Software
Houzz Logo Print
ehabness

What color would you stain these stairs and railing?

10 years ago

Low Lighting of Stairs

Close up

Dining Table (Grey) - Dining chairs (Black - Brushed Steel)

Coffee and Side Table (Silver) - Sofa & Loveseat (Charcoal)


Kitchen (white & black counter-tops)


Here's an older Panorama before I had the coffee / side tables and dining chairs... (I also got rid of that entertainment unit):


The floor is a grey / white glossy marble. I've already decided the risers will be white (unless everyone says no), but now trying to figure out what to stain the steps themselves as well as the railings... I'm considering using a two tone post (white and whatever the stain is) I was originally thinking I'd color it a grey tone, but now worried it'll just look exactly like my dining table, seen below:


Thanks in advance for all your help fellow Houzz members! :)



Comments (15)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I wouldn't stain them, They actually don't look too bad natural.The only one right off the bat I could say wouldn't take away from the rest of the house would be Varathane Gunstock. Its a pretty neutral brown, not to red not to yellow.

    ehabness thanked Spenard Builders Supply - Eagle River
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    So I'm actually trying to stay away from anything that's the least bit "warm"; and therein lies the problem. I need a greyish tone that doesn't clash with the table (I think). I feel the neutral will always look "unfinished" even after I'm done with painting the risers.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Varathane has 2 different gray tones there is a Weatherwood and Sunbleached.

    ehabness thanked Spenard Builders Supply - Eagle River
  • 10 years ago

    Probably Dark Mahogany Color


    ehabness thanked John Cuck
  • 10 years ago
    You tend towards a more modern look. What about making the railing and banisters black or charcoal and the steps in a stain similar to your table tops.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would do a deeper gray than your table top but stay in that vein. I don't think white risers work. I might do those black stain (ebony). Sample on a few pieces of spare wood if you can. Same species as on the stairs. It looks like white oak? The oak has strong warm tones, so not sure why that wood was selected but it is what it is. Tie white in with a beautiful long white glass decorative piece on your table with a purple orchid in it.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Beth - that is gorgeous! Well done. You have a real talent for sure!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    to me you makes sense with this but what l observe here is only painting on it
  • 10 years ago

    thanks flo! I love wood finishing!!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Do you recall the French name for this finish? Is it French Lymed?
  • 10 years ago

    For my finish?? It's called a ceruse. Hundreds of years ago they did it to wood with lime to deter insects. It works well on well grained woods, usually oak, and can be done with white paint, liming wax or any other colors. I did one in an ebony aniline dye on an oak dresser and then used liming wax. There are a few steps in between, of course, but that's the gist of it. This explains the process http://makemeprettyagain.blogspot.com/2013/12/ceruse-technique.html

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you for all the ideas! I love that finish style Beth, I think I'll try that out on the scrap wood I have from the stair project, and see if I can get a charcoal type color with that white grain in it.


    Unfortunately, although I like some of the other suggestions, the warm colors just don't work in this setting. I actually had painted the original stairs that came with the house a dark brown, and it just clashed with all the grey / white / black around it. It definitely has to be a cooler tone to match everything I have so far.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Beth's suggestions I think would play very well with everything. Good luck. Beth really know her stuff so go for it!
    ehabness thanked Flo Mangan
  • 4 years ago

    I like carpet on steps. It is quieter, and you can choose a striking pattern to give the stair some personality! I find that the first 4 or 5 steps get ugly way before the rest, so buy some extra carpet to replace those steps. The new replacement carpet will look just fine in a few days.