Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valal111

THE NEWBIE SEED PROJECT BEGINS - OCTOBER 2016

val (MA z6)
7 years ago

If you are reading this thread and it's NOT OCTOBER 2016, this offer is expired (but look to see if there's one for the current month). Each month we will post a new thread if we still have seeds to offer Houzz/GW members!

WELCOME to Gardenweb!

New to gardening? New to Houzz/GW? Just getting started or coming back to gardening again?

I have a limited number of packets this month -- Each has a variety of seeds to send out to those newbies who would like them, thanks to generous donations of a number of Houzz/GW gardeners.

TO PARTICIPATE, PLEASE READ this post in FULL, FOLLOW the rules, and read the thread for UPDATES. If you dont follow the rules, I will NOT respond to your message/post.

Post your request here on this thread and send me a Houzz message.

This offer is for US only and Houzz garden members.

1. You must message me on Houzz, no emails. Include your Houzz name AND your REAL name, and address. Tell me a little bit about you and your garden or soon-to-be garden. You do not have to post this publicly, you can message me about yourself. I will send you my address to send your stamps, etc.

2. Please enable your message capability so you can receive messages. (See post below that Leila was nice enough to compile re:TECH HELP -including setting up messaging) -- It's a good idea to set this up so you can communicate and trade with other Houzz users, and this requirement is so that you have a chance to practice messaging.

3. To receive a mailer of 25+ varieties of seeds, you must send 8 “forever” stamps and a mailing label (or clearly print your name and address on a piece of paper IN PEN that I can tape to the envelope). OR if you prefer, you can send $4.50 via paypal; my paypal email provided upon request and instructions. The stamps you are sending pay for the postage to send your seeds to you, the bubble envelope I provide to send them in, and any extra helps with extra supplies such as tape, ziploc seed baggies, etc.

WE WELCOME extra donations to help offset the cost of supplies to package newbie seeds.

4. Tell me if you prefer flower seeds OR veggie seeds OR a combination (in a note with your stamps) so I dont have to refer back to GW. If you dont let me know, I'll just send a variety of whatever. You are welcome include a "wish list" but most newbie packs are already put together, and Remember: what you get depends on the generous donations of seeds received. This project is to help get you started for a minimal cost.

5. READ this thread for UPDATES; I have a limited number of packets to send out and this is where I will post updates when they are no longer available, when packages are mailed out, etc. PLEASE post here when you receive your newbie seeds.

This our our way to welcoming you to the GW/Houzz Garden Community! We look forward to getting to know you! We hope you will stick around and join in the trading and the chat and help build our community of gardeners into a larger base for sharing, learning, etc!

In addition:

Please see the Newbies Questions/Chat thread in the Round Robin forum so it's easy to find. Introduce yourself, let's chat - feel free to ask questions!

Have fun and Happy Gardening!

If you’re new to the forums and haven’t read this post, you might find it helpful:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/3371179/attention-newbies-please-read?n=33

SEE THREAD BELOW for Tech Help

Comments (36)

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

===============================

Technical Help for Newbies

PLEASE GO TO YOUR EDIT PROFILE PAGE AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS LISTED CORRECTLY.

Then go to ADVANCED SETTINGS (<<--click here)

(located under “Account”on the left side of the “edit profile” page or at-

https://www.houzz.com/settingsAdvanced )

Scroll down to "Privacy settings"

and select the option of “ALLOW ANYONE TO MESSAGE ME” under "Who can message me".

==========================================

To add your growing zone:

Go to ADVANCED SETTINGS

Look for - Climate Zone for Garden Forums - and fill in your zone.

======================================================

To make/edit your wants/have list:

Go to ADVANCED SETTINGS

-Then click on the box under “My GardenWeb Trading List”

-Type/paste in your seeds in a vertical list

(much easier to read than a horizontal list with commas between).

=============================================================

To access these settings:

if you are currently logged in, click on your name anywhere on the site, or the “Your Houzz” button at the top right of any page.

Then go to ===> Edit Profile ===> Advanced Settings (located under “Account”on the left)

also, this page can be accessed by going directly to the web address -https://www.houzz.com/settingsAdvanced

this is the page where you can edit your preferences, allow people to email you, list your growing zone, and fill in your have/ want lists.

(THANKS LEILA for putting this together!)

• Galen xoxox
    7 years ago

I would love a newbie seed kit! Messaging now!

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Galen, sent you a message

• Tim & Elle Bentley
    7 years ago

We are (Mississippi Zone 8a) newbies all the way around and would love one of the newbie seed packets. Our passion is cooking. We truly believe that final product is only as good as the ingredients. We want to provide our family with meals that are nutritious and high quality. In this day and age, the only way we can do this is by growing our own produce. We desire to plant and nurture an heirloom vegetable garden. As we develop our garden we will pay it forward with seeds of our own. Would you consider adopting our precious family. If you saw a picture of our 2 year old son, you wouldn't be able to resist! :) If you need further info check out our completed profile! Thanks.

• Patricia 5A Roe
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would love a newbie seed kit, new york zone 5. new bie to planting seeds love the smell and beauty of plants...would love flower seeds or a mix up to you ... Im kind of new to this so im sure I will learn alot from this forum

• harold100
    7 years ago

Hi Val. Please drop me a private message with your address. I am in Virginia. I have a large supply of Shasta daisy seeds and black-eyed Susan seeds I could send you for distribution. It would be 2000 seeds of each one and some smaller supplies of other seeds for your personal use. They will be sent in a bubble envelope and I will cover the postage. You can find me listed in the rate and review section although it has been a long time since I traded and got a post there. I just sent a large envelope of seeds to a lady in Texas last week but she posted my name wrong as herold100 Thanks.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tim/Elle & Patricia R. Messages sent to you today

And wow..Tim/Elle, you are fast: Paypal received this evening - packet going out Monday.

Harold, sending a message now. THANK YOU for your generous offer!

• Jey Chidam
    7 years ago

I would prefer a newbie kit for veggies only. I have a few flower seeds that I can send over for distribution. I am in zone 7. Pls message me address to send the stamps/mailing label/flower seeds to. Thank you! This is a great help!

• Jason Wallace
    7 years ago

I just moved back to my hometown and finally have some room to grow again. Would love and appreciate anything to get me started.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

PLEASE REMEMBER:

TO PARTICIPATE, PLEASE READ this post in FULL, FOLLOW the rules, and read the thread for UPDATES. If you dont follow the rules, I will NOT respond to your message/post.

Post your request here on this thread and send me a Houzz message.

I have received several messages without the necessary information asked for above. I dont ask much, but do ask that you send that info.
    THANK YOU!

• GardenMom
    7 years ago

Val, I'm in zone 8 and would love a newbie pack of mixed flowers and veggies. Hoping to start winter sowing and flowers soon. Veggies in spring, also want an herb garden!!! Will msg u now. Thanks will have stamps by Friday.

• Tim & Elle Bentley
    7 years ago

VAL & seed donors..... We recently receive our newbie packet! Wow! Thank you som much for the AMAZING variety of heirloom veggies! Our winter garden is planted! When we harvest, we will post pictures. Thanks again!

• Chevon Mogannam
    7 years ago

Hello! I am Chevon and I live in zone 9a. I am completely new to gardening and this site. Thank you for all of your help!

• GardenMom
    7 years ago

Hey chevon I'm new too!! Zone 8 here!!

• Ashley T (zone 5)
    7 years ago

I am new to gardenweb. I just got a yard again so I am excited to garden
    like I did when I was younger. I am working towards owning my own small
    farm in the future using sustainable practices and permaculture. I live
    in zone 5 wisconsin.

• gregandleslie
    7 years ago

In zone 6 southern Kansas and am starting a garden for herbs and vegetables let me know the address and I will send SASE. Also looking for stinging nettle seed to grow for tea.

• GardenMom
    7 years ago

Wow, I just seen stinging nettle at an organic place

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jey and Ashley, your newbie packs went out in yesterday's mail

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Harold, THANK YOU (I sent you a private message also) for all the seeds! WOW! I'm busy packing them into individual newbie packets and know they will appreciate them big time!

• harold100
    7 years ago

Great to hear that. Somehow I did not see this message until just now and I wrote you one minute ago asking about the package. Comcast mail was 23 hours late this morning. So glad it arrived safely.

• GardenMom
    7 years ago

Val, did I request a newbie pack. Do I need stamps. I do now have seeds to trade.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

GardenMom, are you Jessica?

You signed up, Last message I received from you asked how many stamps to send, I responded on 10/11. I have not received your stamps yet. The newbie seed project doesnt ask you to trade. Please read the top of the page instructions again. I've sent my address via private message.

• Molly
    7 years ago

Val, I just sent you a message. Thank you for your generous offer!

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    7 years ago

VAL, Lots of fresh seeds coming your way. Enjoy your week!

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

THANKS Jensyen!!! :D You're a GEM!

Galen, Got your stamps, your newbie pack is being mailed today! ENJOY!

• GardenMom
    7 years ago

Val, will send stamps soon. Thanks.

• Jey Chidam
    7 years ago

Val, received my package. Thanks a lot!

• Galen xoxox
    7 years ago

Woo hoo! Can't wait. Thank you sooooo much!

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jensyen,

Got your package of newbie seeds..thanks so much! You are so organized and love how you pile the seed envelopes in neat little piles for shipping! The newbies thank you and will benefit from all the extra seeds you share, as always!!

• Galen xoxox
    7 years ago

I just received my newbie seeds and OMG I never expected so much!!! Thank you so much to everyone who donated (and made tiny, adorable seed packages -squee!) and to Val for managing this enterprise! My garden is going to be so happy!

• GardenMom
    7 years ago

Jensyen, I haven't received my newbie adoption kit yet. Just wanted to let you know. And Val, I am still planning to send 8 stamps when I can get them.

• Preservation Creek
    7 years ago

Hi Val, we would look a veggie newbie pack. I just sent you a message. Thanks.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Preserv. Creek - message sent

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

WOW! October went FAST! To those of you who have contacted me, but not sent your stamps, PLEASE DO SO PROMPTLY, as I will continue to offer the packets I have and not hold those for you past a couple weeks to be fair to everyone

Molly - got your stamps and packet going out in tomorrow's mail

Will sip my tea as I get your packet ready to go :D

Susan - Got your paypal, and thank you for the extra. It really helps with the seed packets and other supplies. Your packet is going out in tomorrow's mail as well

• baabaamilker
    7 years ago

Hello, I contacted you last month, and posted my trade list but haven't heard anything. Do I still qualify?

Sponsored