0

Please help in identifying this rose....

Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)
September 23, 2016

It has never taken me that long to identify a rose but this one has become a unsolvable puzzle. I bought it dirt cheap but it was untagged. Had nice blooms with fruity fragrance so I bought it probably in Aug 2015.

In more than a year, the bush has not grown more than 2 ft. It keeps blooming most of the time and produces small to medium sized bright vermilion blooms with salmon pink and burgundy stripes.

The stripes are very prominent during cooler months but during summers, vermilion is more prominent and stripes are very less.

It has a moderate fruity fragrance.

From size and shape of the bush, it looks like a Patio rose. It has never grown over 2 ft. Leaves are long and pointed.

Few photos.... all photos have dates and are being shown in chronological order so that shade transitioning in different seasons can be determined.

Straw, Valrose, Carol, Aileen, Kelly, Sam, Bluegirl..... please help identifying this rose.

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Few more pics.... in the chronological order.

• strawchicago

Looks like a mini-rose so I went through Burlington's list of 100+ minis, and have zero luck.

Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb) thanked strawchicago
  • Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

I have also searched so many lists Straw. This rose has become a puzzle.... an enigma for me. Just can't identify it. Thanks for your efforts.

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Some fresh thoughts needed..... someone who looks at this rose from a different angle which we have been unable to do so far......

• strawchicago

I'll ask Bluegirl for help. She's very experienced in old roses and rose-lineage. I checked with 100+ mini & mini-floral, and I'm leaning toward floribunda due to its strong scent and many blooms.

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Straw: It doesn't have a strong scent but a moderate one that is always there. I mean it is rare that I smell this rose and find it with no fragrance. But it is on the moderate side most of the time.

• totoro z7b Md

Sorry I can't be more help. I am just a novice. I wish I knew enough that I could be able to recognize a rose by sight. It is also so hard when the color of the same varies so much to distinguish from different roses. I just don't know how people so it.

Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb) thanked totoro z7b Md
  • rosecanadian

This is the closest I could find:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.172882

although there aren't any stripes on it.

Carol

Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb) thanked rosecanadian
  • Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Thanks Carol. We all have been trying hard to find the id of this rose. If you remember it is the same rose that I post in another thread along with many other roses for identification. We were able to identify all other roses but despite considering over 20 ids, we weren't sure.

I think another option is to rename this rose appropriately. I wouldn't have opened a new thread for the same rose but this guy is always blooming and when I pass by it, I always appreciate its beauty but then feel guilty that I don't even know what I am appreciating.

Anyways.... whatever it is, it is always adding colour to my veranda where it is placed. Thanks for your time and effort.

best regards

• rosecanadian

No problem!!

My daughter suggested this name - Crimson Confetti!! I like it!!!

Carol

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

wow.... Crimson Confetti..... that's a beautiful name. So it is Crimson Confetti from now onward. Straw: Do you like the name?

Thanks Carol.

• strawchicago

Khalid: went through your pics. again, it's a lovely name. Crimson confetti. Perfect name !!

• rosecanadian

I know!! It just popped into her head as soon as I showed her the pictures. :) Awesome, I'll tell her!

Carol

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Carol: Please pay my gratitude to your daughter for giving such a lovely name to the enigma rose. So..... I have a Crimson Confetti now....great

best regards

• rosecanadian

I will, and you're welcome from her!!

Carol :)