Software
Houzz Logo Print
brunoy

"Strange" bathroom

13 years ago
Hello Houzzers, I need some creative thinking for our newly rented "Strange" bathroom. How can I make this place look pretty by playing with all the rules a rental does have. I am totally stuck. Am I going colorful or am I going with a black and white theme to distract from the all over beige????

Comments (19)

  • 13 years ago
    Well, I am the first post and all I can say is the sky is the limit for color. I like the black and white theme. Then the third color is anything you want, lime green, blue, red, yellow. Gray is the in color. Gray and yellow is pretty. Curious to hear other posts.
  • 13 years ago
    I would use as much color as I could get away with. It's very... institutional looking right now. Is that a shower curtain rod? Hard to tell from the photo.
  • 13 years ago
    You could definitely go with color or go neutral. Off-white towels with a hand towel on top the color of the top of the tub. Install a wooden roman shade on the inside of the window to use as a valance. Maybe a plant on the window ledge and a basket of sea sponges, soaps, etc. Install a nice mirror over the sink in keeping with the natural elements and maybe a bamboo bath mat or other natural runner for the floor. The warmth will develop as the accessories come in. Good luck !
  • 13 years ago
    I would start with a spectacular shower curtain, then let that be your color inspiration.
  • 13 years ago
    I like natural idea! It looks like there might be room for free-standing shelves, like a baker's rack for towels baskets and what-not, maybe wicker. Then you can put plants there, which will add some life to the room. Maybe some plants on the window sill too.
  • 13 years ago
    Sadly, there is no way to distract from so much tile, so embrace it! You could feasibly ignore the accent tiles, But I think black and white will make the room itself look dingy. I'd try as many green, beige/peachy accents as I could fit and add wicker/twig storage as shown above. How about two shower curtains -
    11/2 on the tub and 1/2 over the radiator(cuts dust levels, won't interfere with heating), and bamboo shade a window?
  • 13 years ago
    You could add a set of Swedish wood shelves to fill the area next to the bathtub. The wood would add warmth, and the shelves could hold extra towels, baskets of your bath items, accessories. Look on line for these, very inexpensive.

    To the left of the sink (between sink and door) since it is a little "tight" with the door swing: add some large 3M Command Hooks to hold your bath robe, extra towels.

    Good ideas for green plants or even long grasses. And the mirror with natural elements. The tile floor is making me long for a warm fluffy rug!
  • 13 years ago
    I would go with neutral.
  • 13 years ago
    depends on how much work you're willing to put in and what your landlord will let you do. you can probably sand and paint the tub/toilet white: http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-the-Bathtub
    ask your landlord if you're allowed - i would say it's an improvement that he/she may even subsidise.
    if you really want to go 110% you can repaint the grout white to get a really clean white feel bathroom (think groutbully or whatever that stuff is). now you have a fresh base.

    the look of the bathroom is inherently modern (with all the tile), so i would put a non-permanent, tension-rod curtain bar in the window and go with something bold and cheerful, maybe a chevron pattern. limes, yellows, turquoises and teals will make it feel fresh. i wouldn't go black/white as a theme because it will just end up looking like jail (in my opinion)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    the tiles is all already there, so i totally agree with @studio10001. work with it, not against it. looks like there's only one accent tile? just hang a photo over it! use "command by 3m" easy remove hooks. add colour via hand towels, a floor mat, shower curtain, a vase in the window shelf, etc.

    if you want to add certain accessories/grab bars/etc to the walls, and your budget allows, check out http://www.nodrillingrequired.com/ they will come right off when it's time to move.

    also ask if you can change the doorknob. to something chrome (to match the faucet) and to get rid of the dated look.

    this would definitely work with a minimalist, scandanavian feel in mind.

    [houzz=
    Eberhart · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    b&w +g"amabatia" · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    Turquoise looks nice with beige, I'd use that with wood accents, bamboo and also plants to reinforce an organic feel.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What about a dramatic wall decal?
    Peacock three-color wall decal, NouWall · More Info
    Threshold Ombré Shower Curtain, Blue · More Info
    VivaTerra - Teak Ladder with Shelf · More Info
    Vignette® Tiered™ Modern Roman Shades with LiteRise® · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Kelly, would a wall decal work in a bathroom with steam and vapor etc?
  • 13 years ago
    Because it looks almost retro, you could play on that - I'd love to see a bit of orange there, maybe a vase, shower mat etc.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    read all the comments, and I feel all the blues and oranges wont work ideally with the beige tub.

    My approach would be to ignore the beige and let it be what it is. Instead work on the industrial design - adding grey towels, use stick on mirrors (they come in squares x 4 at IKEA for next to nothing). Fill an entire wall with them so add drama (you can use a knife to cut out the sticky stuff at the end of the rental and then some acetone). Add as much chrome, metal accents as you can. If you can find some round stick on mirrors, do so over the shower to cover that tile decoration (IKEA again). Everything else needs to look industrial: glass, chrome. metal, dark and light grey - this will mute the beige and then the overall look will work together.

    Tried to find a photo to illustrate but funnily enough there isn't one!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I believe the decals will work....they are a plastic material just be sure that the walls are clean and dry.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    PLants indeed, orchid, large fern, stained glass hanging over the window would add a LOT of color keeping the light and give you a start for colors to pick up. You can get very nice ones ebay and Etsy.
  • 13 years ago
    Ladder shelf, shown above, in warm wood, with blue towels, plants, etc. looks great!