Software
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_everatt

New chandelier

10 years ago
Just bought this house one year ago and still at a loss for the front entrance light ! Would love some suggestions as I like a more modern look...would love to hear your opinions!!

Comments (24)

  • 10 years ago

    What are you planning to spend?

    Are banisters black or espresso? What metal finish were you thinking?

  • 10 years ago

    What are the measurements of the entry area? height... etc.

  • 10 years ago

    How about an orb type? I like this one for you. More contemporary, yet has a rustic vibe.

    Kichler Lighting 43185AUB Grand Bank Lodge/Country/Rustic Chandelier · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I like this one better and it's a better price.

    Sea Gull Lighting 3110404 Sfera 4 Light 1 Tier Chandelier with Mercury Glass · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Looks like you need much more light in this space. Let me post some ideas.
  • PRO
    10 years ago


    Park Harbor PHPL5118 Plaza 24"W 8 Light Pendant - Oil Rubbed Bronze · More Info
    This fixture is a nice size and will direct light all around the space. However, you do need to hang your fixture lower than the current one by about 12" above your door opening. That will help distribute light better too. I like the open look because it mimics your stair rail and the black metal.
    Hudson Valley Lighting - Marlow 5 Light Pendant Light · More Info
    Here is another "type" that might be interesting. Each of these lights can be hung at the drop you desire. So the black wire repeats your black but the gold fixture brings a modern touch. Also the faceted globes will shine a very interesting light pattern all around. This is nice, because the various lights would be at different levels which would be good in your multi-level entrance.
    Artcraft CD2004TS Monterey Chandelier · More Info
    If you want some glam but keep modern look, this is interesting. Not sure of your budget, but each of these are "examples" of shapes and concepts and you can research the ones you like best that fit your particular budget.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    As of now, I like the ones that don't repeat the drywalled closet-block [closet?] but bring a rounder line, or vertical line as was posted.

  • 10 years ago

    Totally agree round.

  • 10 years ago
    Wow thank you so much !! The stairs look black but they are in fact espresso. Our house is open concept so the light will be seen from all rooms. Thank you Flo for the hanging length tip!!!

    Any ideas of what to do with the awkward closet space ? Should I put something in the top corner ... A plant? A mirror ? I think I will do some white frames on the wall eventually....
  • 10 years ago



  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Like the idea of closing in above closet. Depending on your style, something with color might be ok, but I would rather do a large colorful art piece on the left wall. I see many want round but I feel like vertical shapes would suit the space and provide more interesting light pattern. Just my thought. I ave another fixture I am thinking about. Going to try to find it.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    First, replace the smaller art work on the side wall with something much larger on that wall to make it grand. Something like this:

    Extra Large 60x24 Original Impasto Abstract Painting Acrylic Art by Thomas John · More Info
    this is original work, but great buy right now. But something this size, make a statement and it would be visible from all levels. Then do the light fixture like this:
    14.3 Three Pendant Chandelier · More Info
    This type light can be used with a number of balls all at differing heights. There is a round plate at the top and you set these up with as many or few lights as you want. I have done them on circular stairs and they are fantastic. Just depends on the style and look and of course, budget. This would run with say 5 lites, about $900. Alternatively, if your budget is much smaller, then you could do something like this:
    Regina-Andrew Design 'Pattern Makers' Golden Chandelier · More Info
    You could have an electrician put one more junction box and then hang two of these. They are very reasonably priced. You can hang at two different levels. Then, if you need to stay right with what you have and just do one chandelier, then go with the multi level round glass balls I posted ealier
    Awesome two story entry is accented by two chandeliers. Complimenting each othe · More Info
    This is ball type chandelier I did in a large home, but you can do that same piece only smaller for a very reasonable price. Just wanted to show you how the multi-level type looks in real life.
    EGLO 3-Light LED Pendant Lamp, Chrome and Glass · More Info
    This is under $400 You can set the lengths any way you want. Just have to be there when it is hung so you get the look you want. Now these ideas take you to a more modern style, and I don't know what you are looking for, but give us some feedback so we can adjust to your taste. Right now we are just guessing from what we see in the two photos. Give us more photos and that would help! Thanks!



  • 10 years ago

    Liking how closet looks sleek with height to ceiling, and lights grover placed! I think the red bird flew in while the door was open ha kidding. Whatever you were to like. What's your budget?

  • 10 years ago

    What's the shape called - I liked the oval ball - but for cost of grover's here's but idk right size: W 15.75" / Manchurian Ash

    Ball Shape Wooden Pendant Light · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Not pretty, but fyi, in case you're in this style:

    Kichler Lighting KCH-42257-OZ Lucien Modern / Contemporary Chandelier · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    I love the idea of closing in the top of the closet !! I think it looks so many cleaner but my husband finds it makes the space look smaller ?!

    Flo, you're right I think a large print would be better. Everything in my house is basically white, grey and black and I like it that way.
  • 10 years ago
    Also ideally would like to spend under 500$! As for the red bird .... Even if it was free I would not be choosing that
  • 10 years ago

    Whatever you do, don't put anything on top of the closet. The last thing you want is to draw attention to it. Best idea is to enclose it as in Grover's renderings. As for the hanging fixture, there are endless choices. Good luck.


  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions !!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Sure I understand. You could do a large black and white dimensional work. Something architectural maybe. No red bird today. Maybe you have a favorite bridge, or railroad track or other architectural photo you could have super enlarged for that spot.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I saw this print that has your colors. Something along this line that is distinctive, would bring interest and style to your stairway.

    Fine Art Black and White Photographic Print, Old Point Loma Lighthouse 2, 12x16 · More Info
    The bright white would help brighten up space and the interesting subject matter would be nice. Something like this. But the size needs to be something like 60" high and 40" wide. Big. It would really change the whole atmosphere of your entry. Along with the new chandelier.

  • 10 years ago

    Yes close in top of closet.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert