Software
Houzz Logo Print
brendan_nulty

Hoya Plants - disease

10 years ago

Trying to grow Hoya plant from offcuts. 3 plans leaves have gone yellow, two folder over, is it a deficiency?

Comments (8)

  • 9 years ago

    Had the leaves developed roots before yellowing or folding over? No roots no way to get nutrients.

    kimmq is kimmsr

  • 9 years ago

    impossible to opine without more info.. and or pix ..


    see link .. was your process like any of the suggestions ... it doesnt say anything about rooting LEAVES ... as compared to stem cutting with nodes ...


    ken

    https://www.google.com/search?q=grow+Hoya+plant+from+offcuts.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=how+to+propagate+hoya+from+cuttings

  • 9 years ago

    Brendan, are you familiar with the proper techniques of taking stem cuttings? It's pretty straightforward, but if you miss a step or two, then the cuttings can't regenerate new roots.

    I'm assuming that you are discussing issues with your stem cutting, correct?

    It would be helpful for me to see a couple of pictures, if you can do that. I will say this, leaves will turn yellow when a cutting fails...it has nothing to do with a deficiency.

  • 9 years ago

    Good afternoon, sorry for the brief information.

    Christmas last year I bought various Hoya plant cuttings from a reputable online company. These cuttings were purchased from a Zone 10 - temperate area and relocated to a zone 11a - warm or subtropical. I used rooting powder with the cuttings and planted in a pearlite and potting mixture. Watering occurred every three days for 3-4 weeks then once soil dried out, approximately 1-2 times a week. The plants are East facing and get 3-5 hours of morning sun. They were 2 months ago transplanted into larger pots (from seedling containers). Please see attached photo's

    I am new to cuttings and that why I bought from a reputable supplier on line, I followed all instructions on the rooting powder packet. All were stem cutting with nodes.

    All cuttings had reasonably healthy leaves to begin with, only recently have they started to fold / go yellow



    Note that the plant above is pitting / indenting as well as having some black spots on leaves.



    The other four Hoya variations I purchased are growing, happy and healthy.


    Any ideas, suggestions would be most appreciated.


    Thanking you kindly for your posts

    kimmq ,

    ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5, rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7


  • 9 years ago

    I'm confused. You purchased cuttings? If so, how old might they have been? No sign of roots on any of them when they arrived? Is there at least one node buried in the potting mix? That's where the new roots will develop. And the mix appears to be very dry.....if these are still rootless cuttings, they should be kept nice and moist at all times, in a fast draining medium.

    The top cutting certainly looks dead. Hoya, since it has such thick waxy leaves, it may take awhile for a cutting or plant to look as dead as it really is.

    If the cuttings are old, the vascular system begins to collapse and unable to carry water up from the base of the cut stem into the foliage.


  • 9 years ago

    Thankyou Rhizo for your response.

    I purchased cuttings online, only 2-3 days old, posted in ziplock bags with a little moisture. I had looked up how to propagate Hoya online prior and as suggested nodes were buried in the potting mix.

    Would you suggest removing the first two cuttings from soil and looking for visibly signs of roots, or just leave them alone? For the first two plants I cut the stem back by 1/3 as suggested online - wooden step with a hollow centre.

    Should I leave this plants in their current position 3-4 hours morning sun - we are warming up here in Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia?

    Thanks again

  • 9 years ago

    Brendan, in most cases, I would tell you to leave the cuttings alone but in this situation, with them looking so dead, I would at least give them a gentle tug to see of there is any resistance. Have you taken care of the moisture issue?

    I suggest that we take this conversation to the Houseplant Forum, where you will find lots of people who have been successful with hoya cuttings. The green link will take you right there. Be sure to post your pictures and the history you've given to me.

    Honestly, I don't remember that hoya has hollow stems.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for your advice rhizo, the plants are getting more frequent watering as you suggested and I have placed the photos and history on the Houseplant Forum site as suggested. Kind Regards