Software
Houzz Logo Print
phoebe2016

Kitchen remodel gone bad? Or am I too picky?

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Hi there- I'm going out of mind looking at the kitchen cabinet crown molding the design - build firm installed. I think it's choppy and does not fit the bill for complete custom cabinetry.... Please tell me honestly what you think... Is it something I demand they redo, or have them remove the molding and hire a carpenter or somehow get them to make it look more seamless. Also ... would love to hear how to fix it... Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments (67)

  • 10 years ago

    Phoebe, I get what you're saying. There's like the tiniest space between the molding and the tops of cabinets. Is the project done?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Those cabinets are full overlay. I'm certain they are touching. But with full overlay, it's not going to look like it.

    Now, I am pretty picky. But this seems over the top.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks. I think maybe getting the doors to line up straight might help.
  • 10 years ago
    Now what about the difference sizes of gaps in between cabinets. Some big enough for my finger and others not?
  • 10 years ago

    Are those gaps at the hinges?

  • 10 years ago

    It might be more helpful for you to post a photo of a full wall of cabinets so we can help answer your question.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    They are concealed hinges on full overlay cabinets. There is something wrong there, looks like the left cabinet fronts are aligned to far to the left. The standard gap should be 1/8" - 3/16", door & drawer fronts are usually cut 1/8" less than the overall cabinet box width. When two cabinets are adjacent then the gap is 1/8", 1/16" contribution on each side. They may need to order proper width fronts for that left cabinet.

    Graham

  • 10 years ago
    So to clear this up you're saying the crown is sticking out past the cabinets in some places and even with in others. The gaps between doors are bigger in some spots than others. The picture with your finger is definitely something to complain about. Is it like that on the other side of the sink? Have you asked them to fix these issues?
  • 10 years ago

    The absolute last thing on the job is adjusting the doors. You are jumping the gun on a standard issue. And pay attention when they adjust them. You will have to do that periodically through their lifespan. Because wood always keeps moving.

  • 10 years ago

    It just needs caulking, all crown requires it for fishing.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    If there weren't gaps by the door hinges, the door would just open up and scrape against other cabinets and doors. I think you are more confused than picky. Seams are covered up by caulk and paint. It's not magically seamless unless you install it in one piece or plastic. And a door needs room to open..I'm confused what the issue is here.

  • 10 years ago

    KitchenAbode,,,that kitchen is gorge! I'm in love w/the casement windows. Are those wood that was painted black or are they steel? I just got one installed by haven't painted yet. I was going to do black w/black oak casing. but now i'm wondering if I should do white, then the black.



  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Beth - The interior of the window is wood painted black and the exterior is black metal clad. It's getting there, still lots of detailing to do.

    Thanks,

    Graham

  • 10 years ago

    I understand you being picky, but one thing that may be affecting that "perfect fit" is how level is your floor and walls? The cabinets and molding are probably level. The mitered corners on your molding seem perfect. Take a picture from farther away and you might see you are fretting about something that really can't be fixed. The cabinet doors needs a certain clearance and can be adjusted to minimize the gaps. Ask the company to be very careful when they adjust the doors and you be present to point out problems as they go along. Good luck, you have a lovely kitchen from what I can see in your pics.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Read the posts again..........your cabinets are FULL OVERLAY there is no way to achieve a better result with a stacked three piece molding. The molding gaps exist because of this. The doors need room to fully open, meaning tiny gaps between doors as well.. True custom cabinetry at a taller height? No problem and less stacking on molding. And you still need an INSET door to achieve the look you are wanting or were expecting. That is a semi custom kitchen you have......... and the result is good for what you have. If you put anything under a microscope you will find a flaw.......... and you are using a microscope. All full overlay cabinets have a slight "reveal". The photo where you are poking a finger in.........is due to that reveal. Open both doors on BOTH cabinets simultaneously and my bet is you can barely slide a piece of paper in there.

    Ps Kitchen Abode up there: Looove that great!! looking kitchen, love the Arteriors pendants too: ) !!!

  • 10 years ago
    Jan- question : are you saying its a semi custom cabinetry ? Because we paid for full custom? Just asking because I'm not understanding ...and if the gap in between the cabinets are for reveal and opening ... Why do they differ in size everywhere ? Thanks
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I still don't see a photo of the entire wall of cabinetry. You are going to get all kinds of advice because you are not giving us the big picture.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    As others have mentioned, hard to exactly tell what you are trying to point out exactly, however, with a white painted cabinet you will see the mitres and gaps more etc.. that is what caulk is for. Wood will shrink and swell depending on the climate.

    During a project you are probably just over analyzing everything, keep in mind, shortly you will be back to normal everyday activity in your kitchen and will probably never look at the molding as your are now.

  • 10 years ago

    In response to your cabinet gap photo posted in the comments- it just looks like they have to adjust your doors and drawer fronts, it's highly unlikely your cabinet installers are finished.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    @phoebe2016

    Most all kitchens are semi custom. Unless you have it built by a local cabinet craftsman to the billionth of an inch. This means that yes, while you can select species, stain color, paint , door style etc, glazes and what not from even high end sources like Woodmode, it's still semi custom, no matter they don't call it that . The boxes are standard sizes in widths and heights. 18, 24, 30, 36 , 42 whatever. You won't find 31 1/4 inch anything. You won't find a height of 37 1/8. Your doors are full overlay. There is NOT a possible method to make the trim bead appear tighter at the tops of the doors. Then you must factor in that there is almost NO wall that is perfectly plumb, and virtually no ceiling perfectly level either, even in a new build. So cabinets get shimmed, are leveled....and there is the use of filler very often. Doors get adjusted last in any cabinetry install.

    It's easy to see from your photos that your kitchen is not yet finished. When your tops, lighting, and all are in place..........stand back. I am sure you are on your way to a lovely finish where these things will literally disappear within the whole of a lovely result. There is tolerance within every industry, no matter what you pay for anything in any industry . So try to relax until all is done in yours.

    To be perfectly honest, this is exactly why I push clients with traditionally styled kitchens to an extra fifteen or twenty percent for inset doors and drawers if at all possible. Yes, you lose some storage space within, yes you often must make top drawers a slab front. ......but. it solves the reveal issue on semi custom. But if you want milled- for -you one piece moldings, inset doors, the whole shebang........that is true "custom'. And you still will have some caulk !!!

  • 10 years ago

    I'm amazed that people think their kitchens are "custom" and even that their builder houses are "custom." Time to get rid of that word, it imples "made for you and you only. " Rarely the case.

  • 10 years ago

    I think that the disconnect here is that the OP does not understand the difference in cabinet overlays. She has framed full overlay, but somehow assumed that she would be getting an inset overlay look. Which is not possible. Regardless, the kitchen details look great, and will look even better once the job is completed.

  • 10 years ago

    kmkane... please explain? Why don't you think they look full custom? ... I'm new to all of this so I'm really trying to find out the information... there has been a ton of mistakes that have been attempted to be hidden from us during this process by the way.


  • 10 years ago

    live_wire_oak... inset overlay look? not sure. Just asking if the reveal should be the same in between drawers and cabinet doors.

  • 10 years ago
    I just wanted to add that I dreamed of a white kitchen for a long time...and when I got one, I had to accept the fact that a white painted finish on a wood cabinet is always going to have some gaps, seams, etc. definitely voice your concerns prior to final adjustments. But I expect you'll find that once everything is done and you put the finishing touches on your kitchen, the imperfections won't be so glaring. Your kitchen looks lovely, and I hope you are happy with the finished product!
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I see it, too. When you say, “custom”, did you buy a brand of cabinetry or did a cabinet maker actually build them?

    I ask because I had installed, last house, a very expensive brand. I was never happy with them. ONE of the problems, with the doors, was the hinges were spaced too far apart and the doors were always off…too many gaps. My builder had to come by, often, and tighten the screws. It’s not as if we had a family of 5 opening and closing…just I and hubby.

    phoebe2016 thanked JudyG Designs
  • 10 years ago

    A cabinet maker made all the cabinetry. accessories like blum close drawers, spice inserts, drawer dividers were not made in the cabinet shop.


  • 10 years ago
    I also thought it was strange that the end panels are separated on the outside of the cabinet boxes but are one piece on the inside of the same cabinet box. Does anyone have something similar? Please share...

    Thanks
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It looks like the cabinets may be OK... but I think you need to have the people who set the cabinets, or someone else (*a pro) to make it right...

  • 10 years ago

    Once again, you are not posting the whole picture. If you asked for paneled ends instead of plain sides, you will get paneled ends on the ends. They are separate pieces from your cabinet box.

    Your cabinets look great. It is clear you haven't done this before from your posts. Nevertheless, the result in these photos is beautiful.

  • 10 years ago
    Sustainable Dwellings... What kind of pro? The cabinet shop and contractor say the space is normal but I don't like its seperat ion but most importantly I don't like it separated on one side and whole on the other side of same cabinet box.
    They won't replace the panel because I signed the CAD but... I'm new to all of this and did not see this detail. Any solutions that I could offer to them?
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    You signed the CAD. Really, it's on you. Only defects are on them.

  • 10 years ago
    krismays... I'm asking for input. Yes I signed the CAD but I'm not an expert. And I missed that the end cabinet panel is broken up but solid on the other side of the same cabinet box. Does this make sense?
  • 10 years ago
    krismays - if you think this is normal (which would be so reassuring to me) then please provide a picture of anyone's end cabinetry in 2 pieces on the left and 1 solid piece on the right. Will potential house buyers not be turned off? Can I hire a carpenter to I don't know put a decorative molding on it or something... And yes again ... This is my first experience.
  • 10 years ago

    Yes it makes sense.

    Most homeowners are not experts. I'm not an expert. You can't claim ignorance as an excuse to get out of your responsibility, though. If you signed the design plan, you are responsible. I see why they did the panels they did on the other side. I think. Honestly, you won't post a photo of an entire wall so I can say and so we can help you more constructively on whether or not there are defects.

    I advise you next time to use an interior designer so these things are addressed during the design process. But honestly, these cabinets look lovely.


  • 10 years ago

    No one else is going to have a problem with those panels. Honestly.

  • 10 years ago

    I suspect messing with it will draw attention to it and risk causing more issues. Adding molding, based on what images we do have, would likely not fit the style...

  • 10 years ago
    krismays - I'm not trying to get out of anything. I've already paid for them. It was a design-build firm so I paid top dollar.
    Please tell me why you think separating the panel looks good. Thanks for the input
  • 10 years ago
    I will never understand how someone will drop $100k on a custom kitchen and not hire a designer to advocate and assist them in such a technical, design heavy undertaking. Your builder is likely realizing you are examing every mm under a microscope. Nothing is ever 100% perfect in home construction and design. No matter how much you pay. You are creating an actual home with all sorts of natural materials. Not a computer rendering or 3d plastic mockup. Do you think maybe your expectations and lack of knowledge is a factor in this situation at hand? Its a beautiful kitchen. Sounds to me you are maybe deep down not happy with certain selections you yourself made?
  • 10 years ago

    It just needs to be caulked.

  • 10 years ago

    It's rather apparent that you are not pleased with the out come, but I have to agree with the others from what I have read. If you are that unhappy with it, asking any one of us to "provide proof" that it's fine isn't going to change your mind.

  • 10 years ago
    Your cabinets are beautiful. Do not complain. Be happy
  • 10 years ago

    phoebe I agree that they will caulk or you can. Did you expect your ends of your cabinets to be finished like furniture not with a piece that is added?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Do these cabinet companies not calk all the seams and ends, with all the money they charge? I'm completely surprised if that is the norm. I'm DIY'r and do my own work and know that it makes a huge difference in finishing and only takes a couple of minutes and less than $10.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I look at the last two pictures with the blue tape on it, but I don't get what is being marked and what seems to be the problem?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    "krismays - if you think this is normal (which would be so reassuring to me) then please provide a picture of anyone's end cabinetry in 2 pieces on the left and 1 solid piece on the right."

    Now I get what the problem is and that is not a problem and that is normal... You will always have 2 panels on the side with a stacked cabinet or a pantry cabinet because the side panel is the actual door made for the same cabinet size because it has a perfect size fit, not to mention they don't make door panels of larger size than the cabinet they manufacture.

    In your case you have a 36" and 15" stacked cabinet, so you will have 2 door panels made specifically for that size cabinet 36" and 15", simply because they don't make 51 or 54" door or a cabinet that size. So if you had 39" and 12" stacked cabinet, you will have a 39" and 12" side panel. I hope that explains.

    Here is a few images of how the side panels always made.

    Good luck and enjoy your beautiful kitchen, there is nothing wrong with it.


  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    @phoebe2016

    It will seem I am splitting hairs and I am not. There are custom cabinet shops, and there are custom cabinet makers. A " custom cabinet shop" will design and create, and even install a kitchen, but even they tend to work in standard sizing, and will up charge greatly if you get too far out of what they normally do. They will get a knife cut for a custom molding, but you will pay. You walk in, there are a few lovely kitchens on display, right down to fake strawberry shortcake sitting on a plate.

    Then there are the cabinet CRAFTSMEN. This is usually a very small shop, and a one at a time kitchen. There is NO kitchen on display here ; no stacks/rack of door styles from which to select, no stack of chips representing stains......just the smell of raw lumber and one hell of a lot of noise and dust. They make everything from tables to stair bannisters to custom wood exterior doors to you name it. I think you have the FORMER and not the latter .

    That said, who installed your kitchen cabinetry? The cabinet shop or your contractor? As to end panels, yours look perfectly fine! Yes, if you wanted a single one piece panel on a tall cabinet, it would have needed to be specified as such. Perhaps it didn't show up on the cad drawing and the detail was missed. As to your install, the trim is on. Your apron sink is in place. Doors can be adjusted. Minor scratches and dings that occurred in install will be touched up with the little bottle of matching lacquer they provided. You'll finish and the ordeal will be over and it will look great. I have no idea your area of the country, or even the size of the total kitchen from your photos. I'm guessing you have a worst case 35k cabinet expense assuming an "average" kitchen in a nice suburban area. You are wanting a 50k to 70k cabinetry result, interior designer driven, along with a craftsman, and every last detail drawn and approved.

    phoebe2016 thanked JAN MOYER
  • 10 years ago

    Now your ''issues'' are completely over the borderline into completely unrealistic. The kitchen is not finished. You don't go poking your nose into the kitchen when the sausage is being ground unless you want to become a vegetarian. Leave them alone and let them finish the details like adjusting the doors and filling the cuts. Jeesh. I hope the cabinet maker charged you 80K. He is earning it.

  • 10 years ago

    The problem to me seems to be that the photos may not demonstrate the problem well, so the people who are responding may not see what you see. Did you use an architect? If so, ask them to come or send an expert to review the work. Even if you have to pay a consultant to give you another opinion, and detailed corrections for the installer to make, it will be worth it. And if they are truly looking out for your best interest, they will reassure you if everything is indeed as fine as so many people are trying to tell you they are. Just remember, not all cabinet installations are of equal quality, and not everyone's standards are at the same level. Also, caulking is not magic - when wood moves, it can pull the caulk, leaving you back at square one. You are better off having tightly mitered cuts, properly aligned. Some fine craftsmen who are able to provide that will advise against caulk. There will always be people who want you to be satisfied with mediocre work - don't let them bully you.

    Just yesterday my husband and I were recalling the difference in craftsmen on various houses we have built. In one house, we kept being told that all angled cuts had varying size gaps, etc. We soon learned that when we hired better craftsmen we got better results, and a better attitude about details. A serious master carpenter will appreciate your attention to detail and try hard to please you. Btw, for those who are implying that you should have chosen inset doors, I say they may have made you even more unhappy. If you are in a climate where wood swells with the seasons and moves a lot, you may have found some of the doors sticking, etc.. Get a second opinion from someone trustworthy - with expertise - and ask them for detailed instructions on their recommendations. Best of luck - I hope in the end you will have a wonderful kitchen to enjoy everyday!

    phoebe2016 thanked hoping2