Software
Houzz Logo Print
scolema2

Kitchen cabinet color help please!

10 years ago
Please help me pick the color for my kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are made from alder wood and they have detailed corbels that I wanted the detail to show and not get lost in the over color. I was thinking of a light glaze to enhance that detail. The colors in my kitchen are
Walls: White Dove
Countertop: Taj Mahal Quartzite
Floor: Jacobean
Sink/Appliances: Stainless Steel

The center island I believe I am going to do in a dark stain.

You see the kitchen as soon as you walk in my front door. My kitchen is open to my living room.

Please help I have been without a kitchen since January and I am getting hungry :)
Thanks in advance, I really appreciate (and need) the help!

You see the cloth on the island where we have been experimenting with color.

Comments (16)

  • 10 years ago

    How much light do you get in there? You could do something dark for the cabinets.

    scolema2 thanked greenwoodframed
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I like the fact that you are experimenting with color. The wood and detail is absolutely gorgeous. I agree a glaze would help bring out detail.

    scolema2 thanked R G MILLER (YBC)
  • 10 years ago

    I am thinking about Ebony for the island. I have several windows in this area.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Those corbels are in no danger of getting "lost". Skip the glaze...it's a bit passe and can make the cabinets look dingy especially if you choose a lighter color.

    You basically have two islands--are they going to be the same color or two different colors?

    Wondering why you didn't have the cabinets stained or painted at the factory?

    scolema2 thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago

    They were custom made by an old cabinet maker who's father was a cabinet maker and passed the craft down. He is an amazing craftsman and person.

  • 10 years ago
    I am thinking of having the center island Ebony and the other cabinets different.
  • 10 years ago
    Why were these not finished in the cabinetmakers shop? Beautiful workmanship, but how are you going to achieve a professional finish, now they are installed?
  • 10 years ago
    He is old school and he custom builds the cabinets and then brings them to the job. His father was a cabinet maker and taught him the craft and he is teaching his son. It is mainly him and him alone building them. He builds the cabinets but doesn't finish them.
  • 10 years ago
    Who is finishing them? Make sure you hire a qualified professional!
  • 10 years ago
    Sandy, for sure. We have a great professional finisher lined up. His work is amazing.
  • 10 years ago
    Super!
  • 10 years ago
    beautiful works of art!! I'm a white kitchen girl but my inclination when i see your pics is leave them the natural color and the dark you picked for the big island. absolutely stunning. what kind of hardware were you thinking? lighting over island?
  • 10 years ago
    I am open to anything at this point on hardware. Any ideas? We have can lights in the ceiling. Thank-you all for such great comments. I really need the help :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The island would look amazing in an almost black stain. It would bring out the counter tops and the floor. A stain wouldn't be too much of a contrast with the floor. To lighten up the room you could always paint the wall cabinets and tall cabinets white. I've used Taj Quartzite before in remodels and white and black look amazing with it. It would really bring out the detail in the corbels too. Good luck

  • 10 years ago
    Oh I love that! So both of our islands we could do in the dark stain (we were thinking Ebony which is an almost black). What color have you seen in the white cabinets with the Taj Mahal? Did it have a glaze or was it just the paint color. Thanks so much!
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH