Software
Houzz Logo Print
catherinecamp

Short sale neglected colonial, needs curb appeal boost!

10 years ago

I am hoping to get this short sale property...the shutters are faded and I intend to paint. But the portico is dated and I dislike the large balls on top....any ideas of ways to give this neglected colonial the pop it needs?

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago
    I would also remove the shutters, especially as they are not arched and if they were functional, they would be arched.


    Is there a walkway to the house that just isn't visible in the photo? Is the portion of the house with the shutters a garage? I am having trouble understanding how the house is sited relative to the street.


    If I were going to spend money on anything, it would be the second story center window. It is a little 1980's looking. The rest of the house is reasonably traditional, not too McMansion-ish. I can see why you are interested in it.
    catherinecamp thanked janedoe2012
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would remove the shutters and the top of the portico.

    catherinecamp thanked Julia & Elizabeth
  • 10 years ago

    Do you have a budget range in mind for changes in the near future? I'd get the shrubs pruned and clean up the landscaping before winter. Paint trim and shutters before it gets too cold. Then plan any bigger changes to the portico over the winter, and consult with an architect. You may be able to get a simpler custom window with a less 1980's look fitted to the big window over the portico.

    catherinecamp thanked apple_pie_order
  • 10 years ago

    Remove shutters. They are not appropriate for this home.

    catherinecamp thanked Kris Mays
  • 10 years ago

    You have received good advice above. My remarks are on landscaping. Remove all shrubs blocking or narrowing the view of the entrance. After you make changes to portico and/or columns, rework the railing on the steps. It should be wider and not block view of the door. More like the picture Patricia Colwell offered above. I see two shrubs that need to be trimmed to below window height.

    catherinecamp thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago

    Spend your money on the landscaping. Mow that lawn, make a path to the door. Who cares about balls on the porch railing? Trim the shrubs. Put two planters with fall plants or two pumpkins or something on the porch.

  • 10 years ago
    Couple of things, you need to clean the brick, take down all of the shutters, repaint and get the landscape away from the house. As is so typical of these track homes, someone thought it a good idea to SMOOSH the landscape up against the house, BAD, BAD, IDEA. There should be a minimum of three feet from the house to the EDGE of the first plant. You need air circulation behind plantings, you need them to be out from under the eaves and you need to leave room for them to grow. You also do not want all that moisture that plants retain up against your foundation. You need a sidewalk to the front door to draw your eye to the front door, another issue in recent neighborhoods, no sidewalks to walk the neighborhood and no sidewalks from the street to the front door. I have no idea of your zone, but you can see how bringing the landscape out grounds your home.
    catherinecamp thanked gtcircus
  • 10 years ago

    Great ideas! I do get frustrated by how folks cram these trees up to the houses that are going to eventually get too big, even if they are pruned! It looks so over crowded. I love the flowers idea. So do you think keep the shutters off completely? I was going to paint black or something for contrast but several folks suggest getting rid of them entirely.

  • 10 years ago
    I would keep the shutters to soften the massive brick facade.
    Look through the pages of Houzz to find a very toned down portico. IMO too many people make their houses pretentious instead of welcoming.
    I would also keep the front door single for the same reason....no one opens two doors to welcome guests.
    Next I would remove large overgrown shrubs. It's hard to see from the photo the condition of the other shrubs but they probably need to be pulled as well if they are beyond being invigorated with pruning.
    catherinecamp thanked spraguec
  • 10 years ago

    I agree. I am not at all attracted to the pretentious formal style. The house has good bones, though, just trying to make it less off putting.

  • 10 years ago

    Is there enough room for this kind of roof on the portico?

    catherinecamp thanked emmarene9