixed. I've also had issues in the past with Waterworks.

  • 6 years ago

    This is coming even later, but I concur about the problems with Lefroy Brooks, which is now manufactured in China, not in the UK, as it was originally. I also have Perrin and Rowe, Rohl, and Waterworks in my bathrooms. All of these are high quality but I would not encourage anyone to buy a vanity from Waterworks; mine was a painted white design that began chipping within the first year, and let's just say that their customer service left a lot to be desired.


    Newport Brass is also high end and I am happy with the fixtures I bought from them.

  • last year

    Very off topic, and very late, but my heart broke the moment you said you were gutting and flipping a pre-war condo in NYC. Ugh. Unless this place was beyond salvaging, it hurts.